fascar228
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Islamabad
Summer cooling mods
04/02/10 at 01:08:06

Hi All,

Summers here are HOT, I have been going through the threads with oil coolers and stuff, Just guessing what would you all say to a fan mod i.e what if we place a small fan (like in water cooled m/c's) on the front of the engine (chassis down pipes) we could get the current from the existing wiring harness and put a manual switch to activate it in slower traffic.....comments

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Summer cooling mods
Reply #1 - 04/02/10 at 04:25:55

A 12 volt fan large enough to do anything would task the charging system to keep it going without draining your battery.

========================

Next, if you are concerned about overheating you need to change to a good motorcycle rated synthetic oil.   This action by itself renders the bike pretty much impervious to overheating damage as the oil is what is damaged first, then the engine takes damage when the oil fails.

Take jet engines for example -- they live at 300+ degrees F all the time due to what they do, blowing flames and all.  Mobil 1 and that sort of hi temp synthetic oils were first developed for this sort of use and got used in cars and bikes once people realized they were really good stuff for air cooled engines since air cooled engines never get that hot even on a bad day.

PLEASE NOTE we say motorcycle rated synthetic oil -- there are lots of synthetic car oils out there that notably lack an additive you DO need for your flat tappets and can have other "energy star" stuff in them that can make your clutch slip that you certainly don't need.  

Read the labels and look for a JASO rated synthetic oil for motorcycle use.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/02/10 at 05:39:37

high temps were my consern at one time. i installed an oil temp gauge
temp never has got high enough to warrant adding the oil cooler i had planned..
some here have oil coolers,imo a larger oil reservoir is the only added benefit..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/02/10 at 09:15:29

how about adding an auxilary oil tank just to increase the capacity and possibly pick up a little extra cooling?

Not sure how to plumb that, tapping into the pressure system would fill the tank but how to get it back into the sump.
any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/02/10 at 09:28:53

easiest way would to plumb it like a cooler off the 2 pressure ports.
so why not just mount a cooler?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/02/10 at 09:58:14

I have forever been amazed with VWengines. Built in Germany, & they dont have the temps we do, ( well, as far as I know, anyway), then Ive seen those little buggers run at speeeds in HOT places &survive for many years.

Synth oil is a grand idea, & if I lived in a hotter place, I just mite go that way, but I think Ill just stick W/ the Rotella. Running that in the 4 wheeler & the bike & the backhoe. So far, I can see no oil use in the 4 wheeler, for months on end, then, suddenly, I check it & its down a hair..So, I change it. I change the bike when I start seeing the oil use go up from right after I change it. It Uses OIl, ohh yea, even when the oil is new, but, somewhere around 2200 to 25oo miles, it will start using it faster. Then I change it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 04/03/10 at 16:32:35

Yor best bet for keeping the engine cool during hot weather is getting the carb tuned right. With the stock setup the engine runs lean and hot so just a rejet can cool the engine down.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 04/03/10 at 16:39:57

How hot are you?...  I'm in Tucson Az...  if you're in Phoenix, Yuma, or Death Valley,... you win...
Otherwise,.. I'd say don't worry about it...
If you do live in one of those places... take the car!... that's too hot!....

... in 110' degrees,.. I'm in more danger of seizure than the bike...  recommend Slushy cooling,...
watch for brain freeze.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 04/03/10 at 16:51:02

Serowbot wrote on 04/03/10 at 16:39:57:
How hot are you?...  I'm in Tucson Az...  if you're in Phoenix, Yuma, or Death Valley,... you win...
Otherwise,.. I'd say don't worry about it...

I agree with Serowbot. I live in the living desert region of New Mexico which pretty much has the same climate as Tucson.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/03/10 at 23:05:06

I carry a pressure bottle with a hose &valve with a mister on it. I wet my shirt before I leave home when its real hot. & add the spray mist when it starts drying out. I am in East Tx, but it gets hot enough that I want cooled down,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:29:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Summer cooling mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.