Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WOT lean issue (Read 307 times)
jabman

England
WOT lean issue
04/19/10 at 07:10:17

hi folks

ive got a strange problem with my bike in the 3/4 to full throttle range. Its strong at low openings and mid openings but splutters and surges under full or near full throttle. It also blued my dyna pipe really badly. ive always had this problem but it never bothered me because i rarely used to use more then 1/2 throttle, and since i cleaned my k&n filter the problem has worsened.

Before i would get this at about 1/2 throttle, but i raised my float height (because it was too low), went from a 165 main to a 177.5 main and moved the circlip up to the middle ring because the midrange went to rich,  and cleaned out my carb with carb cleaner and compressed air.

ive also ran some carb cleaner in the fuel, current jets in sig

any suggestions before i move to yet another bigger main jet?? Undecided

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: WOT lean issue
Reply #1 - 04/19/10 at 08:24:15

You changed the exhaust to a more free flowing exhaust & didnt rejet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/19/10 at 08:31:21

Are those mikuni  or dynojet  main jets your using?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/19/10 at 08:59:02

Noted that you're in ENGLAND and those maybe METRIC jets.

For your reference, state side those are really big jets.
From your discription, I'm thinking you're too rich.
What's your plug look like?
Blueing can be caused by rich conditions as well.

WWW   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 04/19/10 at 09:31:34

thanks   i am using genuine mikuni jets  the large round type.

the reason i say think i am lean is because the inside of the pipe has no carbon on it at all and the greased brake arm which is near the opening of the muffler also is not blackened

when i had a rich midrange and a still lean WOT, after a ride i would see that my brake arm was blackened with soot but the exhaust was not, so the only explanation was that the rich midrange made the soot and the lean WOT burned off all the carbon in the pipe. raising the circlip fixed this but im still left with a lean full throttle.  Undecided

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/19/10 at 09:32:40

Might also be a sticky slide,... or clogged main jet?... if you are really lean,...
...but like Versy says,... you kinda' sound rich... and those jets are big numbers...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #6 - 04/19/10 at 09:42:24

when i cleaned my filter I poked my little finger in and it it the slide smoothly went all the way up and down     will post a pic of the jets im using

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/19/10 at 09:51:09

Okay,... so we'll assume that your slide is good....
Make sure that you have the washer under main jet,... they get lost sometimes... That main jet is the largest I've ever heard of anyone using...  Mine is a #150... w/a dyna and a k/n..
people at sea level are usually using #152.5 or #155... maybe a few with #157.5...

What is your average MPG?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/19/10 at 10:01:41

man that's why I was asking about dyno's vs. mikuni's - the dyno's run roughly 10 numbers higher for the same size jet - what you are using seems far too big - 152.5 here at sea level with a freer flow exhaust on a '95 and 155 on '02 w/a cam and near open supertrap pipe

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/19/10 at 10:27:47

Why doesn't anyone mention using the choke for a rich/lean test. I know that sure works for a 1/4 to mid throttle test on the OEM carb.
But I ain't familiar w/ this type of choke (enrichment system) to know that is would affect WOT.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #10 - 04/19/10 at 10:39:10

good one   ill pull my choke a little when its surging   i guess ill just have to hold on tight with my right hand.  Grin

yep the washer is under the main jet

just to make sure, the white spacer goes on top of the circlip, and the spring goes under. right? Undecided

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #11 - 04/19/10 at 10:42:23

my mpg is high   i pulled in to a station thinking i was low and still had loads left  Undecided

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/19/10 at 11:18:58

jabman wrote on 04/19/10 at 10:39:10:
good one   ill pull my choke a little when its surging   i guess ill just have to hold on tight with my right hand.  Grin

just to make sure, the white spacer goes on top of the circlip, and the spring goes under. right? Undecided

yes on the spacer placement - see here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869...

- of course we only a single place for the c-clip

are you sure it's stock needle?

and do you have single diaphram/slide spring or a two piece with a plastic plug between the two?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 04/19/10 at 11:26:32

jabman wrote on 04/19/10 at 10:39:10:

wht spacer  Smiley

someone had said (I know you said you got it) the washer under the main jet keeps the needle jet from floating up and down causing the problems you have noted.  So with that being said, you sure you got the right washer?  I don't know if you can test it by pushing it up, but might be worth a try.

Also, not sure how the needle jet is secured.

WWW   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #14 - 04/19/10 at 11:46:26

i will check to see what numbers are on the needle   my bike has had 11 owners and the carb screws were already chewed, so that may be the case.

i haven't separated my diaphragm from the slide i don't think, looking down on it it looks like there's a big round white ring on top of the slide

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:18:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › WOT lean issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.