Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about ride time and distance (Read 273 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: Question about ride time and distance
Reply #15 - 04/15/10 at 22:19:13

I have found that exactly 65 is the sweet spot for my bike. 63-56 or something, vibrates too much in 5th. Once i hit 65 it all smooths out. 70 is not bad either but i just don't really care for the wind at speeds above 70

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 04/16/10 at 00:39:02

Rode from missoula montana to portland oregon in one day. When finished for the day I logged almost 700 miles. All interstate. Left around 630am and arrived around 10 pm. Still took lots of breaks so I could shake my arms out. The bike could have gone another 700 miles. I was beat!  A 250 mile ride is only a 4 hour ride at 60 mph. Leave at 8am and you should be there by 2pm at the latest.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 04/17/10 at 06:33:15

I will undoubtedly be told how wrong I am, but here goes anyway. You will be pretty close if you figure an average speed of about 43 mph. When I was flying one of my flight instructors said "Most people have about a two-hour bladder." The Savage/S40 has about a 110-120 mile range to reserve, which is about two hours. So, every couple of hours you will be stopping for at least a few minutes. Those stops lower your average speed. If you are on the Interstate running 70 or so, your fuel mileage drops and so does your range - which means a stop about every 90 minutes. For a longer trip such as an all-day run, figure in at least half an hour to an hour for lunch. That cuts the average speed considerably. Feel free to cite the examples of the Iron Butt guys running 1000 miles in 24 hours - then calculate the average speed as 41.7 mph.

By the way, if you travel with a group and plan to stay together, the fuel stops will be more frequent and longer. There will always be someone who "doesn't need gas yet" but who will before the next planned stop. And, unless you stop at the fabled Little America Truck Stop in Western Wyoming (which was said to have 100 fuel pumps) everybody cannot fuel at the same time.

« Last Edit: 04/17/10 at 08:06:11 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:05:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about ride time and distance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.