Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
bike making "chirping" sound (Read 564 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: bike making "chirping" sound
Reply #15 - 04/22/10 at 06:12:40

I always use earplugs when I ride, because of the wind noise. I didn't even realize the belt was squeaking until I happened to drive the bike a short distance without the earplugs. Earplugs work best for high-frequency noises, which seems to include squeaks and chirps. I think I got the belt squeak cured, but I have no idea whether the speedometer or the headlight might be making noise.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #16 - 04/22/10 at 09:19:02

Quote:
I always use earplugs when I ride, because of the wind noise. I didn't even realize the belt was squeaking until I happened to drive the bike a short distance without the earplugs. Earplugs work best for high-frequency noises, which seems to include squeaks and chirps. I think I got the belt squeak cured, but I have no idea whether the speedometer or the headlight might be making noise.

I've heard your not supposed to drive while wearing headphones because you can't hear horns and sirens etc.  just wondering if riding with earplugs are a good idea.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/22/10 at 11:45:16

ride it without ear plugs, at least for a short trip regularly, to keep in tune with the normal noises.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #18 - 04/22/10 at 19:25:39

My 06 S40 has a chatter on acceleration. Turns out that it can be modified to a degree by adjusting the mixture screw. I believe this chatter is actually a type of pre-ignition. Premium gas did not help, but richening the mixture screw quieted it until the engine became hot. I have done the spacer mod, but may need to completely remove it. My mechanic said that some big singles make firing noises I think due to the flame spread across the large piston.

« Last Edit: 04/23/10 at 06:30:11 by Ebikerman »  

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
sansone
YaBB Newbies

gary@sansoneservices
.com

Reply #19 - 04/23/10 at 04:56:48

my belt chirp (too loose) drove me nuts until somebody here told me to tighten it. Your chirp happens at idle so that rules-out the belt. On the recording it sounds like a valve/cam chirp. Try changing the oil, I like the synthetic Rotella diesel rated oil 15w-40.. this may start an argument  Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/23/10 at 08:29:31

Yeah, it does it at idling, so I'm guessing not the belt.  I could change the oil, but I've changed the oil and filter less than 500 miles ago.  I'm using the synthetic Rotella diesel oil as well, although I seem to recall it being 5w40, but I don't really remember.

Could I have caused damage by leaving fuel in the oil?  I'm not 100% sure there was fuel in the oil, but I was having petcock problems for a while, and around that time it seemed that the oil level went up a little, so that was my guess.  For some reason I never actually took the time to see if it smelled like gas.  It was enough to raise the oil level a little, but it didn't seem like very much, so I just figured it'd burn off.

I'll check the speedo, although it does sound like it's coming from the muffler, so I was thinking something in the engine was causing it.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/23/10 at 09:37:43

The chirp is the bike saying "I want a chain drive" in bike language.

I put the front pully on one side of my garage and the rear pully in another and gave away the belt.
I set up the machine for a 530 chain and sprocket .
It no longer chirps
For an improvement search this site for snoodleflapper.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 04/23/10 at 09:50:40

Bryan wrote on 04/23/10 at 08:29:31:
Yeah, it does it at idling, so I'm guessing not the belt.  I could change the oil, but I've changed the oil and filter less than 500 miles ago.  I'm using the synthetic Rotella diesel oil as well, although I seem to recall it being 5w40, but I don't really remember.

Could I have caused damage by leaving fuel in the oil?  I'm not 100% sure there was fuel in the oil, but I was having petcock problems for a while, and around that time it seemed that the oil level went up a little, so that was my guess.  For some reason I never actually took the time to see if it smelled like gas.  It was enough to raise the oil level a little, but it didn't seem like very much, so I just figured it'd burn off.

I'll check the speedo, although it does sound like it's coming from the muffler, so I was thinking something in the engine was causing it.

I would change the oil and put in motorcycle oil and at  least 10+40 oil I use 15+50 and I live in Wisconsin.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/24/10 at 20:11:47

bill67 wrote on 04/23/10 at 09:50:40:
Bryan wrote on 04/23/10 at 08:29:31:

I would change the oil and put in motorcycle oil and at  least 10+40 oil I use 15+50 and I live in Wisconsin.

Really?  it seems I read somewhere that synthetic oils usually come in smaller numbers (i.e. 5W 40 instead of 15W 40) and that a 5W 40 synthetic isn't the same as 15W 40 dino because it performs better.  But I don't know.

Anyway, I've found all kinds of things wrong with the bike.  The heat shield on the muffler was missing two bolts, and there was a nut missing from the brace the muffler bolts on to in the back.  The nut that was there was so loose I could turn it with my fingers.

The bolts where the exhaust bolts to the engine were both loose.  When I took the gas tank off, the speedo cable fell completely off, so it must not've been on there tight.  I went ahead and invested in some of that blue goo you put on bolts to keep em from vibrating loose.  I can tell I'm gonna need it.  One of the painted metal covers on the side fell off the other day cause the screw had worked its way out.  wish i'd known beforehand, now it's all scratched up.  maybe some good wisdom to pass onto newbies like myself.

I adjusted the valve clearance since I've never done that before, and I had trouble finding TDC on the compression stroke because the Clymer says you'll find it when "both rocker arms have free play."  The exhaust rocker arms were the only ones that had any free play at all, and both sets had way less than minimum clearance.  Could that have caused my noise?  I still haven't started it yet cause I also tightened the bolts on the cylinder head so I'm waiting for the gasket goo to dry.

I'm also running the "hot" spark plug.  I was told that it didn't matter, but according to the Clymer, the hot plug is only for "low speeds, low engine loads and low temperatures," so I'm wondering if the spark plug could be an issue as well...

Sorry for these long posts, it just seems like one thing after another.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 04/24/10 at 20:17:05

I wouldn't use a hotter plug than the standard it calls for.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #25 - 04/24/10 at 22:04:11

i have never had a chirping sound at idle so i may nott be much help. but..this bike is full of rattles of various and unimportant types. the first i noticed was the speedo, which i fixed with some silicone on the mount screw. and now i can hear the headlight rattle when riding at mid to high rpm in second and third gear. other than that i have no chirping. i have hear that when you hear that it means you need to adjust your valves but it seems youve done that. torque up everything you can.

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/25/10 at 18:02:01

Well, cranked her up today after letting the gasket goo dry, and she's chirping just as much as ever, even after all the problems I found and (hopefully) corrected.

A couple more observations:

The chirping seemed to increase as I gave it more gas.  In fact, once the bike warmed up and I pushed the choke in, I couldn't hear chirping unless I gave it gas.

The bike has been backfiring really loudly the last couple of times as I turn it off.  I always thought that was good, cause it seems to backfire louder when it runs well, as opposed to when I was having petcock issues and it was running rough.  But does that really mean anything?

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/10/10 at 09:06:00

I was gonna take a look at the cam chain and see if that was causing the noise, but I wasn't exactly looking forward to draining the oil, taking the exhaust and engine cover off, and having to replace gaskets, etc.  I woke up with a stiff neck the day I was planning on working on it, so I finally gave in and took it to a shop.

They started it up, listened, and told me that it was simply a matter of the exhaust being rusted internally.  Thankfully they weren't crooks and didn't charge me anything.

so... I shoulda just taken Routy's advice and just ridden it.  at least I can have the peace of mind now that I'm not causing any damage and can finally just go out and ride Smiley

what can I say...  this is my first bike, and I'm paranoid.  I'm definitely way less concerned when it comes to my car.  I had it looked at a year ago cause the steering/suspension was making a terrible noise and they told me one of my wheels was about to fall off.  I've been driving it since--just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/10/10 at 09:10:20

Bryan wrote on 04/25/10 at 18:02:01:
The bike has been backfiring really loudly the last couple of times as I turn it off.  I always thought that was good, cause it seems to backfire louder when it runs well, as opposed to when I was having petcock issues and it was running rough.  But does that really mean anything?

Give the idle mixture screw a 1/8 to 1/4 turn CCW to richen it up a little and reduce it down to a poof.

WWW   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #29 - 06/09/10 at 08:56:55

I had this same chirp .. come to find out i had a loose vaccum hose or pin hole in it... i changed vaccum hose and the chirp went away.. now i dont worry about that as i am using a yamaha assy and dont need the vaccum line.. good luck

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:39:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike making "chirping" sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.