Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shinko 712 tires - 100 mile review (Read 173 times)
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shinko 712 tires - 100 mile review
04/17/10 at 06:54:58

I got Shinko 712's to replace my ancient original stock tires on my '86.  I've put a little more than a hundred miles on them so far and thought I'd offer up a review.  I went with the standard size for the front and a 140/90-15 on the rear.

After hearing how slick new tires can be, I was a bit nervous taking her out which probably made me a bit hypersensitive to the changed profile of the rear tire.  The stock IRC has a flatter profile compared to the entirely round Shinko.  The first couple of turns really felt like the bike was tipping quite a bit.  I quickly got used to it though.  The new tires were definitely stiffer than the old worn out rubber I had, and I noticed a huge change in the ride & handling of the bike - much crisper with better grip in the turns.  The downside is a bit more vibration communicating to the handlebars and bumps to my tailbone, but I'll take that in exchange for the overall improvement.  It even feels like the bike is accelerating a bit faster.  

I'll have to see how they wear, but as of right now I'd offer up a very positive review of the Shinko's.  Good grip, handling and performance.  And they look good, too.  

I got them from Motorcycle Superstore for about $100 with free ground shipping.  BikeBandit had a slightly better price but charged for shipping.  I had a local shop mount them for me for $75, but pulled them myself in my apartment parking lot with a car jack and a cinder-block - that was a real treat.  

Thanks again to all who helped me figure out that I needed new rubber.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Shinko 712 tires - 100 mile review
Reply #1 - 04/17/10 at 09:15:20

Nice review.  Thanks and keep us posted on the wear, after a few more miles....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 04/17/10 at 09:30:21

Those are the EXACT same tires I put on my 05 back last fall. I was also impressed with the improvement over the stock IRC tires. I've still only got about 400 miles or so on them and they feel great! Only wear issue I've had so far is I added saddlebag brackets over the winter and I've got the brake side rubbing occasionally, but I noticed that one of the bolts holding the rear fender on the frame is missing causing some flex/twist in the rear fender. Once I get a replacement bolt in there I think I should be free and clear again.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 21:36:51

littlefights wrote on 04/17/10 at 06:54:58:
I got Shinko 712's to replace my ancient original stock tires on my '86......

That's gotta be a record of some type!

You've got bigger coconuts than I do, my friend!   Cool

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/10 at 07:35:34

I put a set of the Shinko 230 "tourmasters" on my wife's bike and I have nothing but positive things to say about them- plenty of traction, responsive, good comfort, excellent price. I also run  Shinkos on my GSXR and I have never had any traction problems or quality issues on them either (and I run that bike hard). As far as performance/$$$ I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better tire out there.

IP Logged
aphico
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/05/10 at 07:59:00

well i just read the tire post, and i checked my pressure,   35lb,  took it to 42 and gave that clutch cable another 1/4 turn,  made all the difference in the world.  i think i got it going about 85 now,  could look eyes were watery.    By the way,  just from read things on here.  i don't have a backfire on decel.   I mean if i came down a hill in first, it probably would,  but gearing down normal it doesn't.   when i was figuring things out,  opening up those vents,  seemed to fix everything.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:01:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shinko 712 tires - 100 mile review

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.