Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
gonna stab petcock!!!!!! (Read 418 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
gonna stab petcock!!!!!!
04/22/10 at 23:21:52

ok, so she decided to shut off on me a couple of times, all but once while in idle....switch to prime and voila! which leads to the freaking petcock again...BUT after she was warmed up i put her back into ON and she was fine....

i don't want to switch to a raptor, i'm being stubborn now since i just replaced the diaphram!!!!

should i replace the hoses? maybe i'll check the mixture screw, oh and summer is coming up, should i go to a thicker oil? i'm runnin 10w40 right now

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Re: gonna stab petcock!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 04/23/10 at 04:02:20

Rocco wrote on 04/22/10 at 23:21:52:
ok, so she decided to shut off on me a couple of times, all but once while in idle....switch to prime and voila! which leads to the freaking petcock again...BUT after she was warmed up i put her back into ON and she was fine....

i don't want to switch to a raptor, i'm being stubborn now since i just replaced the diaphram!!!!

should i replace the hoses? maybe i'll check the mixture screw, oh and summer is coming up, should i go to a thicker oil? i'm runnin 10w40 right now

Rocco,
When my savage started that crap (mostly at speed in traffic) Angry  I installed a clear in line fuel filter (always a good thing to have) that way I could see that it had no fuel in the filter and it had to be the petcock.
The savage is the only one of my 14 bikes over the last 46 years without a manual petcock, so my raptor upgrade works great for me. The savage has never ran better!
BTW... It's not been the end of the world to forget to turn it off, I have only had one flooding carb to date even on the old 4 carb honda 750. That said, you should always turn it off. It will only take one or two times of running out of gas in the first few yards to learn to turn it back on when you turn on the key. Grin Grin

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #2 - 04/23/10 at 04:43:49

on my yamaha I was able to remove the factory petcock, disassemble it and remove the vacuume feature. It still had a functioning reserve

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/23/10 at 05:25:07

If the vacuum operated petcock, and the vacuum hose to it is in good condition, and you know for a fact that the valve is shutting down, I would have to suspect the engine manifold vacuum being lower than normal. If vacuum is not as high as it should be, I would wonder if compression is what it should be.
Is engine performance as good as it should be ?
Maybe a compression test is in order ? Low compression, or even late valve timing will definently cause low vacuum, and low vacuum will definently cause the petcock valve to shut down.

As I see it on my vac gauge, manifold vacuum on this single cylinder is not very hi anyway, (10in @ idle) and 3-5 when cruising at hi speeds, so anything less than the normal could easily cause the valve to shut down.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 04/23/10 at 06:18:07

i'll eventually put a raptor on(no choice i guess!) lol

and routy, i have no idea how to do a compression check! but she ran great in "on" after i put a new diaphram in......

i have no clue, but i wanna shank it! LOL

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #5 - 04/23/10 at 07:56:31

I had a 81 Gs550l with a vacumme valve that I was too Cheep to rebuild or replace so I got some 1/4'" hose a couple of Brass hose barbs and a 1/4" ball valve gutted the vacumme valve and put the ball valve between the Carbs and my inline fuel filter coming from the tank and plugged the vacumme port on the Carbs.
figgures out that wide open was too much gas but about half wat was great.
Miles of smiles

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 04/23/10 at 08:30:53

is the vacuum valve in the petcock? lol

and i 4got to ask, where and how to i put in a fuel filter and where do i get the stuff?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 04/23/10 at 08:36:57

Hows the screen on the petcock? & the tank? Have you dumped it & flushed it? If Im having fuel issues, I want to know that the tank is clean. The inline ( clear, see thru ) filter has to be a great idea.
I think its such a good idea, everyone should be forced to do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/23/10 at 08:58:05

If a motorcycle needed and inline filter they would we on them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #9 - 04/23/10 at 11:39:58

wow man, you describe my petcock problem.

I have not gotten the raptor petcock yet, mean time i have been leaving it on prime, so far its been alright..

For me, one thing i notice is when shes about to cut out, pull the vacuum line cover the hole on carb and she perks right up again. during that little test i had the vacuum line open (not plugged) (while petcock in run position)

same token before she cuts out switch to prime and she perks up again..

i went to advanced and auto zone stores to barrow a compression test but they dont have any adaptors for our plug..

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 11:50:13

My bike had a clear in-line fuel filter when I got it.
My petcock is shot and I am running it in prime all the time. Works fine.

But...the in-line filter allowed me to quickly diagnose the problem the first time I look at why I stalling out (in traffic ).

There is no real need for it, but it did help in this case.

I plan on replacing it with same one, STOCK, from Ron Ayers
http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/PartNumber/44300-24B00/Source/SU

it's $70 bucks.

I'm still on the fence about rejetting..now would be a good time for that eh?
I would need a new muffler though to go with the re-jet and I don't the extra cash for that right now.
Open to suggestion. or links on how's it done, what's needed and True slip on parts with part #s

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 11:51:19

Blocked screens are very common.   When you take your tank off pop the petcock and blast the screen with carb cleaner.

I had such issue when I was a puppy too -- was a varnish blocked screen.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 11:57:25

mine has inline clear filter, and your so right about that, you can even tell when your out of gas without openeing the tank!

i think rocco took his petcock apart recently when he replaced the diaphram, as for me that sounds like a good idea, last time i checked it out (about 6mo)  it looked great..

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/23/10 at 12:07:16

I did the petcock mod and left it in the 'on' position.  If you dismantle it you will see that it is cheaply designed, and as so many members have discovered, unreliable.  I installed a quality in line ball valve, and an automobile fuel filter.  Works like a charm.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #14 - 04/23/10 at 12:31:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/23/10 at 08:36:57:
I think its such a good idea, everyone should be forced to do it.

Grin Grin Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gonna stab petcock!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.