Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
shifting apparently lol (Read 438 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
shifting apparently lol
04/22/10 at 12:17:45

well this is my first bike, and i learned to ride on her. while i was learning to take off i would let the clutch out all the way and she would stall....i was thinking it was like a car...my friend explained that it's a wet clutch and u have to be a little on the clutch while moving...like a little throttle and a little clutch...

apparently i hold the clutch in just a little long, my friend said he heard it when i rode another bike and did the same thing. if i let the clutch out with no throttle the bike kinda jerks a little bit and doesn't sound as good exhaust wise but when i do it evenly(clutch half way out a little throttle then even them out) she roars!!

SO am i wrong in how i shift? is it harmful to the bike? i don't like the sound she makes when i don't shift my way....

what do u guys think?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: shifting apparently lol
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 13:12:04

Use it, to make shifts smooth,... but the longer you take to shift and the more you slip the clutch, the faster you'll wear it out...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 04/22/10 at 14:14:59

i hear ya, i guess it's a hard question to ask online lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 04/22/10 at 14:27:30

Rocco wrote on 04/22/10 at 12:17:45:
my friend explained that it's a wet clutch and u have to be a little on the clutch while moving

What your friend is describing is like riding the clutch in a car. Not exactly a good thing. As stated above, you can burn the clutch out prematurely doing that.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 04/22/10 at 14:58:16

Rocco wrote on 04/22/10 at 12:17:45:
well this is my first bike, and i learned to ride on her. while i was learning to take off i would let the clutch out all the way and she would stall....i was thinking it was like a car...my friend explained that it's a wet clutch and u have to be a little on the clutch while moving...like a little throttle and a little clutch...

apparently i hold the clutch in just a little long, my friend said he heard it when i rode another bike and did the same thing. if i let the clutch out with no throttle the bike kinda jerks a little bit and doesn't sound as good exhaust wise but when i do it evenly(clutch half way out a little throttle then even them out) she roars!!

SO am i wrong in how i shift? is it harmful to the bike? i don't like the sound she makes when i don't shift my way....

what do u guys think?

You friend is telling you the right way,Your just letting it out a little to slow.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/22/10 at 14:59:08

Just ride a lot. You will figure it out.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 04/22/10 at 23:19:17

haha i tried to get off the clutch faster then before but before it jerks the bike.....i think i'm gettin the hang of it lol

who knew right? i guess i took the "keep the clutch in a little while in 1st" a little too seriously  Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 04/23/10 at 05:50:13

But at the same time, I find myself clutching this bike a lot at very low speed,......and even some on a normal take off. IMO, 1st gear is plenty hi ratio, and if riding in B-B traffic, or like in a parade, you will be using the clutch as a lower gear.
But don't fear,.....I'm sure that a wet clutch will handle a lot of idle speed clutching.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/23/10 at 16:53:56

Rocco wrote on 04/22/10 at 23:19:17:
haha i tried to get off the clutch faster then before but before it jerks the bike.....i think i'm gettin the hang of it lol

who knew right? i guess i took the "keep the clutch in a little while in 1st" a little too seriously  Grin

Another thing that might help you is to get the hang of using the throttle and clutch in unison after a while it just becomes a natural movement and that is when you become a smooth operator.  Also when taking off you need to give it a little gas as you are letting the clutch out this will make your starts much smoother and is also easier on the bike.  Or you could just do what Phelonius said and ride ride ride.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 04/23/10 at 17:04:14

About 10 minutes in an empty parking lot this weekend should do it for you.  In 1st gear, start to let the clutch out.  Before you feel the bike start to move, turn the throttle just a hair while letting the clutch continue on its journey.  You'll move out smooth as a baby's behind (or land on yours if you did too much throttle)> Grin

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 04/23/10 at 20:25:20

this is the crazy part, i never had a problem shifting, i don't stall or anything....very seldom i don't shift all the way into 2nd but no biggie !!!

i've been riding a year, and i didn't have a problem til he said something lol now i'm paranoid!!!!

she takes off smooth, and she runs smooth he just said i am a little slow on lettin the clutch out, but if i do it any other way she jerks....so i must be rubbing her the right way....and the bike isn't being harmed either  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/23/10 at 20:38:29

Quote:
while i was learning to take off i would let the clutch out all the way and she would stall

Quote:
my friend explained that it's a wet clutch and u have to be a little on the clutch while moving...like a little throttle and a little clutch..

You need a tach... rev it to about twice idle and hold it steady, then slip the clutch in

Quote:
if i let the clutch out with no throttle the bike kinda jerks a little bit and doesn't sound as good exhaust wise

aka lugging it, real newbish.

Quote:
but when i do it evenly(clutch half way out a little throttle then even them out) she roars!

as said above, hold the throttle steady til the bike catches up, then twist it and go.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/23/10 at 22:00:51

Ehhh, get in a lot & slow play the throttle & ease the clutch out. If it dies, use more throttle, If it slips too much, use less. Its not a science or an art, its a combo. People have been rubbibg vehicles with clutches for a long time. Its no biggeee, go ride the danged thing & have fun. If you cook a clutch, you can fix it, then you can work to do better, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #13 - 04/24/10 at 22:34:11

have any of you guys ever taken the msf courses (beginner and experienced) ?? almost the entire course is about the "friction zone". and how a motorcycle clutch i different from a car. they tell you to find that place in the clutch( about 1/8 out) and hold it there with a steady throttle and use the clutch to control your low speeds. if you cant master this then you cant pass the course.....after doing this shifting is just second nature....feeling for it

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #14 - 04/24/10 at 22:40:59

after reading my post my explanation didnt seem very good. anyways what i am saying is that in second and first..especially first..the clutch is your friend. you can ride with the clutch halfway engaged, it's not gonna damage the thing. you may have to eventually replace it but your gonna do a lot more replacing before that becomes an issue. so rather than jerking all around in first, use the clutch as your speed control and then roll on throttle and ease off clutch. the best shift for you bike is one that doesnt lag or jerk. experience will produce this but it shouldnt  take more than a few weeks to gain that experience

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:31:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting apparently lol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.