YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: First fall!
Reply #15 - 04/15/10 at 22:31:54

RTC wrote on 04/15/10 at 22:17:07:
I can say that I learned at that course to rely mostly on my front brake but when you encounter a situation like I did, it's hard to keep that right foot loose. I think if I had been a little less on the rear and a little more on the front (and a little wider awake) things would have gone fairly smoothly.

I do the same thing... and have known the rules for 30 years....
Don't know how it can happen... but there's that rear tire skid mark.....
.....it's mocking me.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #16 - 04/15/10 at 22:32:38

I also wanted to add that the skills I learned at the MSF course contributed greatly to me and my bike remaining uninjured! I had never touched a motorcycle until about two months ago. The Army requires riders to take the basic course to be able to drive on post and then to follow up with the experienced course no later than 90 days after getting a bike. I was the only one in both classes to get no points deducted on either examinations. The instructor of the experienced rider course informed the class that this was because I had chosen a bike that provided the proper size and fit. Everyone else in the class was on either a Harley or a crotch rocket. GO SAVAGE!!

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/16/10 at 01:19:18

A little rule that I've lived by during my motorcycle riding is that when I'm on a bike it's "weight of way" instead of "right of way" always prepare for the worst and one thing that has saved me on numerous occasions is TRY TO MAKE EYE CONTACT with as many other drivers as possible even if its in their side mirrors do this and then you KNOW that they see you.  My first bike was a GSX-R 750 when I was 16 and I'm 29 now and still haven't (knock on wood) went down ... I admit that my first bike was out of my league but I always respected what the bike was capable of and more importantly what I was capable of.  So my advice eye contact it will save you eating asphalt.   I'm glad to hear that you are alright.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #18 - 04/16/10 at 20:10:49

deffinately agree with the weight of way.  I don't care when I'm driving my wifes 4000lb minivan.. Extra careful on a bike.  Anyone else have any good scared straight storys of downing their bikes?  It's good to have storys to keep those of us who've never layed their bike down honest.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/17/10 at 00:38:04

james may wrote on 04/16/10 at 20:10:49:
deffinately agree with the weight of way.  I don't care when I'm driving my wifes 4000lb minivan.. Extra careful on a bike.  Anyone else have any good scared straight storys of downing their bikes?  It's good to have storys to keep those of us who've never layed their bike down honest.  

The very first day I picked up my GSX-R 750 My buddy met me to go for my first ride ... he was on a Yamaha Radian 600 and everything is going great until he starts to show off a bit taking corners too fast for his skill level and being that its early in the year the roads still have literally piles of sand in the middle of the lanes from the winter salt/sander trucks ... well you see where this is going .... he takes an almost 90 degree corner at around 80 Km/h as soon as he approached the corner i knew he was going down and started to slow right down good thing i did because he hit the sand and slid out like he was on ball bearings ..... luckily the only real damage he suffered was a much needed assault on his ego .... he was scrapped up and bruised and needed 2 stitches over his left eye where his glasses smashed against his face .... it scared him bad enough that a couple days later he signed up for some rider training and since then he hasn't went down since.   squids and show-offs all eventually learn the hard way that asphalt is tougher than their egos.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 06:41:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First fall!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.