Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Harley Slip on exhaust (Read 917 times)
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Re: Harley Slip on exhaust
Reply #30 - 04/05/10 at 20:56:56

Serowbot wrote on 04/05/10 at 17:33:02:
... the difference is in the installer....

The difference is in the header pipe.  The pictures I posted in the other thread make it perfectly clear why some can't do it without that angled adapter.  Simply stated, some header pipes aren't straight enough.  

I'm not sure why anyone would take that as a personal insult or an invitation for an argument, especially when other forum members have already admitted using an angle adapter and even posted pictures and directions on how to make one.  

Joe

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #31 - 04/05/10 at 21:27:48

Arthur wrote on 04/05/10 at 16:22:48:
Babyhog it seems your part number is not a direct fit, so I will remove it from the list of part numbers I am saving.  This leaves only 2 HD non-catalytic, tapered muffler part numbers for a direct fit without alterations:

64941-01
65388-95

so mine gets left out cause it's not tapered? Angry just kidding but seriously though, this muffler has a cat converter in it? does it benefit me in any way besides epa stuff? more importantly does it affect me adversely?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 04/05/10 at 22:01:45

Siriusjoe, I doubt anyone would take that as an insult.  The only friction in this thread may have to do with the people who have never attempted this conversion and therefore cannot speak with any authority about it, but insist on arguing anyway.  As for the header pipe, the problem most people have had is not the angle of the pipe, but their inability to get it far enough in the muffler.  In about the 2 years I've been on this site, your complaint about pipe angle is rare.  Most people have adapters made because they have difficulty sliding the header far enough into the muffler, so instead they use an adapter to make it easier.

RTC, my error and I stand corrected. I  changed my parts number posting found earlier in this thread, and will accordingly advise anyone in the future who wants to do this conversion.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #33 - 04/05/10 at 22:20:14

Arthur wrote on 04/05/10 at 22:01:45:
Joe, I doubt anyone would take that as an insult.  The only friction in this thread may have to do with the people who have never attempted this conversion and therefore cannot speak with any authority about it, but insist on arguing anyway.  As for the header pipe, the problem most people have had is not the angle of the pipe, but their inability to get it far enough in the muffler.  In about the 2 years I've been on this site, your complaint about pipe angle is rare.  Most people have adapters made because they are unable to slide the header far enough into the muffler, so they use an adapter. It may take some patience.

RTC, my error and I stand corrected. I  changed my parts number posting found earlier in this thread, and will accordingly advise anyone in the future who wants to do this conversion.

thanks but does this muffler really have a cat conv. in it? do you know?

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 04/05/10 at 22:23:53

About the CAT, Serowbot said:

"Harley 65844-95 is a rail mount w/ internal cat. from a FXST 1450cc Softail"

If Serowbot says it does, you can believe him.  He has considerable experience with these conversions.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #35 - 04/05/10 at 22:27:38

ok well that's not my pn and the harley dealer said it came of a dyna

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #36 - 04/05/10 at 23:43:26

RTC,.. if it has a cat,... it will be clearly printed on the side with the EPA certification...
Looking in from the intake end, it looks like a coiled up hacksaw blade... it's basically nothing more than a heat coil, designed to burn up excess pollutants...
Negatives are the extra heat, but insulating exterior metal is designed for it, so external metal temps are said to be no more...

PS,.. I'm not insulted by anything here...
My comments may have been taken as insult...  I apologize..
I'm just saying what I believe to be true from reading the posts...
It is, perhaps, a difference in definition...  "easy swap", "direct replacement",...whatever...
The only thing that will bolt up exactly like a factory piece,...is a factory piece,... and even that requires that you have no other mods getting in the way...

Semantics aside,... a Harley, rail mount, muffler, without a crossover tube,... fits pretty well, and is an easy swap... and it sounds, looks, and works well...

Some people here, can not only rebuild an engine, but machine the parts to make one.... I can't....
Others here, don't change their own oil...
So,.. simple, easy,.... are relative terms...

If I think I'm being more harmful than helpful,... I'll stop giving advice ... I won't need to be told...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #37 - 04/06/10 at 05:40:51

Serowbot wrote on 04/05/10 at 23:43:26:
RTC,.. if it has a cat,... it will be clearly printed on the side with the EPA certification...
Looking in from the intake end, it looks like a coiled up hacksaw blade... it's basically nothing more than a heat coil, designed to burn up excess pollutants...
Negatives are the extra heat, but insulating exterior metal is designed for it, so external metal temps are said to be no more...

PS,.. I'm not insulted by anything here...
My comments may have been taken as insult...  I apologize..
I'm just saying what I believe to be true from reading the posts...
It is, perhaps, a difference in definition...  "easy swap", "direct replacement",...whatever...
The only thing that will bolt up exactly like a factory piece,...is a factory piece,... and even that requires that you have no other mods getting in the way...

Semantics aside,... a Harley, rail mount, muffler, without a crossover tube,... fits pretty well, and is an easy swap... and it sounds, looks, and works well...

Some people here, can not only rebuild an engine, but machine the parts to make one.... I can't....
Others here, don't change their own oil...
So,.. simple, easy,.... are relative terms...

If I think I'm being more harmful than helpful,... I'll stop giving advice ... I won't need to be told...

Awesome answer Serow!  Applause, applause!!!  Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #38 - 04/06/10 at 06:55:22

I have only one more thing to say,....
I can keep up w/ any of you's when it come to installing anything,.... my only beef has been the misleading statement of direct fit, when in fact there ain't a one of these mufflers that fits these bike like the OEM, or like they are supposed to. The ID ond OD does not match, nor does any one of them have the 7 degree kink in them to position them away from the brake hub, and let them slide on to the header pipe easily. No, I have not installed one, but I have seen, and measured enough of them to know they are NOT a direct fit. And its not like I have not done my share of muffler and pipe fitting in my day.
Yes, it is in the installers as to how easily you can make them "so called fit" !
If I was installing one, I would first of all machine a bushing for a "DIRECT FIT" OD and ID. (yes, I can do that) Then I would wedge cut the muffler inlet for the 7 degree kink, weld it back, and it would really be a "Direct Fit"

So, call it what you like, but I will continue to tell others what to expect when they ask, and are told the Dana's are A "Direct fit"

ps: Quote:
Indirect fit  
--------------------------
Bill, you got it !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #39 - 04/06/10 at 14:48:46

Routy: No, I have not installed one

i rest my case.  Roll Eyes

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #40 - 04/06/10 at 23:10:06

jabman wrote on 04/06/10 at 14:48:46:
i rest my case.  Roll Eyes

Me too:

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #41 - 04/06/10 at 23:34:01

That's a new guard in the middle by the way. no adapter or fabrication needed. I have have no idea what you have done with yours.

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 04/06/10 at 23:42:37

No angle problems on mine either. 30-60 minute install, no adapters, welding or leaks.

IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #43 - 04/07/10 at 01:23:18

That's great.  

Which one of you wants to swap header pipes with me?

Grin

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #44 - 04/07/10 at 10:31:10

Here's just an observation.  I have installed both a stock muffler and a Dyna muffler.  Actually just installed a second Dyna muffler.  I have not had to use an angle adapter, but I have had to use tin or copper shims at the muffler/header joint, for the Dynas.  There are two rotation points in the installation:  one at the header flange, the other at the muffler/header-pipe-joint.  Leaving all connections loose and using trial and error to get both rotation points at their most ideal spot seems to have worked for me

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:23:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Harley Slip on exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.