Flames? (Read 297 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Flames?
04/21/10 at 07:22:14

Dropped a K&N filter into my ride yesterday, now it is popping between shifts and when I wind it up and close the throttle hard it shoots flames...can't be good (but it does look cool).
Was running great B4 the new air filter (still does) but I'm confused... Huh Don't flames indicate too rich? I thought it would go leaner with the new airfilter.
I'm running at a mile high, 1/2 spacer, stock jets, open pipe and 2 1/2 turns out on the air mix screw.
I was actually getting ready to go up one on the main but now I'm not so sure... Undecided
I'm wondering if dropping 60 bucks on the K&N was a good idea.
Any ideas would be welcome
Thanks,

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Flames?
Reply #1 - 04/21/10 at 07:41:59

I'd bet the new filter isn't causing the backfiring.
Different fuels, different humidity, different temps, can all make a difference in the amount of backfire.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 04/21/10 at 08:54:06

Thanks Routy but hat was the only thing that changed between Sunday and yesterday...I'm pretty darn sure I didn't have flames shooting out the back on Sunday and the temp/altitude and gas all were constant.
But like I said, wouldn't the higher air flow lean it out rather then richen it?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 04/21/10 at 09:12:00

The first question I have is what makes you think the new K&N air filter flows more air? Paper filters as installed by original manufacturers actually flow and filter quite well.

Seems to me we had someone else post about problems they had after cleaning a K&N filter. I think their problem involved leaving too much of the K&N oil in the filter element, which restricted flow. I have never used a K&N, so cannot speak from direct experience.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/10 at 09:26:22

you're running lean. the K&N flows much more air than any paper element.  Theresa reason thay advertise it out flows a paper filter and makes more power (when jetted accordingly). Same with free floing exhaust.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/21/10 at 09:35:09

Perhaps I am a little cynical, but I would point out that K&N wouldn't sell many filters if they didn't advertise better airflow and more power. They also advertise how long the filters last, but don't mention the mess of cleaning them. It is also said (but not by K&N) that the extra air flow comes at the expense of poorer filtration, especially of smaller particles such as airborne dust.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 04/21/10 at 09:37:31

I have a few days of rain/crummy weather here. I'm going to try and drop in the next size main I received from Lancer's kit and see if that helps, I'f it still flames out I'll try the pilot w/ bleed holes. If that doesn't help then maybe I'll try the enrichment valve mod.
If all else fails, I'll go backwards in steps and eventually end up with a stock bike again...haha Grin

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 04/21/10 at 09:49:31

erm yes i had problems that extenuated after cleaning and re oiling my k&n   i have no idea at all what's up all i know is im running lean on full throttle, which i will investigate and get to the bottom of when i get back off holiday.  Wink

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/21/10 at 15:07:22

Charon wrote on 04/21/10 at 09:35:09:
Perhaps I am a little cynical, but I would point out that K&N wouldn't sell many filters if they didn't advertise better airflow and more power. They also advertise how long the filters last, but don't mention the mess of cleaning them. It is also said (but not by K&N) that the extra air flow comes at the expense of poorer filtration, especially of smaller particles such as airborne dust.

Its the closest thing to an oil bath air cleaner without getting one. Ever wonder why oiling an air clearn element came about?? Dry guaze and paper filters olny get so much. To fix this, the use of a pre filter was adopted. Helped , but still needed improvement. Then someone decided to oil the foam on the prefilter. Hmmm, works well, but still restricted air flow. Ditched the paper and desined a pleated filter that will trap oil and allow the most airflow without losing the oil into the motor.

They only make a mess when you over oil them or squish them in the filter box. Cleaning is very easy, drop it in a bucket of hot soapy watr and shake it around, let it air dry or take the compressor to it. You could hit it with a preassure washer, you can hit it with carb cleaner. You can clean it in the solvent tank. Dishwashers work great. Re oiling isn't that difficult as long as you read the dirctions and 'spin' it after a few minutes to let it run. By spin I mean shaking the excess out, if any. All my K&N filters are round, so thats why I spin mine. I have had it on the dyno with and without K&N filters and they work, period.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/21/10 at 15:42:30

Yeah, I believe they mite give a touch more performance, but so will running w/o any air filter at all. Where ya gonna draw the line ?
And there ain't a warranty on earth that is worth a plug nickle w/ a K&N installed. But hey, its your motor,...... do what you're gonna do !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #10 - 04/21/10 at 18:11:22

I've run a K&N for the last 12 months or so with no issues. Also a mile high, 2008 S40, no engine mods. It is popping a little more this week than last but not dramatically so. I think the change in temp (cooler) and possibly humidity may be contributing to the issue.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 04/22/10 at 06:23:31

Thanks Smilin', what kind of exhaust are you running?
Are you in Denver?

I pulled my carb last night and checked the jets (the main is a 145) and I plan to swap it out with a 150. I'll give that a try and see what happens. Even at a mile high I think a 145 is pretty small. I also swapped out my spark plug...the old one wasn't bad (very light tan) but I was a little worried because when I pulled the old one I could back it out by hand!!! Shocked
If it's still popping/banging next week I may go up to the pilot w/ bleed holes.
Thanks everyone...

IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #12 - 04/22/10 at 18:52:51

I'm in Lakewood. My exhaust is stock. It is my first bike so when I purchased it I got the extended warranty and have been reserved in making any mods that may void the warranty. One year left, thinking about foregoing the last year. Good luck!

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/22/10 at 19:01:00

Routy wrote on 04/21/10 at 15:42:30:
Yeah, I believe they mite give a touch more performance, but so will running w/o any air filter at all. Where ya gonna draw the line ?
And there ain't a warranty on earth that is worth a plug nickle w/ a K&N installed. But hey, its your motor,...... do what you're gonna do !

Actually, youll make less power with no filter. You need a longer 'air horn' to make more power. Regardless, the facts stand on their own, the K&N flows better than any pleated filter and an oil soked type filter stops more debris. Always has, always will.... Smiley

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/22/10 at 19:04:01

SmilinLDR wrote on 04/22/10 at 18:52:51:
I'm in Lakewood. My exhaust is stock. It is my first bike so when I purchased it I got the extended warranty and have been reserved in making any mods that may void the warranty. One year left, thinking about foregoing the last year. Good luck!

Warrantys are void only on the parts you change. Went through this on my Dads Triumph when we chaged the exhaust and the shifter seal started leaking....everything was still under warrabty, except the exhaust pipes/emmissions system....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:18:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flames?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.