Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do you use to keep your tires shiny and black (Read 206 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
What do you use to keep your tires shiny and black
04/17/10 at 23:16:52

My tires are fading and dull.  What do you use to care for your tires?

Thanks.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: What do you use to keep your tires shiny and b
Reply #1 - 04/17/10 at 23:26:01

i use armor all but i've heard from unconfirmed sources that if you dont consistently reapply i will dry them out and make it worse...so i consisently reapply. i applies two weeks ago and it still looks good

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #2 - 04/17/10 at 23:28:04

btw is that your helmet in your pic there? dont you know you cant ride a cruiser in a full face Smiley Wink

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #3 - 04/17/10 at 23:30:08

I use dirt and rain water. Results may very. Wink

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/18/10 at 00:09:41

wolfmrp wrote on 04/17/10 at 23:30:08:
I use dirt and rain water. Results may very. Wink

+1

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/10 at 00:15:01

RTC wrote on 04/17/10 at 23:26:01:
i use armor all but i've heard from unconfirmed sources that if you dont consistently reapply i will dry them out and make it worse...so i consisently reapply. i applies two weeks ago and it still looks good

There have been numerous reports on the 'net that Armour All does just that.  Supposedly it has some chemical in it that dries the rubber/vinyl out, requiring more of the product to be re-applied.  I used it since it first was introduced, and at that time it worked well on vinyl, rubber and plastic.  Years later it seems the formula changed, because Armour All started to recommend that you not apply it to plastic.  I didn't realize that the formula had changed and didn't read the new warnings, and applied it to the tailights of my car.  It streaked them badly, and you could feel the marks with your fingernail.  That never happened before.  Also, a vinyl dashboard on one of my cars cracked and split with the new formula, whereas they never did with the old formula.  I now never use it for anything.

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #6 - 04/18/10 at 00:27:41

if u use any type of tire polish or whatever u like to call it if it gets wet it ends up on the tread and gets very dangerous BE AWARE

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/18/10 at 03:15:26

RadRacer wrote on 04/18/10 at 00:27:41:
if u use any type of tire polish or whatever u like to call it if it gets wet it ends up on the tread and gets very dangerous BE AWARE

My thoughts exactly ... Shiny=Slippery ... Not a good thing for tires IMO.
Clean, dull and black works for me.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #8 - 04/18/10 at 04:19:34

Shiny=Slippery / Clean, dull and black works for me.

+1  Cool

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #9 - 04/18/10 at 08:33:35

Thanks for the postings.  I will keep my tires free of dressings until motor cycle friendly one is available.

And yes, that is my helmet.  Smiley

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 04/18/10 at 10:47:14

Spit on a rag Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 04/18/10 at 11:58:50

Nothing belongs on tires, IMO, But, IF I was gonna, Id go with Fuser Oil, from copiers. Get it while you can, its being phased out. I got a few pints @ $5.00 each. Its 100% silicone oil, the active ingredient in Armor All, w/o the VOC's that do the damage. I use fuser oul on plastics & rubber, even the boots on the steering & U joints on the cars. Car interiors & windshield rubbers & window rubbers. Keep that crap OFFA the windshield.
With each new batch I try it in an inconspicuous spot & wait a few days & see if it has attacked/softened/crazed or in any way damaged the plastic/rubber whatever. You may still be able to get some fuser oil from a copier repair place, especially if they buy & sell used copiers.
Minolta & Ricoh had fuser oils that werent so thinck that they wouldnt wipe on easy enough. Just ask for a fuser oil that isnt too thick or too watery. A spot the size of a dime will cover & treat a pretty good sized area, like a couple of square feet. Well, IF the dash is dry & thirsty, it wont, but after its been treated once, it wont soak it up again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 04/18/10 at 15:19:02

They want be shiny but westleys white wall cleaner will clean the tires and they want be slick.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #13 - 04/18/10 at 21:41:22

i think deep black sidewalls look wonderful and if you only keep the product on the sidewall and dont ride like a mania, you shouldnt have any problems

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/18/10 at 23:46:57

RTC wrote on 04/18/10 at 21:41:22:
i think deep black sidewalls look wonderful and if you only keep the product on the sidewall and dont ride like a mania, you shouldnt have any problems

What happens when it rains and centrifugal force pulls that shine onto your tires?  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:37:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What do you use to keep your tires shiny and black

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.