stock 2006 06 s40 (Read 244 times)
scrappy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belleville,ill
stock 2006 06 s40
04/15/10 at 13:48:17

hi im new to this site and its my first new bike. i was wondering if it is possible to mod the factory exhaust to make my s40 sound meaner and louder. just to let u know the bike is all factory i believe but the brass plug is out of the air/fuel mix screw spot and if possible any other cheap mods that can be done.   THANKS

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: stock 2006 06 s40
Reply #1 - 04/15/10 at 13:55:48

Several of us have changed the mufflers on our bikes. From relatively expensive super traps to Harley take offs and Jardine mufflers. You can get the Harley take offs and Jardines at your local Harley shop or get them all day long from e-bay for very little money. Each will change the sound of the exhaust, but many advise that you adjust air/fuel mixture or at most re-jet after swapping to such a muffler.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 04/15/10 at 18:30:47

Welcome!  I believe some have drilled holes in the plate in the end of the stock muffler, can't remember if they liked the results.  I think (maybe? Huh) there's also a method of completely removing the back plate in the muffler, and partially debaffling it.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/15/10 at 21:45:26

This is easy, and its louder, and it sounds ok to me Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
scrappy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belleville,ill
Reply #4 - 04/16/10 at 11:46:52

[color=#ff0000][/color]did u have to mod the carb or just adjust th air /fuel mix

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 04/16/10 at 14:03:58

welcome scrappy, I also have the 06 and the first thing I did was pull off the 25 lbs anchor that they call an exhaust. I picked up a dyna power (basically an after market hd dyna) off ebay...it is almost a straight through and is incredibly loud but has a very nice rumble to it. So far I've gone to a half spacer (you'll see that mod on this forum alot) and have the air mix screw out about 2 1/2 turns.
I LOVE it. I may go up on my main but I'm at a mile high and it's running big and bad right now.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 04/16/10 at 14:10:58

You need to go up on high and low speed jets even with the stock muffler,To make it run better and it will have a noticeable more power.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #7 - 04/16/10 at 19:12:36

I have a jardine muffler on my 02 savage and I think it sounds the best out of any i've heard on youtube. Look up jardine s40 or ls650 or savage.  You'll need to richen up the fuel a little.  you can have the factory fuel adjuster on the carb drilled out so you can adjust it or you can reject your carb.  These bikes have a problem with lean and backfiring which can be made worse by a freer flowing exhaust if you don't add more fuel.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 04/16/10 at 19:15:35

Bikes from the last 30-40 years have come lean from the factories and can have improved performance my jetting richer.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/17/10 at 06:47:11

scrappy wrote on 04/16/10 at 11:46:52:
[color=#ff0000][/color]did u have to mod the carb or just adjust th air /fuel mix

If this is in question to my pic post,..... I had done the spacer mod before drilling the exhaust to correct a lean surging condition at 1/4-1/2 throttle range,...which it did correct beyond my expectation. Drilling the exhaust didn't change anything that I could tell. My bike runs and idles perfectly w/ all stock jets, and the plug has never been removed from the air screw  hole either. I don't believe in rejetting unless there is strong evidence that it needs to be.
If I was the rider that gets heavy into the throttle in hot weather, or ride long distances against headwinds, I mite have to take another look for evidence of lean fuel that everyone talks about.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
scrappy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belleville,ill
Reply #10 - 04/17/10 at 10:57:39

thanks 4 all the info it will help out.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 04/17/10 at 21:17:00

I pulled all the innards out of my stock exhaust and drilled holes in the back plate, which changed the sound somewhat.  Then I put a Jardine slash cut on, which changed the sound entirely.  Kay says when the weather is just right, she knows I'm on my way home when I come around the corner on the highway about three miles from the house.  

My boss, who rides a big ol' Harley, won't ride behind me because it hurts his ears.  Cars no longer tailgate me... ever.  I like it.  I'd do it again.  I liked Savage Greg's Raask, and Julie's SuperTrapp too.

A word of advice...  if TOO loud is a concern, like if you don't want to irritate close neighbors, the Jardine might not be right for you.  If you want people to think the 82nd airborne is coming though, it's just right.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 04/18/10 at 03:21:32

For quick easy and cheap, swaping a HD dyna or sporty muffler and retuning the carb is as good as it gets.  You get the sound you want without being too loud and harsh, the power goes up and the neighbors are not offended.
As mentioned already, the HD mufflers can be found at local HD shops where many new HD owners have them removed and changed at the time of purchase, so they are brand spanking new...and they last a LONG time...good quality muffler.  Most shops have a pile of them in  baack and will sell for $20-25.
go to ebay and get a pair of them for $25 + $20 shp

The LS650 engine really like the HD mufflers...in fact, Suzuki should just start putting them on the bike to start with.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 04/18/10 at 07:13:03

Just bear in the back of your mind that anything you do that makes the motorcycle louder is a violation of Federal law. It isn't very likely the Federales will check you, but they can.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 11:37:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stock 2006 06 s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.