bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Flames?
Reply #15 - 04/22/10 at 19:14:32

einheit13 wrote on 04/22/10 at 19:01:00:
Routy wrote on 04/21/10 at 15:42:30:
Yeah, I believe they mite give a touch more performance, but so will running w/o any air filter at all. Where ya gonna draw the line ?
And there ain't a warranty on earth that is worth a plug nickle w/ a K&N installed. But hey, its your motor,...... do what you're gonna do !

Actually, youll make less power with no filter. You need a longer 'air horn' to make more power. Regardless, the facts stand on their own, the K&N flows better than any pleated filter and an oil soked type filter stops more debris. Always has, always will.... Smiley

I've put k&n filter in cars and motorcycles and couldn't see any improvement in power or gas mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/22/10 at 20:30:26

bill67 wrote on 04/22/10 at 19:14:32:
I've put k&n filter in cars and motorcycles and couldn't see any improvement in power or gas mileage.

Typically you won't unless you tune for it. Any upgrade requires tuning-car or bike (non computer). My trak ride picked up and revved quicker. Had to retune the carb a little. I took my XJ750 from 13.10 to 12.87 with 1 up on the main jet. opened up the airbox and went 12.80. took off the filter and went 12.83. installed a big K&N and went 12.76. Gutted the pipes and went 12.61. Removed the air box and ysed EMGO pods, 12.60. Switched to K&N pods and 12.53. Switched to a big K&N oval and went 12.50......next is a tuned 4/2-2/1 combo with a long collector and a huge muffler.

My Dad's 05 America picked up 5 HP at the rear wheel with a swith to BUB pipes and a shim on the needles. Added K&N filters for 2 more. Now the rear wheel HP is the same as the BHP at the motor, 66.

Ya can't feel 2hp, but you can feel the change in throttle respnse/carb 'attitude'.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 04/22/10 at 22:17:03

Bill wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
And you never will, except under WOT ! And how many seconds can we operate under WOT?
But when I was younger and played w/ this kinda stuff all the time, I could feel a performance gain in a lot of the mods we did, but only after mixing some imagination in w/ it all Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 04/23/10 at 06:59:52

Pretty darn proud of myself...This was the first time I pulled everything to get to the carb. I managed to change the spacer to a half size a while back w/o having to pull the carb off the bike. This was the first time I pulled a carb on anything other than a lawnmower.
Dropped in the 150 main, replaced all the crappy screws with stainless socket head screws, replaced the spark plug and then reinstalled the carb....fired up the first time and sounded SWEET!

Unfortunately, it was pouring rain so I didn't take her out for a spin.
I must say tho' that it seemed like a lot of work to get to stuff...fun just the same.

I appreciate all the feedback on the filter war but the K&N is in there and it's not coming out now! I'll probably never have to look at it again since the recommended maintenance is after 50,000 miles!

With my new found confidence I plan to adjust the valves, adjust the decomp, change the front pads and check the cam adjuster when I get new tires...
What a fun little ride!

P.S. Smilin, I work in Lakewood. This is also my first bike. We should try and meet up sometime and ride the twisties up through Morrison.
P.M. me if you're interested.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:29:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flames?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.