Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kickstand saftey switch (Read 315 times)
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Kickstand saftey switch
04/18/10 at 09:44:50

Im new to the savage community.  Im building a bobber and am wondering if I have to have the kickstand saftey switch or the switch that runs to the clutch lever.  Or is there a bypass for these?  Any help will me much appreciated.

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Kickstand saftey switch
Reply #1 - 04/18/10 at 09:53:05

Here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262917566/1#1

Bobbert did a fine job demystifying the harness.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 04/18/10 at 14:19:15

Be aware that removing or disabling safety circuits is a BAD IDEA.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/18/10 at 17:44:31

The clutch safety switch is a good thing.    Being able to start the bike in gear without the clutch lever pulled in has a bunch of high risk "oop's".   It is possible using a foglight relay to set it up so that if the neutral light is on the switch is bypassed.    

Kickstand switch is debateable.  If you bypass it and drive off with the stand down, first left corner you take you'll knock it up, but if that turn is tight leaner, it might cause a momentary bump/jerk in the bike.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/18/10 at 22:57:47

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 04/18/10 at 17:44:31:
The clutch safety switch is a good thing.    Being able to start the bike in gear without the clutch lever pulled in has a bunch of high risk "oop's".   It is possible using a foglight relay to set it up so that if the neutral light is on the switch is bypassed.    

Kickstand switch is debateable.  If you bypass it and drive off with the stand down, first left corner you take you'll knock it up, but if that turn is tight leaner, it might cause a momentary bump/jerk in the bike.

& that momentary Bump/Jerk can be a highside crash. That one is a real safety issue with potentially very serious repercussions.

The clutch thing, ehhh, yea, I can see how it could be a problem, but I cant wrap my head`around it being such a huge deal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/19/10 at 07:12:51

I don't particularly like Suzuki's way of using the clutch safety switch. I would prefer it allowed the engine to crank and start with the clutch lever out, if and only if the transmission is in neutral. It should certainly inhibit the starter if the transmission is in gear. I feel certain I could figure out a way to do that, but even if I did I would not tell anyone else how to do it. Call it selfish, if you will, but I don't intend to tell anyone how to disable a safety circuit. I spent too many years working in safety-related jobs, and reading "accident" reports.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/19/10 at 07:40:58

Quote:
I don't particularly like Suzuki's way of using the clutch safety switch. I would prefer it allowed the engine to crank and start with the clutch lever out, if and only if the transmission is in neutral.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somehow I'm glad you weren't the saftey engineer for my bike. If I killed the engine at a red lite, I'd hate fighting to find neutral just to restart.

All this saftey stuff, but still, even to this day I can still raise the hood w/ the engine running, and stick my fingers right into the fan,....no guard, no nothing Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 04/19/10 at 08:11:30

I suppose I should have been more clear. The clutch safety switch should allow the engine to crank if the clutch lever is pulled, in any gear. To be even safer, the switch should be mounted not on the handlebar, but on the engine case. In that way a broken clutch linkage would be taken into account. The engine should be allowed to crank if the transmission is in Neutral, without regard to the position of the clutch lever. Either way, the engine can crank if the drive train is disengaged, but not if cranking could cause the machine to move.

As far as finding Neutral when stalled at a traffic light, remember back to the Bad Old Days of secondary kick starters. The kick starter worked into the transmission. The clutch had to be engaged to transfer the motion from the transmission to the engine, but if the transmission was in any gear the motorcycle moved, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mikelhsr1982

Who turned up the
heat

WV
Reply #8 - 04/20/10 at 19:25:51

Thanks for all the replies, and after much consideration and for the ease of things, Im just going to leave them the way they are.  The only reason I wanted to discard them is to 1. change my levers to sportster levers, and 2. minimize my wiring.  Once again. thanks folks

mikelhsr1982 mikelhsr1982   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/21/10 at 06:35:08

Now we all know the real reason,.... you just want these monkeys off your back Grin
mikelhsr1982 wrote on 04/20/10 at 19:25:51:
Thanks for all the replies, and after much consideration and for the ease of things, Im just going to leave them the way they are.  The only reason I wanted to discard them is to 1. change my levers to sportster levers, and 2. minimize my wiring.  Once again. thanks folks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 04/21/10 at 07:41:03

i noticed that u don't have to pull the clutch in to start some bikes...that was a weird experience lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 04/21/10 at 07:52:08

I never had a bike before this one that needed the clutch pulled. But then, I ain't had a bike for 40 years either.
Sure was kinda embarassed tho when I had to call the dealer back to find out how to start it. I rode  Shockedit a couple times before sale, but never tried to start it till I got home.
Rocco wrote on 04/21/10 at 07:41:03:
i noticed that u don't have to pull the clutch in to start some bikes...that was a weird experience lol

Rich
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 04/21/10 at 08:57:41

I did have an intermittent spark miss,... that devolved into a no start over a period of a week...  that turned out to be a dirty clutch lever cut-out switch...
So,.. if you have that problem in the future,.. be aware... Wink...

It took me a while to figure it out,.. I was looking for ignition problem...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/21/10 at 10:14:53

Since I started riding in the 60's, when there were no safety switches on bikes, tools, or lawn mowers, I was taught how to operate these things safely, by following procedures Smiley.
First start of the day, bike stood up straight, in neutral, clutch out.
Pulling in the clutch puts pressure against a thrust bearing & if you have a performance clutch with heavier springs it makes it worse. Roll Eyes

I learned about the thrust bearing thingy using some very high pressure clutches back in 60-70's :'(

BTW, my clutch switch is bypassed using a wire terminal end meant to slide under a screw. Just slid it in the plug, broke off the crimp part & stuck the plug back in the switch.  Cool

I kept the kickstand swich. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 04/22/10 at 14:45:13

Ridgerunner, perhaps you have noticed a few small changes since the '60s. Then, your starting procedure was correct. Then, few bikes had electric starters so starter interlocks were unneeded. Then, kickstarters worked through the transmission, and the clutch lever had to be released to get the engine to turn over, using the kickstarter. Then, the bike pretty much had to be upright, because the rider usually straddled the bike to use the kickstarter. Then, should the transmission happen to be in some gear, operating the kick starter made the bike move and usually didn't result in a start. Should you still be riding a motorcycle of that vintage, your procedure is admirable.

Now, most (road) motorcycles have electric starters and very few still have kickstarters. Since you no longer have to hold the bike up to use ths kickstarter it is very common to see people stand beside the bike, start it up, then put on helmet and gloves while the engine warms a little. Doesn't take much imagination to see a bike - absent safety interlocks - depart on its own. And there have been a goodly number of crashes caused by forgetting to retract sidestands.

Let's discuss procedures. There are proper procedures for almost every task. Pilots use checklists for various stages of flight, yet despite these checklists every year there are unintentional wheels-up landings. Despite variations on "Insure adequate fuel for the intended flight" every year there are unscheduled landings due to fuel exhaustion. The list can go on, but the difficulty is that humans make mistakes. Safety circuits can fail, too, but they usually don't. If properly designed safety systems interfere with your usual way of doing things, it is very likely you are doing something wrong.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:28:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand saftey switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.