Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alaska to Washington on a Savage!...? (Read 265 times)
Bri_Fri
YaBB Newbies

Young Gun

Homer, Alaska
Alaska to Washington on a Savage!...?
03/31/10 at 14:08:46

Hello all,
Its been several months since I've been on the site; its good to be back! Im planning a roadtrip from Homer, Alaska down to Seattle this spring. Google says its 2630 miles but if memory serves its closer to 3k. Im 19, (obviously slightly crazy  Shocked) and can handle a little misery.

So I have come here to seek your guidance on what will ease some of the suffering. What has worked best for yall?

On my list so far:
Metzlers
New Seat???
Windshield??
Forward Controls
Cruise Control?
Large Saddle Bags??
I'll probably bring a jerry jug for gas...
I'm set with handlebars (some 32" wide bars) and power mods.

Anything else you can think of??

Thanks!

-Brian

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Alaska to Washington on a Savage!...?
Reply #1 - 03/31/10 at 14:57:26

Oil
tools for valve adjust
fuses
light bulbs
air pump/insta tire
various screws/bolts/nuts
tape

of course depends upon the ammenities along the way.

and a sack full of marbles so you can replace the ones that have gone missing at the end of the day.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
qp
YaBB Newbies

Salt Lake City
Reply #2 - 03/31/10 at 15:18:02

The factory windscreen may be inadequate, try to find one that will come up to the top of your head.
Corbin seats look like they feel great, but they cost big bucks.

Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 03/31/10 at 17:32:47

Good all weather gear
At least a sheepskin cover for the seat. It's soft and will keep the o'l butt warm.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 03/31/10 at 23:05:48

make sure yer cam chain for fuel tao is not gonna bust on yer Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 04/01/10 at 09:02:11

Since you will be leaving and re-entering the US, make sure you have proper documentation such as a passport. Be sure you have any required documentation for the motorcycle, such as proof of registration. Make sure your motor vehicle insurance is valid in Canada. Check with Canadian Customs so you don't inadvertently carry contraband. If you have prescription medications, make sure they are in the prescription container.

I'd want to make sure the tires had enough life left in them for the trip, which probably means a new rear at least.  I would make sure the motorcycle's maintenance wouldn't come due during the trip, then I wouldn't worry about carrying anything for it except perhaps a quart of oil. It is not likely any major harm would befall should you go overdue on maintenance, in any case. A set of inner tubes might be good insurance, as well as a headlight and taillight bulb. If your battery is more than a couple or years old it might be wise to replace it before you set out.

The old rule for travel: Take half as much "stuff" and twice as much money.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/01/10 at 09:19:29

make sure you waterproof the engine and everything else, driving over ice can be scary...

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/01/10 at 15:59:27

Since your only 19 just get on and ride. In '66 I rode from Windsor Ontario Canada to LA on a salvaged '63 Norton. We did what we had to do and had a hell of a time doing it. According to Google maps that's about 4500 miles on the straightest line they can come up with. Most of those roads didn't even exist back then. Unfortunately the only thing I have left from the trip is memories.    

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/01/10 at 17:17:40

Plan to spend an evening in Anchorage at the Great Alaskan Bush Pilot, if it is still in  bussiness.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
ESLloyd
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/01/10 at 17:34:08

Log on to advrider.com (join) and research 48 state USA to Alaska trips.Be prepared to enjoy weeks of reading.Then read about the really adventurous trips across the  world.

IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/01/10 at 18:36:17

ESLloyd wrote on 04/01/10 at 17:34:08:
Log on to advrider.com (join) and research 48 state USA to Alaska trips.Be prepared to enjoy weeks of reading.Then read about the really adventurous trips across the  world.

HOLY SHIEEEET! I just joned

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 04/01/10 at 19:39:35

I've done two round trips from southern MN to Miami, FL and one to SC, in the heat of August on my 650. I hauled a ton of stuff I never touched, but the bike handles it all really well. The FL trips ended up being around 4k miles each.

I suggest using synth oil. You get a lot longer between changes, run several degrees cooler and it smells slightly better if you develop the "dread-oil-plug" leak and have to live with a bit of burn-off aroma.

There's nothing you can do about the stock seat to make it bearable for several days in the saddle. I have a V-Star saddle seat on my bike. Any kind of saddle shape will give you much better support more wiggle around room when it becomes necessary. I have a gel pad that doesn't do much for long term butt-bone comfort, but does absorb a lot of the vibration which is a good thing indeed.

Do some 2-4 hour runs to start getting the bottom built up. I did 200 miles yesterday and the numb is almost gone.

Don't be afraid to stop and look around. Don't be afraid to take what might be an interesting detour. Take a lot of pictures.

Jack

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 04/02/10 at 14:11:14

My S-i-L did it in 98 as I remember, from Anchorage to Haines/Skagway in May. The later down from Prince Rupert and across part of Canada to Colorado. They live in Juneau when there are not riding. Savage served her well, Might think about an extra drive belt if you catch a rock between it and the pulleys, maybe can find a used one up there to save some $. When we drove up from Seattle to Anchorage in '78, seems like I got paid mileage for 2500 miles off the truck odometer. I was born and raised in Anchorage, swore I'd never go back but did in 78-99 and then retired to Eastern WA state, now wintering in AZ as even EW was getting to cld and wet. Have a great trip. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:32:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alaska to Washington on a Savage!...?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.