Is my bike totalled??? (Read 642 times)
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Is my bike totalled???
04/01/10 at 13:57:03

Hey all,

Here is my adventure...So last week I was driving my bike home from work and hit an oil slick or something wet in the road as I was entering a right hand curve. Before I could blink I was sliding across the asphalt with the bike on top of my right leg and scraping the ground at the same time. My jacket,helmet,Jeans, and boots all took one helluva beating. None of them are usable anymore. Now for the Bike damage. I broke off the right side mirror,bent up the right footpeg, Dented up the front of my tank(baseball sized dent) gas leaking from slightly, Destroyed rear turn signals, busted up front headlight and headlight housing, scrapped up the muffler, and knocked the handlebar out of alignment with front wheel. Somehow I was still able to crank the baby up and drive it 47miles back home on the highway. So my question now is will my insurance total the bike out or do you think they will be able to repair it for less than what my bike is worth. BTW its an 06 S40 with about 5K on it not sure what KBB has it going for yet. Any input is appreciated. Cool

IP Logged
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Re: Is my bike totalled???
Reply #1 - 04/01/10 at 15:33:38

expensive....maybe

but honestly sounds like a great project...first of all its great to hear that you are ok....you ARE ok right.. 47 miles on a banged up bike is impressive! sounds like you should start reading some of the upgrades people have been doing on here and start putting together a parts list. really you just damaged a majority of the things people change on their bikes. If your not too scared of tearing it down and putting a little attitude into your bike you should be fine. If not and you want insurance to handle it I wouldn't imagine that it will cost you the worth of your bike. Good luck with it and keep us informed.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/01/10 at 15:41:42

I don't know how insurance companies work in Arizona but from what I've seen they will probably right it off.  Two possible options come to mind.

1. Take the money which probably won't be that much, and buy the bike back from them for peanuts. The damage doesn't sound that bad, make the repairs and enjoy.

2. Take the money and buy another Savage.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #3 - 04/01/10 at 15:46:14

Glad your ok.  Depending on your insurance you could buy the totaled bike from them for a hundred dollars or so.  Then put the insurance money towards the up grades.  You would have a salvage title but unless your going for resale that means nothing.

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/01/10 at 17:08:27

Start with having the insurance company giving the bike a look and take it from there. If the bike is repairable see if the insurance company will cut you the check instead of a body shop. It doesn't sound too bad, just cosmetic damage. You should be able to straighten out the front forks by loosening up the triple tree and twisting on the handle bars. I've had to do that a couple times Wink, the rest of the damage is just paint, liights and a tank. He!! you rode it home didn't you so the bike can't be that badly damaged. Glade to hear you didn't get hurt and was able to get back on the steel horse for the ride home.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Kirk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, GA
Reply #5 - 04/02/10 at 05:57:52

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Actually I was injured but too embarrased to show it in front of all the gawkers.. I popped up like a jack in the box and lifted the bike back up pretty quick. My ribs still hurting and of course I have road rash in a few places but overall im good. I will say this about the savage though even though she took a hard hit she still cranked up got me home somehow. Savage truly lives up to its name when it comes to taking abuse and still performing. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome from the insurance adjuster sometime next week.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 04/02/10 at 07:40:32

glad you're ok man! i laid mine down as well, and then the mods started!!

turn signals can be had @ cycle gear online for 20 bucks a set, they won't be og suzuki but who cares?

if u like the rat look, jb weld the hole in your tank, or buy a used replacement! if u do, i'll probably buy the wrecked one just to have another tank to work on

throw a better set of bars on there, go older style buck or find another set of drag bars

u wanna put a sportster muffler on anyway, so no worries

headlights can be had on here or ebay

ummmmm that's all i can think of...i was goin around 55 on mine then went airborne....savage indeed!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/02/10 at 07:50:18

If the bike ends up with a salvage title, you may want to check with the insurance companies before you spend $ to put it back on the road.  Many insurance companies will either refuse to insure a salvage title vehicle, or will charge a very high premium to do so.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 04/02/10 at 08:21:37

Glad your ok.. a good lesson in always wearing your gear Wink

Wild to hear you rode it home...47 miles!

Steering all out of whack and a leaky gas tank, pretty amazed you and the bike made it home.

Whatever happens with the bike/insurance a MC rider you have remained. Cool

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #9 - 04/02/10 at 15:09:35

"Somehow I was still able to crank up the baby an drive it 47 miles..."

Yup, a savage will do that  Wink

Glad you're fine, your bike will be fine too with a bit of
time, work and a few replacement parts; and be sure to
wear the bikes battlescars that will be left with pride!

If you decide to fix it up you can get your original
savage Parts cheap at an online store called "pinwall
Motorcycle". Its a bike chop/parts warehouse in ohio
That sells mostly through ebay, check em' out!

Good luck.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #10 - 04/02/10 at 16:55:59

If you decide to fix it up you can get your original
savage Parts cheap at an online store called "pinwall
Motorcycle". Its a bike chop/parts warehouse in ohio
That sells mostly through ebay, check em' out!

Good luck. [/quote]
I have shopped Pinwall with good results- and they have, in stock, anything you need,

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
crabpainter

Look Twice Save A
Life    

Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/03/10 at 17:14:29

Man what caught my eye was, "an oil slick or something wet in the road as I was entering a right hand curve".
Like a stomach punch. Around here they lay those out for us bikers...
I've got a few parts that might help. Tank will be the expensive part to make right. How's the seat?

Interested in pre 70's British bikes or Hodaka's.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 04/04/10 at 17:02:32

Before throwing lotsa dough into (or at ) it, have a shop check out the frame & esp the top of the steering for cracks or stress....sometimes it takes a while for a serious issue to work it way into the open.  Glad you are okay.

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #13 - 04/04/10 at 18:31:12

I'd say skip the insurance,  fix er up, and get er back on the road.

I high-sided last year and took the surgery recoup time to make some changes and mods.  I only got a few miles on her last year but she was out and about yesterday for a full ride.  My baby was upside down (landed on the handle bars) and was better than new for about $250.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/10 at 19:05:25

Trippah wrote on 04/04/10 at 17:02:32:
Before throwing lotsa dough into (or at ) it, have a shop check out the frame & esp the top of the steering for cracks or stress....sometimes it takes a while for a serious issue to work it way into the open.  Glad you are okay.

Absolutely correct.  Microscopic stress cracks invisible to your eyes can exist within the metal as a result of an accident.  As you continue to stress the metal by riding, the cracks can slowly or quickly increase in size and that can lead to catastrophic failure.  Magnafluxing will reveal these stress cracks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:18:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is my bike totalled???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.