Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New here, What to do first (Read 134 times)
Smash
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New here, What to do first
04/10/10 at 02:38:05

Hello everyone  Wink

I'm picking up a 2001 Savage tomorrow that is totally stock, originally just wanted the bike for simple cheap transportation, but after discovering the awesome potential of the bike I've decided to customize the heck out of it.

Was wondering what to do to the bike first? What can i strip off?

I'm in the Army and they have strict rules about what you can do to your vehicle so I gotta stay as legal as possible but I want to strip the bike down as much as possible and black everything out.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: New here, What to do first
Reply #1 - 04/10/10 at 05:32:07

The first thing I would remove is the belt guard.  Then start looking at some tail light replacement options.  Chopping the back fender is pretty quick and easy.  Just those will make a big change in the bike's appearance. Have fun!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 04/10/10 at 05:47:04

Before you spend any time or money "customizing" it, just ride it as-is for a while and see if it is what you want. Trade off rides with your buddies on different motorcycles. You might find you prefer a different variety of bike. The most cost-effective mod (which really isn't a mod at all) is a windshield, which will make it a lot more pleasant at speed or in cool weather.

One thing to remember, with which some disagree, is that any customizing you do will reduce resale value. Prospective purchasers will likely reduce their offer by whatever amount they think it will cost to put the machine back to stock condition.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 04/10/10 at 11:37:23

i took a clean, almost mint '95 with about 7000 miles on her, and tore her to pieces several times! i have no paint on the tank, flat black everywhere, an ammo box as a saddlebag, she's loud, she's nasty, looks like nothing else out there and that was my goal!

SO if u wanna resell her, don't touch her, if you're like me and just have to tinker, get your hammer ready lol

the first thing i took off was the sissy bar if u have one, then the chrome rails that the turn signals are in, move your front turn signals up a little bit, makes your forks look longer, i just took the head covers off the engine, best move ever!

i would remove the belt guard, but it makes sure my ammo box doesn't touch the belt lol

uuuuuummm def a rejet, k&n, and a better muffler, other then that whatever u want her to look like bro is your call!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #4 - 04/10/10 at 12:24:02

jef.savage wrote on 04/10/10 at 05:32:07:
The first thing I would remove is the belt guard.  Then start looking at some tail light replacement options.  Chopping the back fender is pretty quick and easy.  Just those will make a big change in the bike's appearance. Have fun!

i'm in the army as well and to take the msf experienced rider course which is required by the army, you must have a belt guard on your bike.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #5 - 04/10/10 at 12:30:11

smash, what post are you at? i'm down here at ft. bliss. i got an 02 savage a few months back and the first thing i did was remove the sissy bar(new taillights enroute), then fixed the head cap plug leak(this was not too hard but gave me some confidence in my wrenching abilities with setting TDC and all the other stuff that goes along with getting to the head cap plug). then i picked up a dyna muffler at the harley dealer for $40 and installed that(more confidence built). now i'm in the process of finding a trailer fender that i can mod for the rear. aside from that, change your oil, clean your air filter, torque up all your bolts, and clean her up real good. HAVE FUN and ENJOY THE RIDE!

IP Logged
Smash
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/10/10 at 13:40:09

Great advice, gonna have some fun with this one.
I've been a sportbike rider for the past 8 years, owned quite a few bikes, gs500, gt250r, sv650, yzf600, this is my first time going with a cruiser, want to go all out on it.

Hi RTC,
Thanks for the heads up, probably going to leave it all stock the first week to pass the Army classes and inspections then get to work. I'm currently stationed in Schofield barracks, Hawaii, definitely a good spot to be a rider.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #7 - 04/10/10 at 14:29:49

man that would be some awesome riding there in hawaii and perfect weather for it too. good luck

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:52:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New here, What to do first

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.