high pitch ring sound (Read 121 times)
scrappy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belleville,ill
high pitch ring sound
04/17/10 at 11:06:26

does or has anyone had a high pitch ringing sound come from the exhaust when at idle and at throttle on a s40 which sounds like im riding a mopad. hopefully someone can help with this

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: high pitch ring sound
Reply #1 - 04/17/10 at 13:08:03

I do. And in my case it stops if I apply pressure on the exhaust. Have no clue what it is.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 04/17/10 at 21:30:51

The normal sound of the stock exhaust could be described as a "high pitched ringing sound."  It's sort of a wheeze, or a whistle.  It could be that you are hearing exactly what the factory wanted you to.  Silly factory.  

There are several options available to make the bike sound better.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/17/10 at 22:17:41

dasch wrote on 04/17/10 at 13:08:03:
in my case it stops if I apply pressure on the exhaust.

if it stops when you apply pressure,... it's definitely an exhaust leak... tighten bolts...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/17/10 at 23:33:33

Mine is not stock, it's a HD Dyna takeoff. I checked bolts, and they are tight. And it's not whistle, it's a metal ping ping ping sound, kinda like loose timing chain, but it's coming from the exhaust downpipe. It comes and goes, I assume the inner pipe somehow got disconnected from the joint below where the slipon goes, and rattles against the outer chromed pipe. Does that make any sense?  Undecided

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #5 - 04/18/10 at 10:30:50

from your earlier description I assumed it was either the inner wall of the header pinging on the outer, or a piece of muffler baffle pinging on the shell.  

IMO merely annoying noises are best ignored,

but you could try changing the tension in the system by loosing the header and muffler mount and joint, and rotating the assembly the little bit possible, and snug it down again.  Everything changes when hot so it could go either way.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/18/10 at 10:56:25

Don't have a baffle either  Wink  I ignore it, but sometimes it get really loud and clunky... and then it stops. I am dissasembling the bike these days, I might loosen and readjust.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:32:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › high pitch ring sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.