Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
.50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags (Read 179 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

.50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags
04/22/10 at 05:04:56

I have two .50 cal ammo boxes (11” long, 7.5” high and 5.5” wide) and am thinking about constructing saddle bags from them that are easily and quickly removed.

It seems I could use aluminum stock and make 2 L shaped brackets for each side, use rubber mounts and bolt them to the side rails. I have a 2007 with 13.5” shocks. Would have to relocate tail-lights.  

Anyone done anything like this before?

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: .50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 06:02:41

I know Rocco has ammo cans (or can?) on his bike.  Can't remember how he did the mount though. Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 04/22/10 at 07:44:02

i have a .30 cal, i thought the .50 was a little too big, and i was goin to put both but then i didn't like the "mini roadking" look it had LOL!

i just drilled holes through the box and fender, couple of o rings for water sealing, i could just unscrew it if i want to take it off(i had a can of dew explode in it SO being watertight it didn't go anywhere lol, took it off to clean out)

looking back, i didn't even measure where the holes were going, i kinda just eyeballed them on the box, then the fender lol lucky it worked!

this is an old pic btw, almost everything is flat black now, including the handlebars as of yesterday lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 04/22/10 at 07:45:36

oh word of wisdom, make sure they open towards the front of the bike, opposite of what i have lol

so if u are looking @ the bike from behind u can see the latch, if not it'll rip the seat....don't ask me how i know  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/22/10 at 08:34:53

Thanks Rocco. I hadn't thought about mounting directly without a bracket, but that makes sense. Keeps the profile more narrow and much simplier.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/22/10 at 09:29:04

Because of road shocks and vibration, I would trust steel rather than aluminum for the mounts.  The difference in weight between steel and aluminum mounts is about 2 or three pounds.  If your bike can't carry 3 more pounds maybe it has other problems.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/22/10 at 10:16:57

my thought about aluminum was it would absorb road vibration better than steel. However, aluminum also reaches fatigue quicker than steel and the S40 is not exactly a smooth enough ride to split dimonds on. I might just look at Rocco's method and not use a bracket.

Weight is not an issue.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 04/22/10 at 11:59:06

yeah! 4get the brackets & drill a couple of holes, go to home depot grab a couple of long bolts and nuts, and your done!

harbor freight sells a whole pack of metal bits for cheap, i think i paid 11 bucks for every size and 8 bucks @ home depot for 1!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:35:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › .50 cal ammo cans for saddle bags

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.