Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suddenly MUCH LOUDER exhaust - whats up? (Read 501 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Suddenly MUCH LOUDER exhaust - whats up?
04/08/10 at 07:04:48

Hey guys - I was riding this morning, all fine, then went to get payroll from the accountant and all of a sudden my pipe got LOUD, really LOUD. And more louder, snappier backfiring than usual.
Although I occassionally get more backfiring when I'm low on gas, this was the pipe noise when accelerating.

Well I knew I was out of gas, so I filled up and rode the rest of the trip. Filling up has ALWAYS quieted the backfire in the past, and the pipe was never an issue.

But this time, the pipe is still insane LOUD with sharp loud backfiring - this has not happened before. I've got a Dyna pipe on, and I checked all the bolts (fine, tight).

Any ideas? I am afraid I'm going to get pulled over for NOISE, seriously!  Sad

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Suddenly MUCH LOUDER exhaust - whats up?
Reply #1 - 04/08/10 at 07:26:42

Do you know if the pipe had real baffle or just the washer in the pipe - say I think it was the screaming egls that really just had a large washer welded in the center of the pipe - I can see where this could blow out and cause a real sudden change

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 04/08/10 at 08:13:23

The baffles in the Dyna pipes, as well as the OEM muffs, have a tendency to come loose over time.  You're probably hearing a more open pipe because the baffle has let go.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/08/10 at 08:21:40

Yup,.. my Sporty baffle blew out last year...

It lasted 16k miles...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #4 - 04/08/10 at 13:25:30

Aww man - it took FOREVER to get that darn pipe on right in the first place, now this....hmmmm.

Yep, baffle sounds right - I did hear a metallic "clink" before it happened.  Now I am a SCREAMING SAVAGE look out, comin thru.

So, should I fix it (can it be fixed) or get a new pipe?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 04/08/10 at 14:48:24

Question Skate: Do you now notice any loss of power?

FSO
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/08/10 at 17:33:04

Joe,..I noticed a big power loss when mine blew out...

Skatergirl,... Buy another one.... if the baffle blew, the rest of the insides are in the same shape... it's toast...
Sorry girl... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 04/09/10 at 05:22:20

Performance - lower end not as good, but once I am at highway speeds it evens out.  It's backfiring WAY more at shifting, like double -triple gun shot snaps instead of the usual one POOT.  Grin

My coworkers were total thumbs UP when they heard me start up to leave the office last night. They loved the new Savage Sound; said I sound like a HD now.... Meanwhile, I am digging around for earplugs and full face helmet trying to be incognito as I frighten children and blow out glass windows in passing.

A friend with a Kawasaki said I might get better gas mileage now - something about not having restricted airflow?

And like I have extra $$ just lying around to get another pipe....I still havent fixed the broken turn rear signal!!   Aaargh!  Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 04/09/10 at 06:16:42

need to fix the pipe or tune the carb - the backfires and power loss says your running too lean with that rather open pipe

did you rejet with the hd pipe when you installed it?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 04/09/10 at 07:36:32

i have a sporty muffler with 0 baffle and i love it!!! in west palm beach, either they are 115 years old or have rap music on so it vibrates the cars next to them lol

i'm the smallest bike in our group, yet the loudest!!! even my friend's 1900 isn't as loud as the beast!!!!!

my father in law finally took a good look @ my bike and said "all that noise comes out of that little thing?"

i'm pretty sure that's a compliment lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 04/09/10 at 08:51:48

Reelthing wrote on 04/09/10 at 06:16:42:
need to fix the pipe or tune the carb - the backfires and power loss says your running too lean with that rather open pipe

did you rejet with the hd pipe when you installed it?

oh great. my pipe is already multiple colours from being hot as he!! all the time.  Tongue

and no i did not rejet - as i recall, many moons ago i asked which one of YOU GUYS from the forum was going to come to new bern and do that for me....and i am STILL WAITING!  Grin  Grin

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/09/10 at 22:15:29

rejet or replace before riding anymore. If you didnt rejet the first time you may have made the factory lean even worse and now with no baffle you've got a 3-fold lean condition.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/09/10 at 23:52:04

Seriously, if you cant rejet it yerself, pay to have it done. The cost will be saved by not cooking the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/10/10 at 13:43:08

Take out your compact mirror, you know, the one you check the oil with.
Get down beside the bike and inspect all the hidden sides of the muffler and pipe.
I once found on a stock muffler that two holes about 1/2 inch diameter had appeared in the underside of the muffler. They probably could have been welded up for some more miles but since I had a parts bike it was just change it out.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 04/12/10 at 05:19:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/09/10 at 23:52:04:
Seriously, if you cant rejet it yerself, pay to have it done. The cost will be saved by not cooking the engine.

DANG. this is my primary vehicle; i ride every day.
new pipe seach in progress.... Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suddenly MUCH LOUDER exhaust - whats up?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.