Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about ride time and distance (Read 273 times)
savageclay

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South Carolina
Question about ride time and distance
04/11/10 at 16:34:34

Me and my buddies have a trip planned that is about 160 miles one way. We will be staying over the weekend and probably riding around 50 miles while there. Then the 160 miles back. I have had several savages that I build as bar hoppers but have never taken one on this long of a ride. Does anyone have any experience with a trip on a Savage and how does it perform? Would you suggest it or not?

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question about ride time and distance
Reply #1 - 04/11/10 at 16:38:09

Sounds like a great idea, 160 is no sweat!
unless you want to get there in 2 hours.
go for it

IP Logged
SmilinLDR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakewood, CO
Reply #2 - 04/11/10 at 18:06:49

Go for it, it'll do this and a whole lot more. I would recommend stopping for gas at about 100 mi, or take a spare tank.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 04/11/10 at 18:57:57

I've taken a few longish rides -- a 120 miles to San Diego for lunch with an old drinking buddy, a 350 mile loop out to and through Joshua Tree National Park and home under the Full Moon, twice, and a 2,300 tour to OKC.  The bike does just fine on the superslab at 65-75, even better on secondary roads at 55-65.

Everyone's butt is different, everyone's tolerance to sitting on the bike varies.  Me, on the stock seat, the 350 miles in 10 hours was a Piece of Piroshki.  Highway mileage is generally about 60-65 mpg, but on the second moon run the return home was against heavy headwinds and mileage was only 53 mpg.  Across the Mojave on CA62 returning from OKC was 50-55mph and 70 mpg.  Back to back 500+ mile days took it's toll on the stock saddle, will find out next year how the springer seat does.

You could get by refueling at 130 miles out, continuing the last 30 miles, 50 miles play, first 30 miles home and refuel again at the same stop.  But it would be more relaxed and worry free to gas up half way on the 160 and twice at the destination.

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 04/11/10 at 19:41:43

I have done 120 mile trips a few times and no problems on mine. I can't wait to get back in the saddle again.. Smiley

Have fun with your friends and enjoy the ride...

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/11/10 at 19:51:41

And take pictures to post!!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #6 - 04/11/10 at 20:55:53

i took a trip with my brigade last week from el paso to alamogordo, NM and then past white sands over the mountains to las cruces and then back to el paso. it was around 200 somethin miles. i had the smallest frame of the group (54 riders) and caught a lot of flack like "can you keep up man?" but the savage performed like a seasoned vet. the seat and pegs were a little uncomfortable but almost every other rider complained of a sore butt too. the winds in the mountain pass were a little challenging but again other riders said the same. i totally enjoyed the ride! and we will be traveling to ruidoso in a few weeks (400 plus round trip). i didn't really like going above 75 except for short increments. i couldn't even hear my bike due to the jardine straight pipes in front of me! people say these single vibrate too much but mine was great...just perfect. IT'S A CRUISER MAN!!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 04/12/10 at 03:15:48

I have a pair of Soft-tail harley seats and floorboards on mine, and 450 miles in a day makes for a LONGISH ride .   The macine doesn't have a problem at 55-70 mph but about 75 showes its complain by being wound up a bit , makes me want a 6th gear or Overdrive.  At  55 mph its just Idleing along good !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 04/12/10 at 03:31:48

savageclay wrote on 04/11/10 at 16:34:34:
Me and my buddies have a trip planned that is about 160 miles one way. We will be staying over the weekend and probably riding around 50 miles while there. Then the 160 miles back. I have had several savages that I build as bar hoppers but have never taken one on this long of a ride. Does anyone have any experience with a trip on a Savage and how does it perform? Would you suggest it or not?

My longest ride was from (almost) the Swiss border all the way south to Naples, Italy.

500 miles +, and that was to ride her home after buying her !!!

My pieces of advice:
- 2 gal.tank means 100 mile range, so look for gas at 80 miles;
- any speed over 65-70 is demanding on chest, arms, and the bike revs higher and higher for (mechanical) comfort

The sweetest ride I had was country roads at 50-55 mph, you can flip up the visor and smell the scents of the forest, the brids a-singing, and the cows a-mooing... and the bike purrs like a baby.
But any faster than 60 and you've got wind rush, the engine will start revving louder (she's a single, no high-pitched scream, she just bellows louder) and the pleasure of riding will give way to the urgency of getting there...for silence.

The Savage may be capable of cruising at 75mph, but the real pleasure is at jalopy speed.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #9 - 04/12/10 at 06:37:25

I've ridden my 05 S40 under all kinds of conditions---drenching rain with a heavy sidewind---very strong wind on the interstate at 70---over very twisty mountain roads---you can set this bike up to be "fairly comfortable"
I use a TomTom One GPS---mine has bicycle routes. Take a spare 1g gas tank with you.
I've been riding since I was 16---I'm now 63---This is the best all around bike I've ever owned.
ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/14/10 at 21:54:26

I've made several trips from DFW to Lubbock on the Savage (got a daughter going to Tech). It's about 300-350 miles one way. Never had a problem once I did the Diamond Jim seat mod! This bike will go the distance. Sweet spot on mine is about 65mph. Now that the seat is more comfy, I don't even get off the bike at fill ups. Gas 'n go!

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #11 - 04/15/10 at 08:10:52

Mr.Paladin
Just did a 400 mile round tripper with a solo seat. I have 3 inch piano springs mounted on a bracket. Seat rode good, the only change I'll make is to raise the front mounting about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Other than that I well satisfied with ride. I've also got a 4.8 gallon fuel tank, so at 200 miles it's time to get off and relax the butt some.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/15/10 at 18:33:41

I agree with Mpescatori 100%
55 to 60 is just so darn enjoyable, I always take secondary roads when I am just beating along.  the interstate just isnt enjoyable, get there faster but so what? if you missed the riding.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #13 - 04/15/10 at 19:32:44

The bike will have no issues at all with a trip you described. Like everyone has said, it loves the secondary roads. I did a weekend run thru the mountains last year. The road speed limits were 55-60mph and I'm sure the bike enjoyed the run almost as much as I did!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #14 - 04/15/10 at 19:37:04

I guess that I am missing something.  When I go for a ride, if I need to hop on the interstate, even if the limit is 75, I putt along at 60-65.  That is where I enjoy riding.  I don't care how fast you are riding. someone will want to pass you.  I stay in the right lane and enjoy the scenery, and the show put on by the other drivers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:50:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about ride time and distance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.