Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What a mess!! I need a picture (Read 315 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
What a mess!! I need a picture
04/13/10 at 17:56:00

I bought the brake light switch kit and am baffled on how to proceed with the installation. It's an '87, much different than the switches in 95 and above bikes. I have absolutely no freaking idea on how this goes back together. When I pulled the cover off the old switch, everything came crumbling out and fell to the ground. Inspection is up at the end of the month, and I'll never pass without a working brake lever switch regardless if the pedal activates the light.

Anyone have a photo of what it's supposed to look like? The little spring is really throwing me off. I hate electrics Angry

FSO
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: What a mess!! I need a picture
Reply #1 - 04/13/10 at 18:10:59

I have 87 ssm in my hands - looking to see if it shows an expanded view - do you have a picture of the issue?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 04/13/10 at 19:37:25

Joe, I don't remember a spring.  Here is the link I found:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

If that does not help I will go look in my books, just let me know and we will do whatever, just don't let it whip you!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 04/14/10 at 07:06:39

Thanks gents!

Yeah Mike, the fiche doesn't show the spring, but I think it goes inside of #9 somewhere as does #8, but it shows 8 as being outside of the cover (#9).

I'll dig around again later on knowing that "Perseverance is the key to success!"

"Perseverance is the key to success. After thousands of efforts to make the electric light bulb, Thomas Edison said, “I haven’t failed, I’ve identified 10,000 ways that it doesn’t work.” Mario Lemieux, Helen Keller, Abraham Lincoln, Marie Curie and an endless list of other great achievers found that success inevitably arrives for everyone who perseveres.

Acquiring a desired job or promotion, or succeeding at business may present difficulties. But this is part of the learning process. Ultimately, people who persevere become successful. They learn from mistakes."
http://powertochange.com/life/perseverance/

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/14/10 at 07:19:15

Percy Verance was voted most likely to succeed in our class.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 04/14/10 at 07:39:52

OK, Joe, just to show you what kind of guy I am, I went and took mine apart.

Part 9, the cover comes off with you take out the screws, part 10, there are two of them.  It looks like 9 is shown backward, by the way, the wire on part between 8 & 9 goes into the groove on part 9 which is toward the back of the bike.

The part between 8 & 9 has contacts on it, part 8 slides across as you pull the brake lever.  8 fits into the underside of the lever, on the far right side, in a little slot.  

I do not have a spring.  The trick is to get 8 up in the brake lever and then put the in between part, with the contacts in then put 9 on and get a screw started.  

When I got my bike I did not have part 8 at all.

Hope that helps!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 04/14/10 at 10:05:59

Wow, thanks Mike!!
Printing your description out, along with the fiche and heading outside to try and put it together so your efforts will not be in vain!

FSO
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/14/10 at 10:18:42

When the inspector says try the hand brake, lightly touch the foot brake at the same instant.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #8 - 04/14/10 at 13:22:42

Phelonius wrote on 04/14/10 at 10:18:42:
When the inspector says try the hand brake, lightly touch the foot brake at the same instant.

Phelonius

Cool

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #9 - 05/09/10 at 13:33:12

Got her working and passed inspection. I'm good for another 2 years, and, I kept my streak of 2+ years owning this bike and not once paying a mechanic to do any of the work. No knocks on anything where a bike is concerned, just grateful for this forum and it's generous members Smiley

FSO
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/09/10 at 14:06:05

Congrats!  Good job!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 05/09/10 at 16:09:43

quote:
I hate electrics  
-----------------------
I'm not familiar w/ the switch so couldn't be any help this time.
But, for next time, if you get rid of the above attitude, the next electrical problem will be much easier to solve,....guaranteed !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:31:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What a mess!! I need a picture

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.