Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tire purchase shouldn't be this hard (Read 369 times)
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

tire purchase shouldn't be this hard
04/23/10 at 05:06:54

OK so I'm on bikebandit looking at rear tires, NO tube-type tires AND only one size 140/80.... most the rear 15" tires are 140/90 which is 14mm taller. Has anybody tried riding the taller rear tire? and is it ok to put a tube in a tubeless tire? thanks you savages

WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: tire purchase shouldn't be this hard
Reply #1 - 04/23/10 at 05:59:09

I can't answer about putting a tube in a tubeless tire. As far as using a 140/90, you should be good to go. I haven't had any problems using a 140/90 on my bike and a lot of people here are using that size.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/23/10 at 06:08:37

Putting a tube in a tubless tire is OK, just don't do the opposite (run a tube type tire tubless).

A 130/90 is a good fit and there are plenty of inexpensive options in that size. It comes out to be about .4" (10mm) taller than stock but that's a pretty minor difference. I'm running the Shinko Tourmaster on my wifes S40 and I have no complaints. Good quality tire, very inexpensive and a 100/90-19 is avilable for the front so you can have a matched set.

I have had no problems w/ Bikebandit but check out www.ronayers.com  They have some really good tire prices.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 04/23/10 at 06:28:50

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #4 - 04/23/10 at 06:30:47

thanks gentlemen.. I think I'll try the 140/90 because my brain won't permit me to buy a smaller rear tire (psycho)  Wink

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/23/10 at 06:50:10

IF you are have saddle bag brackets, and put on a 140/90, you COULD have problems with the fender bolts (that hold on the brackets) rubbing the tire.  Anytime you go "larger than stock", check the clearance.
When I was running Dunlop 404s (140/90), I had to grind the bolt heads down a little bit so they wouldn't rub.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #6 - 04/23/10 at 07:09:20

yes I have stock suzuki saddlbag brackets with the long bolts. I'm willing to grind them if that will be all I need to make the 140/90 fit.. is that the only problem you had ??

WWW   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #7 - 04/23/10 at 07:44:47

eBay is where I get my tires....
Just put a 140/90-15 Dunlop Cruzmax $62.00 including shiping.
I go through a back tire a year I usualy get between 8 and 10K miles out of them.
or you could go to the "Darkside"

Kel

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/23/10 at 09:05:43

i gotta put in a plug for the bridgestone spitfires again.
I have 9k miles on them and look to get a lot more.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/23/10 at 09:13:16

sansone wrote on 04/23/10 at 07:09:20:
yes I have stock suzuki saddlbag brackets with the long bolts. I'm willing to grind them if that will be all I need to make the 140/90 fit.. is that the only problem you had ??

That was it.
I did not buy another set of 404s though.  Did not like the handling and they did not last as long as I would like.
I now run Metzeler ME 880 Marathon, and they come in a 140/80 size.
(Much more expensive tire though)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 12:29:06

I run the 140/90 when I had the suzuki saddlebag bars I went to ace hardware and replaced the bolts with a low ht. rounded head bolt with an alen head. These cleared the tire better and don't have sharp edges from the grinder.
The 140/90 rear and 100/90 front Kenda chalengers where installed by the P.O. when I bought mine, and I have been very happy with them.

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 12:50:20

Dunlop K555 fits the rear also, made for Honda PC800 and a load range up from the standard tire which works for me with my hard bags and trunk. Max 96 Bagger and '03 sidecar tug.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 13:10:22

I should preface this by saying that I weigh over 300 pounds, so my tire requirements are probably different than most people's.  Having said that , I run run a Dunlop K404 on the front, and a Dunlop K555 on the rear.  I get over 10,000 miles on a rear tire, and that is the most that I have ever gotten with any tire other than an old Avon touring, which was like riding on a rock.  The tires handle well, especially in rain, and are not overly expensive. I normally go through two sets of tires a year (When I change the rear, I always change the front too, even if it still has some tread.  Besides, it is always such fun to have a new front tire.) I don't plan on changing any time in the near future.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 04/23/10 at 13:18:52

Pirelli route66 are one of the higher rated tires,they made my Suzuki 1500 handle a lot better and also improved the ride which was already good. I have a rear for my s40 but haven't put it on yet. Check out the rating on tires before you buy.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #14 - 04/23/10 at 17:15:01

I'm about halfway through my second Kenda Challenger 140/90.  When I finally rub it off, I'll buy a third one.  I like 'em.  The price is right, and they definitely feel more stable than the IRC hunk o' junk that was on the bike when I bought it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire purchase shouldn't be this hard

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.