New guy checking in (Read 153 times)
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New guy checking in
04/23/10 at 05:03:13

Hi all.
A little about myself. My names Jeremy and I've been snooping around this forum for a while now.

Late last year I finally convinced my wife to give riding a try. She took the MSF course here locally (and did quite well; yes, I'm proud of her Cool) and is till getting used to the whole "2 wheels" thing. I've been riding for probably 15-20yrs if you count the time I spent tearing around my parents yard on dirt bikes. I currently ride a 92 GSXR 750 that I've stripped down into a "streetfighter" w/ a bunch of custom touches. I'm a tinker-er/ fabricator by nature so I just couldn' leave it alone. Grin

We looked at dozens (literally) of bikes when my wife finally decided she wanted to try riding and after a lot of "test fitting" we found the S40 to be a perfect fit for her. She's only 5'1" and kinda small so it was tough finding something that was small and light enough that she could handle it easily and stand flat footed but still had enough power to handle highway speeds and not be "grown out of" in a short time. The Savage was just the ticket. After test riding one for her (she was too scared to as she hadn't taken the course yet) I knew the Savage was a winner. It was lightweight, nimble, easy to handle, and it had the uncanny ability to bring a big smile to you're face when you rode it. These are great little bikes. It is truely a shame that they are often looked upon as "beginner bikes".

Anyway, I'm getting a bit long winded. Roll Eyes Hopefull I can contribute something to what seems to be a very good board w/ some good poeple on here.

IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Re: New guy checking in
Reply #1 - 04/23/10 at 05:18:54

welcome.. you will get lots of valuable help here with a smile... I'm a geezer, been riding full-time for 35yrs and last year decided to replace the old worn out yamaha (90k miles) The savage or S40 was the only thing out there that satisfied me. I've always liked the small lightweight bikes, they feel like part of my body  Wink ..vibrates a bit much, think of it as a tickler  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 04/23/10 at 05:44:15

Welcome to you and the wife!  I love my bike more and more, every time I ride it.  This is only my second season of riding (I'm 44), but my husband had ridden for years too.  Just be patient with her, and encourage her!

And if you are a tinker-er, you'll feel right at home here.  We have some amazing folks who can do about anything and know about every inch of this bike.  

Have the wife to get a logon too!  The more women, the better!  Of course, I think that because I am one...   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #3 - 04/23/10 at 07:28:53

my wife gave riding a try on a suzuki GZ250 that was the perfect newbie bike.. she was afraid.. I was real gentle with her because my frustration would only scare her more.. she is still afraid.. she is only comfortable sitting behind me on my bike.. I need to be gratefull for that and sell her bike

WWW   IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/23/10 at 07:44:49

Yeah. We've been married for almost 10 yrs. and she just now decided to try it. This was WAY outside of her comfort zone but she's done well so far. It's tough to be patient and keep your cool. She's dropped the bike a few times already (always in the drive or the garage thankfully) and it's been tough to just say "it's no big deal" and continue to encourage her. Fortunately, she hasn't been hurt and the bike has only suffered a few minor scratches.

I've always told her: never be afraid to try something new. If you end up not likeing it at least you've tried but you may find something that you love doing. So far she really enjoys riding but it still scares her at times. She just rode in town for the first time a few days back! I keep telling her, as you get more comfortable the fear will fade away and the enjoyment will take over.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 04/23/10 at 08:00:57

I still get scared too.  That's natural.... and healthy, I think!  I didn't think a motorcycle was out of my comfort zone, but I quickly found out I was wrong...  backwards, huh.  But there were a couple times that I thought riding wasn't for me.  He11, there's plenty of room on the back of the hubby's C90!  I still like riding with him from time to time too.  Its good "education".  But man, when I wind my little S40 up, its a whole new feeling.  

Oh, do you have any communication device?  We bought a Scala Rider Teamset (Ebay, used, good deal) bluetooth headset.  It has been a huge help to me to be able to communicate with my husband while we ride.  If I have questions, I can ask immediately.  I almost feel lost when I ride without him.  But its all good!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
FL Native
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deland, Florida
Reply #6 - 04/23/10 at 08:27:40

WELCOME to the Savage Zone Cheesy
Don't give up on your wife riding yet. I got my S40 in November of 09, I think) and din't actually ride it until February or so of this year. Then, when no one was home, I would take her out and wash her, and play with her  Undecided(lol) and finally one day, I said to heck with this, I started her up, walked her to the road, took a deep breath, and away I went. Grin I only went around my neighborhood at first, then started riding her to "bike nites" and now I ride her to the store, to get nails done, haircut, etc. even sometimes "just to ride". I still ride with hubby on longer trips, but am building confidence daily. BTW, this is the BEST place for any questions.  WinkEveryone on here will give you an honest answer, even if it seem like a silly question.
So, WELCOME!     and     Thank you  all !      Grin

Chrissie

Carpe Diem, Carpe Noctem
  IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/23/10 at 09:01:10

I don't mean to sound like she's ready to quit, quite the contrary. She really is enjoying it and is getting more comfortable in the saddle every time she goes out.

Unfortunately, our kids are 4 and 2 so we don't get too many rides together yet. Sometime soon we will have to find a sitter though so we can go cruise somwhere. Cool

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/23/10 at 09:03:55

welcome!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 04/23/10 at 09:59:29

FL Native wrote on 04/23/10 at 08:27:40:
WELCOME to the Savage Zone Cheesy
Don't give up on your wife riding yet. I got my S40 in November of 09, I think) and din't actually ride it until February or so of this year. Then, when no one was home, I would take her out and wash her, and play with her  Undecided(lol) and finally one day, I said to heck with this, I started her up, walked her to the road, took a deep breath, and away I went. Grin I only went around my neighborhood at first, then started riding her to "bike nites" and now I ride her to the store, to get nails done, haircut, etc. even sometimes "just to ride". I still ride with hubby on longer trips, but am building confidence daily. BTW, this is the BEST place for any questions.  WinkEveryone on here will give you an honest answer, even if it seem like a silly question.
So, WELCOME!     and     Thank you  all !      Grin

Chrissie

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy106/Chrissie2010_pics/Picture031.jpg

Thats the best way to learn,taking your time.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 10:36:52

welcome to you and mrs LS650   Wink

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 11:56:26

Congrats to you and your wife...new bike and new skills and spring is here. Summer riding just around the corner. I hope you do find some time away from the kids to go have some fun in the sun on two wheels Cheesy

Welcome to the boards!

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 14:39:02

Welcome and smooth safe riding to you both!! hopefully one day I'll get my wife over her fear of bikes and get her on one....

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-- T.S. Eliot
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #13 - 04/24/10 at 23:26:29

cursal wrote on 04/23/10 at 11:56:26:
Congrats to you and your wife...new bike and new skills and spring is here. Summer riding just around the corner. I hope you do find some time away from the kids to go have some fun in the sun on two wheels Cheesy

Welcome to the boards!

as a texan i still think it's amusing when you guys talk about the "riding season" Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:24:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New guy checking in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.