Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of ??? (Read 504 times)
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of ???
04/15/10 at 11:24:32

I posted earlier, but don't know if it ended up here...

Anyway, I am thinking of buying an '01 Savage with about 10,000 miles. How long do these things realistically last with proper mainenance and a calm rider? I don't see too many people sell or talk about their bikes with 20,000 miles, and most are well under that. Does the single cylinder have a tendency to die out? Anyway, just curious before I drop almost $2000 on a bike. I'd like to have it for another ten or twenty thousand miles... Is this possible?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of
Reply #1 - 04/15/10 at 11:30:34

Most motorcycles are not used a daily ride - some are - I commuted on the '95 for a couple years - it's still a fine ride @ 28k miles - you named it though - proper maint and not running the ears off it all the time - one of the best things about these bikes is the ease of maint and avail of parts to fix anything that does break.

you might want to check the book price on a 2001 - 2k seems a little high maybe

IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/15/10 at 11:32:31

True on the price--it is sixteen. The site I went to said that 1800 would be a "midrange." Does that seem accurate? Any other recommended sites?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 04/15/10 at 11:32:50

I just answered your question in the Market Place. But oh well here it is again. LOL

10,000 miles is not really that bad, these engines to my mind at least are practically bullet proof. There is a couple of concerns about the cam chain tensioner but it is easily taken care of. It mostly depends on how well the previous owner took care of the bike.

My Savage is almost at 20,000 miles now and is running strong even with the mods I made to it. There are some members here who have well over 20,000 without any problems.

The most likely reason you rarely see a Savage for sale with 20,000 or more miles is because people will trade up to a bigger bike before hitting that mark not because of mechanical failure. Most riders consider the Savage a starter bike.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/15/10 at 11:37:05

clean '01 at $1600 sounds quite reasonable -

have you ridden a bike much before?

IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/15/10 at 11:42:10

Not since my younger years on trails and that sort of thing. I've heard that this is a pretty good first bike, and that it can handle highway speeds for reasonable amounts of time (does 60 - 65 for an hour seem fairly reasonable?). I'm going to check out the bike some more in a few days, but I'm definitely trying to make a good purchase. Only other question aside from the reliability issue is my size. I'm just over 200 and about six feet. I've seen some guys about 6'4" say they like the bike, and others say anyone over 5'9" is going to be sore. I know it'll be a matter of preference, but I value all input!

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 04/15/10 at 11:45:51

Yes, 60 to 65mph for about an hour or so is reasonable. There are in fact several members here who have done cross country trips without any problems.

I myself am 6 foot 254 lbs but with a set of homemade forward controls all is good. A member here by the name of Ed L makes forward controls for these bikes at a very reasonable price if you decide you need more leg room, but as you say, that is up to the individual rider on whether it will be needed.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/15/10 at 12:00:18

Here's the '95 dressed for a commute bike - has softer shocks, metzler tires, fork brace, jardine pipe, tuned up carb, windshield, tach, stem nut clock, raised seat with #7 rubber stoppers, braided brake lines, drilled brake rotor, fold down high pegs, tail bag, and a PC on board. Averaged 54mpg with normal use - runs very well @ 28k miles

They're good bikes.

IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/15/10 at 12:29:03

Fantastic picture. Thanks for the replies. I am looking into using the bike as a daily commuter, which would entail about thirty miles a day roundtrip during the week and one hundred and twenty or so roundtrip once on the weekend on a smaller state highway. I definitely feel a lot better about finding out more on this bike! Thanks again all... Keep any comments coming.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 04/15/10 at 12:36:58

30 mile round trip commute is nothing to this bike. I do a 50 round trip commute, and when the weather is nice I usually spend most of the day just cruising around with no problems.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 04/15/10 at 12:37:41

We hear alot of people say that they wanted to start off on this bike, then get something bigger.  Well most of us fall in Savage Love.  I still enjoy looking at and maybe dreaming about a bigger bike, but when it comes down to it, I love my S40, and don't want anything else.

They are easy to customize, plenty of things to add or do to it.  We have a saying around here that you are only limited by your imagination!  You have to be creative though, because we are not "catered to" by aftermarket parts companies.  Its not an HD... wink, wink.  But we've found alot of things that work!

And this site is full of some of the best "mechanics" you'll ever find.  Some are good with one thing and others are good at something else.  Throw us all together, and we have a whopper of a little bike!

Oh, we have alot of fun here too.  So stick around!   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jamesmackelroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/15/10 at 12:49:17

Yeah, everyone here seems like fun so far. And I am definitely NOT the person looking to get a Savage and then move up to a bruiser bike or anything. I jsut am afraid of buying something that's going to fall apart quickly--which I know can happen with anything. I've been browsing the other threads though, and I am glad to see a wealth of support from everyone on a range of subjects. Just another reason to get the Savage, I suppose...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/15/10 at 16:03:38

I'm 6' 240lbs, I've got a 25 mile one way commute, I hop on the freeway and fly to work where it's shut off smokin'.  I did that on my 1st savage for 46,000 miles and going to break it down and replace the cam chain, piston and bore it out.  Whilst I progress on that, I've gotten another savage and have 30,000 on it.  You will need to check the cam chain after 20,000 miles.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 04/15/10 at 17:52:46

I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs.  Rode my '01 Savage as a work commuter for two years.  Perfect bike for it.  I did put on the 4" EdL. forward controls.  

I took the MSF "Experienced rider" refresher course on the Savage.  I was the only person in the class that got a perfect score.   I chaulk it up to the LS650.

Only reason I sold it was my son who is a mini-biker/bike biker loves to ride two up and last year at 14 he was 5'8" and playing Freshman High School football as a lineman.   We looked funny going down the street and it wasn't comfortable two up'ing .

My '01  (or should I now say Jane's '01  Embarrassed )

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #14 - 04/15/10 at 20:56:57

I bought my 2007 s40 with 800miles on it for about $3200.  I think you can find a better deal.  

I bought mine with intention of upgrading to a larger bike later this year.  I knew nothing of s40/savage, other than the fact that it was the most comfortable bike I sat on.

Now the fun suprises... s40/savage is super simple, tough, good bikes.  I already started doing modifications and plan on many more this year (myself).  This was not in the plan, as I am mechanically challenged, and normally let the mechanics do all the work on my car.  Now, having seen the cost of tune up ($300-$700 wtf!), oilchanges ($80) at the local bike shop... and seeing how simple my bike is... I'll do all of them myself, and do it right.  

If the bike is a good fit (assuming you are not 400lbs, 6'5"), you will be very pleased with the decision to go with the savage.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thinking about buying a 2001 Savage... LOTS of ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.