Bleed holes? (Read 341 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Bleed holes?
04/12/10 at 11:09:15

Just a couple quick questions...how do the bleed holes work on a pilot jet?
My bikes running great these days (except when it's cold) and I'm at a mile high. Jetting actually seems pretty good except I don't have much on the high end of the throttle.
I run - Pretty open pipe, stock jets, air screw out 2 1/4 turns, 1/2 spacer. I purchased Lancer's kit but haven't messed with anything yet. I was thinking of going up on one step on both the pilot and the main. One of the jets Lancer sent has bleed holes...how's that work?

Also, if I buy a Raptor petcock do I just cap the vac port on the carb?

Thanks a bunch

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bleed holes?
Reply #1 - 04/12/10 at 11:23:51

Quote:

Yes,.. just cap it...  I used a screw, 'cause the rubber caps kept rotting away every couple of months...

...as far as the bleed holes....  I believe they are intended to make something do something better.... Huh...
... don't know if they really do though...  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 04/12/10 at 11:36:09

Bubba wrote on 04/12/10 at 11:09:15:
Just a couple quick questions...how do the bleed holes work on a pilot jet?
My bikes running great these days (except when it's cold) and I'm at a mile high. Jetting actually seems pretty good except I don't have much on the high end of the throttle.
I run - Pretty open pipe, stock jets, air screw out 2 1/4 turns, 1/2 spacer. I purchased Lancer's kit but haven't messed with anything yet. I was thinking of going up on one step on both the pilot and the main. One of the jets Lancer sent has bleed holes...how's that work?

Thanks a bunch

You need a least a richer high speed jet to get the higher end power even a stock motorcycle needs richer jets than what comes in them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/13/10 at 00:03:09

From my personal experience, .50 idle with bleed holes was WAY too rich. .50 w/o holes is just about right. I am not 100 sure how and why, but they definitely bleed more gas through the jet.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 04/13/10 at 01:42:55

i think we need lancer to clarify this issue  Huh

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
NewThumperGuy

Lets Ride!!!!

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 04/13/10 at 04:53:11

The pilot with the bleed holes made my 97 way to rich. Ended up going back to the one without and a 150 main.

97 LS650 T
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 04/13/10 at 05:57:11

At a mile high, you probably don't need any more fuel than what you have now. Jet only the range that needs jettin, if any.

And no matter how you jet, you ain't never goona have good high end power at 1 mile high. There just ain't enough air up there.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 04/13/10 at 07:41:21

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of leaving the pilot the way it is and maybe just putting in the next size up for the main.
The only reason I figured I'd mess with the pilot is because I'm 2 1/2 out on my air mix screw and I get some SERIOUS pop on shut down.
Funny thing is, if I turn my idle knob WAY down before I shut 'er off then...no pop!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 06/01/10 at 21:43:49

Bubba wrote on 04/12/10 at 11:09:15:
......Also, if I buy a Raptor petcock do I just cap the vac port on the carb?.....

Here's another way to skin that cat:

I squirted a bit of RTV into the hose before folding it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 06/02/10 at 03:59:44

The pilot jets with and without the bleed holes flow the same amount of fuel.  
Same size hole in the base of the jet = same amount of fuel flow.
The difference is that the bleed hole design is supposed to allow for a better transition from low to midrange throttle settings.
Some like it, others don't feel a difference.
I felt like I could feel a difference in throttle reponse and so I use them.
Strangely enough, the non-bleed jets cost almost 2x the bleed type.
Not sure why, but they do.

bleed:  $3.68
non-bleed:  $5.78

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 06/02/10 at 06:42:54

Thanks Lancer, here is what I have so far...fairly open pipe but it does have some resonator/baffle to create some back pressure, K&N drop in air filter.
I first replaced the stock spacer with a #4 nylon spacer from ACE, that eliminated the midrange surging I was getting when I first bought the bike.
Rode that way for a few months but didn't feel like I had any power on the upper throttle range (which I don't use much!) so I put in a 150 main from Lancer's kit....worked as expected (good!) although I was getting some serious POP on shut down.
Installed the 52.5 w/ bleed holes from Lancer. That seemed to help with some of the low end sputtering I was getting in cooler weather (although I really think that is the vac petcock which I'm replacing with a Raptor arriving tomorrow) and seems to have eliminated the POP on shut down. I also now have the air screw out only 2 turns which is good.
I sometimes get some afterfire when really winding it out between gears but really nothing to write home about.

I just took everyone's advice and went slow to see how the bike would react. So far it's been fun.
I think I'm very happy now!!!! Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 06/02/10 at 15:06:40

sounds good; working it one point at a time and working through the issues.

Just as a side note, Mikuni suggests that in an ideal situation, if the pilot jet is the "best" size the screw would end up at about 1-1.5 turns out.
Changing the pilot jet one size should normally change the screw setting by one full turn.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 06/02/10 at 15:36:53

I run the stock 52.5 and I'm at 2 1/4 turns out. I tried a 55 with bleed holes and the screw had to be all the way in and still ran too rich. So I went back to the 52.5.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #13 - 06/02/10 at 17:55:01

LANCER wrote on 06/02/10 at 15:06:40:
Just as a side note, Mikuni suggests that in an ideal situation, if the pilot jet is the "best" size the screw would end up at about 1-1.5 turns out.
Changing the pilot jet one size should normally change the screw setting by one full turn.

Just adding my name to this so I can find this information in the future. I've asked about this before and I'm glad there's an answer!

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 06/03/10 at 03:22:45

ralfyguy wrote on 06/02/10 at 15:36:53:
I run the stock 52.5 and I'm at 2 1/4 turns out. I tried a 55 with bleed holes and the screw had to be all the way in and still ran too rich. So I went back to the 52.5.

that is strange

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:30:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bleed holes?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.