Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kickstand saftey switch (Read 315 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Kickstand saftey switch
Reply #15 - 04/22/10 at 20:00:30

Well, excuuuuussse me!
You seem to think safety switches are a good substitute for actually learning the right way to do things. The bike I actually rode the most while learning, starting at age 12, was a 1965 Honda 305 & it did have electric start. If I had EVER started it while standing beside it "getting ready to ride", my riding days would have ended early. Maybe we need another safety switch for the seat like a riding mower? I was taught to be ready to ride & on the bike in control before starting it. As soon as I started rolling my feet were up on the pegs, not dragging the road.

Standing the bike up to start insured that the oil level was where it should be to prevent possible starvation to the cam bearings in the head. Sound like a familiar problem? Having it in neutral with the clutch out does not put a load on a possibly dry thrust bearing. Starting in gear with the clutch in also puts more stress on your starter & battery. All this has to do with engine longevity, just like not revving a cold engine.
Most modern bikes now are fuel injected & don't need warm up time. And my new V-Star is wired so if it is in neutral the clutch doesn't have to be in.

I will continue to start my bikes the way I was trained, & you can continue doing whatever it is you do. What you do is of no concern to me, I don't have to maintain your bike.

BTW, the OP just wanted to know how to bypass a switch, not whether you or I approved of it being done. Warn a person of the dangers involved, then let them decide for themselves if they wish to take the risk involved. Just like the risks of riding a motorcycle at all.

If we're not careful, we'll be 'safety switched' right out of being able to ride at all. :'(

And like I said before, I left the kickstand switch working, it doesn't have the possibility to damage my engine & serves a useful purpose. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Kickstand saftey switch
Reply #16 - 04/23/10 at 07:06:36

This isn't supposed to be a flame war, but an exchange of ideas and thoughts. I do believe in learning and following proper procedures, and I believe the safety circuits should not be depended on. I also believe if the proper procedures are followed the safety circuits are "transparent" and will not be noticed. If you notice a safety circuit (beyond occasional verification of its function) your procedures need work.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand saftey switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.