Send Topic Print
First fall! (Read 251 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
First fall!
04/14/10 at 22:40:08

So i woke up a little late the other morning (530 unfortunately that's late for me) and headed to work in a hurry....bad i idea. i was going about 55 somthing on a feeder road comin up to a light with one car between me and the light. the light turned yellow as the car was about 100m from it. I sped up to about 65 thinking that he would not slam brakes and i would easily pass through the yellow. i had a good following distance but he slammed his brakes and in turn i did too. i locked the back up a little and fishtailed left and right then put it mostly to the front. i realized if i continued on my path i would hit his rear so i went to the left where i met with a 2' tall construction barrier at about 10-15 mph. i didnt leave the bike. i immediately picked up and restarted as if nothing happened. guy asked if i was alright which i confirmed. busted my shin on the peg and scratched the fornt of the mirror. good to go!!!......there  has been four bike fatalities in el paso this month!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: First fall!
Reply #1 - 04/14/10 at 23:17:02

glad to hear nothing much was busted - either you or the bike!

but really that was the first time with the ground? - well welcome to the club!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/15/10 at 00:53:06

Small price for a good lesson....
...bikes can't stop like cars....  

Glad you're okay....  Wink....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 04/15/10 at 06:01:54

Whew!  That coulda been alot worse.  Glad you are ok!  (and the bike too!)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/15/10 at 06:18:31

If youre late, youre late. Cant make up lost time. Its okay to be late once in a while, but if you get in a hurry, trying to make up for it, you could be "late" forever. We dont want to be referring to you as
The Late RTC, Former Savage owner. Ride safe, & on those days when you are stressed out over something, be Extra Careful.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/15/10 at 06:42:54

So, ask yourself why you were trying to beat the yellow light. Doesn't matter what the car driver planned to do. YOU should have stopped for the yellow.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 04/15/10 at 07:00:50

be safe man! glad you're ok! when i laid mine down(6 days after buyin her) i asked on here if the bike was mechanically tough enough to take layin it down......everyone was right !!  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Stones

Married to a Texan

United Kingdom
Reply #7 - 04/15/10 at 08:52:47

Theres a thread on here about ride times etc and distance which i read.

When i go for a ride theres no time limit or distance involved i just go.

Theres no pressure far as im concerned.

I only have 2 things on mind enjoy it and get back safe.

Just my opinion mind.

Glad you are okay Smiley

ALLIANCE MEMBER
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/15/10 at 09:22:09

Never, never trust your health and welfare, or the bikes', to someone elses driving.
You should have assumed that he would slam on the brakes to try to collect you on his rear bumper.

Just like at a crossing situation you should not assume that that the car to your right or left is actually going to stop merely because he has a red light.  Keep your fingers covering the brake and your foot ready until the intersection is behind you, and eyeball a ( what if) escape plan.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/15/10 at 10:48:55

Phelonius wrote on 04/15/10 at 09:22:09:
Never, never trust your health and welfare, or the bikes', to someone elses driving.
You should have assumed that he would slam on the brakes to try to collect you on his rear bumper.

Just like at a crossing situation you should not assume that that the car to your right or left is actually going to stop merely because he has a red light.  Keep your fingers covering the brake and your foot ready until the intersection is behind you, and eyeball a ( what if) escape plan.

Phelonius

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
  Spoken by someone who probably learned from YEARS of riding.
All the MSF courses in the world can't help if you don't practice what they teach.
AND they can not prepare you for every situtation the road will throw your way.

Just imagine the worst & do your best to be prepared for it & you will live much longer. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #10 - 04/15/10 at 18:23:58

Glad you're ok.  When I read 55 then 65 I was figuring it would be a worse story.  Sounds like a cheap lesson.

I was only going about 25 or so when I high-sided last year and I'm still limping - but still riding too.   Wink

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #11 - 04/15/10 at 19:38:39

Phew!!!!!  Good to hear no major dammage to you or your bike. I bet you will be approaching intersections a lots more carefully now. I know I would.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #12 - 04/15/10 at 19:51:20

First I am so happy to hear you  and your bike are ok.

2nd. Your one lucky rider. I hope you take the advice of the experienced riders that have voiced their opinons before mine.

I am still recovering after being rear ended March 20 after I had cleared a 4 way stop. I never seen it coming. I have learned that in the future when I ride and I will ride again, to keep my eyes on what is going on behind me even when I clear the intersection.

Sometimes were given choices in order to learn. I hope again you  re read these posts and really  think about what you could have done differently.

Ok now get out there and ride safe and remember this was a warning.

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #13 - 04/15/10 at 21:48:24

Glad to hear your not hurt.  Lots of good comments above.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #14 - 04/15/10 at 22:17:07

Those were all excellent comments guys (and gals)! I knew as soon as it happened that it was basically my fault. Too much speed too much aggression. I own up to it fully and have definitely learned a lesson. I took the MSF experienced rider course less than five days before this mishap. I can say that I learned at that course to rely mostly on my front brake but when you encounter a situation like I did, it's hard to keep that right foot loose. I think if I had been a little less on the rear and a little more on the front (and a little wider awake) things would have gone fairly smoothly. I am glad to have a banged up shin and glad that I've already put another 100 miles on my bike since then. It scared me straight but didnt scare the fun outta me!! Grin Thanks guys!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:42:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First fall!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.