Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of ??? (Read 504 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of
Reply #15 - 04/19/10 at 05:17:49

Welcome to the site, James.  I put 51,000 miles on the original motor of my Savage, using it as a daily commuter 46 miles round trip for several years.  With a salvage replacement motor, the chasis is still rolling strong at 73,000.   I'd be commuting on it today, except that right now I have an electric problem that I'm (we're - i.e. me and the guys on this site) trying to track down.  I agree though that $2K is a little high.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #16 - 04/19/10 at 12:35:00

jamesmackelroy wrote on 04/15/10 at 12:29:03:
Fantastic picture. Thanks for the replies. I am looking into using the bike as a daily commuter, which would entail about thirty miles a day roundtrip during the week and one hundred and twenty or so roundtrip once on the weekend on a smaller state highway. I definitely feel a lot better about finding out more on this bike! Thanks again all... Keep any comments coming.

If it helps at all im 6'3" 278 ish and commute 53 miles 1 way, 10,000 on her and it was new in 08.. the stock seat will give ya the case of the monkeybutt, no issues.. ridden through more storms than i can count.. and hang around cause you gonna lern lots..

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #17 - 04/19/10 at 12:38:13

almost forgot..
www.searchtempest.com

put in your zip and how far you willing to travel and see what pops up... Wink

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 04/19/10 at 12:55:02

cornfuzed wrote on 04/19/10 at 12:38:13:
almost forgot..
www.searchtempest.com

put in your zip and how far you willing to travel and see what pops up... Wink

cool search engine.  Thanks!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #19 - 04/19/10 at 13:20:54

Reelthing wrote on 04/15/10 at 12:00:18:
Here's the '95 dressed for a commute bike - has softer shocks, metzler tires, fork brace, jardine pipe, tuned up carb, windshield, tach, stem nut clock, raised seat with #7 rubber stoppers, braided brake lines, drilled brake rotor, fold down high pegs, tail bag, and a PC on board. Averaged 54mpg with normal use - runs very well @ 28k miles

They're good bikes.

www.savageriders.com/reelthing/pics/savage/F0193.JPG

I have seen that boat before!! are you near clear lake?

IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 04/20/10 at 08:30:54

Mine has almost 40,000 kms and purrs like a kitten......Smiley
very well maintained.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 04/20/10 at 10:20:21

RTC wrote on 04/19/10 at 13:20:54:
Reelthing wrote on 04/15/10 at 12:00:18:
Here's the '95 dressed for a commute bike - has softer shocks, metzler tires, fork brace, jardine pipe, tuned up carb, windshield, tach, stem nut clock, raised seat with #7 rubber stoppers, braided brake lines, drilled brake rotor, fold down high pegs, tail bag, and a PC on board. Averaged 54mpg with normal use - runs very well @ 28k miles

They're good bikes.

www.savageriders.com/reelthing/pics/savage/F0193.JPG

I have seen that boat before!! are you near clear lake?

had it over there a couple times - but it lives under the house at san luis pass

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 04/20/10 at 10:25:29

How many miles are they good for? I saw a ratty ol, tired lookin 650 in a wal mart lot w/ (( IIRC) somewhere near 90,000 miles on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #23 - 04/20/10 at 20:25:33

I've put 13,000 miles on my '87 in the last two years, for a total of 16,000+ on the odometer.  Most of those miles were at 70mph, which is our speed limit here.  I've ridden it to work 45 miles in 18 degrees farenheit and 90 degrees plus.  I've yanked several pieces off of it, modified several more, and even added a few.

It still runs strong, despite my efforts to modify it into oblivion.  It burns a little oil, but that's easy enough to deal with.

I bought a parts bike with a seized engine and 19,000 miles on it.  It burned oil too, and the water head that owned it forgot to fill it up.

My wife bought an '05 two years ago and loves it.  I'm currently in negotiations for an '07, so I can hand mine down to my son.  You'd have to know me to realize how unlikely it is that I'd buy three of anything that was Jap made, and how little brand loyalty plays a part in my life.

These are dandy bikes, and if the one you are looking at has been cared for, you won't go wrong buying it.  $2000 sounds a bit high, but it is worth what the buyer is willing to pay to get it away from the seller.

Good luck, and have fun.

Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #24 - 05/10/10 at 05:27:15

Can anybody tell me about the hiway pegs and brace on Reelthing's picture?

IP Logged
wicks
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Milwaukee
Reply #25 - 05/11/10 at 07:06:34

I have a 2000 with about 13K and she still runs great.
I've rode my Savage to Sturgis (from Wisconsin) with no problems.
The furthest I've gone in one sitting is 550 miles, cruising around 75mph west across I90.

I recently upgraded to a 1300VTX, and was asked by all three dealerships if I was willing to sell the Savage to them (not trade in as I paid cash for the VTX). Apparently there is a whole subculture chopping and tricking these bike out. I was offered $2000 for my 2000 Savage. However my sone is 12 and I plan to kick it down to him when he turns 16.

It is a great bike, I would purchase the vehicle. I am not mechanically inclined, and with the help of this website i've done the following on my own.

Change air filter
Change oil and filter
Change front brakes
Adjust air/fuel mixture screw

All of which seems trivial to you mechanic types, but a big deal for me.

Great bike, great ride and low maintenance! Buy the bike!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 05/11/10 at 07:24:31

Short answer -- we don't know yet.   List has a lot of old '87 model bikes on it that are still running.

More complex answer -- we have developed fixes and repair methods for all the major failure points discovered up to this point in time (23 years old & still racking up miles).  

Logically, you could keep one of these bikes running "forever" if you chose to.

Highest mileage I remember seeing was 120,000 miles out of an European forum, but that was a while ago.

Hard answer -- my bike will still be running when I finally stop running.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 05/11/10 at 08:14:27

In a sense they are like airplanes and cars. They will run just as long as you are willing to maintain them and replace broken parts. What often happens is something breaks and the owner decides the repair is not economically sound. I am getting close to that point with my pickup. Its book value is probably no more than $1000. I thought long and hard about spending $500 on a set of new tires, knowing the book value would essentially not change.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #28 - 05/11/10 at 08:16:22

I got my Savage about a year and a half ago, along with a recommendation for this site.  I have been very pleased with both.  It seems to me that there are two groups of riders on this site.  One group is made up of relatively new riders, and for them, the Savage is often their first bike.  A lot of them think of it as a starter, and are planning to move on to a bigger or faster bike.  The second groups is made up of old duffers like me, who have been riding a lot of years, have owned a lot of different bikes, and who have ended up riding and enjoying the Savage.  Both groups appreciate the simplicity of the bike.

As for longevity, like most mechanical devices, it will last as long as you care for it, and are willing to make needed repairs and replacements.  I have found that my Savage, and I have only put about 20K miles on it so far, is better than average as far as needing repair and replacement.  It does require more maintenance, but it is easier to do than on most bikes, and costs a lot less. For my taste, it is a real keeper, not a techno bike, but more of a "Then Came Bronson" bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:57:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.