Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
adding circuits and controling the wiring mess (Read 186 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

adding circuits and controling the wiring mess
04/09/10 at 00:10:06

I recently added a couple of running lights to the rear of my bike and was required to add some new circuits to the wiring harness. Over the years I have seen some very strange wiring additions, and most make it almost impossible to go back and trouble shoot at a future date. I have a trick that might help you here.

If you have ever opened a computer up you have most likely seen what are commonly called “molex” connectors. These are pin and socket type connectors that generally have three to six circuits running parallel in a flat nylon body. They are used to route low voltage cables from the system board to HD's and CD's. Well these molex connectors come in many forms, some of which are rated at up to 120 volts and five amps. They generally will fit up to about 12 gage wire, and come in all number of circuits, making them perfect for rebuilding a motorcycle wiring harness. The one short coming is that if you buy a standard connector, you have the same number of circuits coming in as going out.

Now here is the trick. You can create one standard wire contact, and a number of “dead-end” contacts that end just beyond the back of the molex connector body. You can then put a wire, or thin metal plate in contact with all the contacts and solder them together. This makes one contact share power or the return to ground, with all the contacts. Being of a flat surface design, the molex connector blocks are easy to label so remembering what goes where is not a problem. If you really want to get creative you can make one circuit branch while others simply act as a butt or pass through connection.

The pin and sockets terminals are small enough by themselves, to make very neat bullet type connectors that are easy to route through small openings. A little solder and heat shrink tubing is all you need.

I think that my humble drawing will give you an idea what I am trying to explain. The photo is of three molex terminal blocks, all of five circuits branching down to one. One connector block covers the brake light circuit and its branches. One block covers the tail light and tag light circuits. The third is the ground or return circuit pathway.

If the wires need to be replaced or removed from the terminal block you need only use a simple extractor tool that is available where you buy the terminal blocks.

« Last Edit: 04/09/10 at 07:53:16 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: adding citcuits and controling the wiring mess
Reply #1 - 04/09/10 at 01:48:41

Cool. Nice and clean.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/09/10 at 07:35:31

That is as well done as is possible. Are you just anal or have you been diagnosed as obsessive/compulsive?

Sorry, I thot that was funny, Im JK, dont be insulted. Thats a great job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: adding circuits and controling the wiring mess
Reply #3 - 04/09/10 at 12:37:47

Love it!  Great job!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/09/10 at 14:13:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/09/10 at 07:35:31:
That is as well done as is possible. Are you just anal or have you been diagnosed as obsessive/compulsive?

Sorry, I thot that was funny, Im JK, dont be insulted. Thats a great job.

Ha Ha Ha!
I have friends and family that would agree with both of those statements.
It just shows what thinking outside the box will do for you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/09/10 at 14:23:47

Ive been known to go to such lengths. My family has been working to get me to not do stuff like that, but itsreal hard to NOT.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #6 - 04/09/10 at 19:50:53

very nice indeed.  I am planning on adding some lights, and i will be copying (at least trying) your great mod.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 04/10/10 at 01:40:16

LOL

Ahhhhhhh, this is why this is such a great place.  
Good friends, good food, good wine.......... well, good friends anyway

Nice work John, very nice, and for those of us who are wiring/electrically challenged it is very helpful as well.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 04/10/10 at 04:56:50

I agree, but it kinda looks like a computer,.....thats a little scary ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 04/12/10 at 07:31:11

Very cool!  A nice clean way to split one wire to multiple uses.  I marked it for future reference. Smiley

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #10 - 04/12/10 at 18:10:52

Very nice.  I love the clean look.  I have one question.  If you need to take the rear fender off, are you now required to cut off the molex connectors?

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/12/10 at 18:54:15

wolfmrp wrote on 04/12/10 at 18:10:52:
Very nice.  I love the clean look.  I have one question.  If you need to take the rear fender off, are you now required to cut off the molex connectors?

No.
The same company that makes the connectors makes an extractor tool that unlocks the wire connectors and pushes them out of the nylon body in one quick step. The individual connector pins and sockets are about the same diameter as the wire, so routing them is very easy. Then you just plug them back in.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 06/01/10 at 21:31:43

John,

Nice job and great idea!

My only problem would be that I don't think I've got that much room under the rear seat (my bike is in my signature).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › adding circuits and controling the wiring mess

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.