Send Topic Print
Saddle Bag Brackets (Read 176 times)
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Saddle Bag Brackets
04/14/10 at 16:06:13

I can't seem the find the info on here about saddle bag brackets. I used to just toss the bags over the back seat and use a net to hold them on but I've been doing a lot of 2 up and I'm going to need to put them on under the seat with some brackets I think. I know I saw how to make your own on here a while back but the search on here never gets me the results I'm looking for.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Saddle Bag Brackets
Reply #1 - 04/14/10 at 17:03:49

here's how I did it

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1261174249

not really a walk through but a general idea , you might want to make them a lil longer than I did, make right hand back almost rubs my wheel when parked and the bike is on the kickstand so if I make and sharp left hand turns I hear this lil chirp as the bag rubs the tire, I think that's what that chirp is anyway . . .

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/10 at 17:05:17

oh, and paint those brackets before mounting them to stop the rust . . .  

yeah, I knew that the first time too   Embarrassed

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 04/15/10 at 05:50:29

We made some for my bike out of stainless round rod, like 1/8" maybe.  Bent by hand, threaded the ends, and attached to the bike with a piece of flat bar, stuck up under the rail, using the existing holes.  One thing I will point out, the left side needs to be deeper than the right because of the belt drive on the left.  We made them the same and had to go back and adjust...  

I don't think I have any pictures, but if I got get the bike at lunch, I could take some.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/15/10 at 08:51:59

babyhog's idea is probably much much better   Cool

IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #5 - 04/15/10 at 16:13:04

1/2" aluminum conduit.  $1.89 for 10 feet at lowes

« Last Edit: 04/18/10 at 12:16:33 by kk lewi »  
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 04/16/10 at 05:23:19

Probably not quite as easy, but here's what I did...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 04/17/10 at 10:01:39

kk lewi - you got pics with bags on?

I like the wire one, how did you bend the rod? How much money did you invest in making them. I know there used to be a how to some place on a set I saw on here a season or 2 ago.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #8 - 04/17/10 at 13:48:14

Duane wrote on 04/17/10 at 10:01:39:
kk lewi - you got pics with bags on?

I like the wire one, how did you bend the rod? How much money did you invest in making them. I know there used to be a how to some place on a set I saw on here a season or 2 ago.

Here mate.  Just put that together for you.  Smiley
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1271536808/0#0

I like the wire (rod?) one babyhog did too.  I like how it fits underneath the fender instead.  I'm looking into adding a Protact backrest (so I can be cool like babyhog) and that rides on the outside of the fender  iirc.  I've already got more spacers than I want on the front two fender support screws (to make up for the width of the bag support) than I want.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 04/17/10 at 14:07:43

Fine job, kk lewi!  Even a scuffed knuckle!  haha  Our bikes look alot alike - great taste!   Wink

The steel round rod we used, I got at work, free scraps.  I think its 50-75 cents or so a foot, 3 ft per side... maybe.  Painted them flat black, even though you can't see them.  If I had to do it over, I'd probably make mine a little bigger, because I have bigger bags now, but they still work.  My husband bent it over a brick wall outside our garage.  lol  Never thought about that cute little bender.  I had a picture of the expensive chrome factory ones, so we used it as a shape model.

Question for kk lewi - how did you account for the difference in the distance on the left side, to get out past the belt??  We made that side first, then copied for the other side, and realized the difference, so it was easy to cut off the extra on the right side.  Couldn't figure out how to attach, so we took the flat bar, drilled a hole to attach under the fender, and threaded the other end and the round rod to attach there.

* Edit - I looked at the pics again, didn't pay attention to the one of the left side before.  Didn't look like you had the problem we did.  I guess just the different shape made the difference.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 21:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddle Bag Brackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.