Updates/help (Read 692 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Updates/help
04/06/10 at 21:43:50

So i finally got around to dumping some serious coin on the savage and now i have something to show for it.
Whitewall tires: Front Avon, rear Dunlop 150/90-15 (it is really massive!). $350 all said and done for the pair with shipping and mounting.

got them from a seller on ebay who had the front paired with a harley rear. i called and got him to make me a set (the Avon is probably the last in the continental USA).

Cone air filter. $10 cheapo from ebay. its size 60mm instead of 57mm, but fits just fine and saved me $20.

i also removed the chrome head cover - more pics will come

However, I need some help with carb tuning now: i was running it all stock but put in something like a 150 main when i put the low restriction harley pipe on. i tried tuning the adjustment screw again after putting on the cone, but it didn't seem to change it much. also, there seems to be some lag when just starting to roll on the throttle.
there is a slight exhaust leak between the header and muffler. it has always detonated on shut-down. it is backfiring a lot on deceleration now.

someone please give me some sound advice. i looked at the carb jetting guides and i think i need a 50-ish pilot and maybe some spacer mod???? i don't really want to lose my 60mpg, but it needs to run right (aka no lag and less backfire). Help!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Updates/help
Reply #1 - 04/06/10 at 22:42:49

IDK how experienced yhou are with that air mix adjustment, but, it needs to be done very slowly. I rode around w/ a small screwdriver in my pocket & played with it at stop lights till I got it like I wanted it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #2 - 04/06/10 at 23:26:04

the fuel/air adjustment is done via the brass screw on the carb right?  on right side oh bike, toward the front?

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/06/10 at 23:42:45

Yea, each twist of the screw needs to be just , well, I did about 1/8th turn at a time, then drove it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 04/06/10 at 23:58:25

With that cone filter and your exhaust, you may want to go to a bigger jet from a 150 to a 152.5 if you can't get the air screw adjustment right.   Check your spark plug to see if you are running lean before upping the jet thou.

Lancer, your input would be needed here my friend.   Smiley

Very nice bike, and I like the white walls.   I'm running a 150/80-15 rear myself.   The bigger tire just belongs on the Savage. Smiley  I'm not running white walls thou....

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 04/07/10 at 02:16:27

Beautiful!

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #6 - 04/07/10 at 06:39:10

Thanks for the compliments. the rear tire just barely clears the front of the swing arm but its almost a perfect fit.

i had adjusted the carb screw before the air filter and i could notice a difference with about 1/4 turn increments. trying that now, i can't hardly notice a difference unless it is in or out pretty far...

Top end where the main kicks in seems to be fine, im just worried about the lag when i start roll on the throttle and not burning anything up.

its it possible that i could safely run it with stock pilot and needle and the screw about 2 1/2 turns out?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/07/10 at 06:43:26

i can't hardly notice a difference unless it is in or out pretty far...

If you can count the turns between where it starts to impact the way it runs as you screw in & as you screw out, then put it in the middle, maybe that would be a good spot?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/07/10 at 06:44:47

Great! Just great. I just bought a 160/80 Bridgestone rear and 90/90 Avon front. It should look something like that, at least I hope it would.

The fender, is this a modified stock, or you made this??

IP Logged
Amos
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oregon
Reply #9 - 04/07/10 at 15:14:35

Did you put that 150/90 on the stock narrow rim?  Do you notice any difference in the way the bike handles?

What seat is that?

Mine is apart in the middle of my living room in preparation for a new fender and seat.  I have been considering the 150/90 tire but thought I would have to find a 3.5" rim to lace on there to make it work.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #10 - 04/07/10 at 19:55:00

lets see... fender is made from a trailer fender, hence "trailer trash" name, seat is stock savage seat, rear rim is stock too. most of my bobber build is documented here: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1248802832/0

i think it handles well with the new tires, but that could just be that they have some actual tread now. one unintentional consequence of the bigger tire is that the rear sits much higher. i am more leaned forward, the seat is height is higher, and the change in the angle pretty much negated raising front of the seat which makes it a little uncomfortable  Undecided.

dasch, I don't know what a 160 would do, but that would be massive. i already had to adjust the rear axle back pretty far to clear the front of the swingarm. however, your profile is 80% of the 160mm width (128mm) instead of 90% of 150mm (135mm), so that'll probably be fine. of course you'll need to do something to fit that fat boy under a stock fender.

anyway, about the carb - is adjusted 2 1/2 turns out and seems to be ok, although popping a lot more than i like.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 04/09/10 at 08:07:19

Nice looking ride!  Cool mods as well Cool

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
kk lewi

Suki Love Rocks!

Eastern NC
Reply #12 - 04/09/10 at 19:00:09

did you do the muffler black yourself?  I've tried several times high heat (VHT Flame proof Header 1300-2000°F paint) with and without zinc chromate first and it has always chipped away at the header/muffler connection.

What did you use?

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #13 - 04/11/10 at 15:48:25

KK, The muffler is painted with that same VHT paint. i bought the muffler black already but had to redo it after it got scratched. It does chip easily, but are you curing it right?

more updates: took the bike out on rt 30 and noticed that its was wheezing at high speeds. picked up a 153.8 main jet (wtf size is that??) and now it takes off like a shot in the high end Grin.
Also, the fender bolts were rubbing the tire when i would hit bumps and doing terrible things to my new tread  :'(

so i switched back to the stock fender, sans siderails. i like the look and its a little more versitile

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/11/10 at 20:12:40

Great looking ride!
So...which state is missing a zero mile marker? Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print