Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question for the bobbers (Read 356 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
question for the bobbers
03/30/10 at 21:27:27

okay i got another question for you bobbers out there. can i get a straight through exhaust that will sound good without being ridiculously loud? alsoi want to mount some s40 bars on my 02 savage mounts. will this cause problems? i like the low profile look. thanks guys! this forum makes my life so easy because so many people love this bike!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: question for the bobbers
Reply #1 - 03/30/10 at 21:29:30

oh yeah one more. is there a cool bobber seat out ther for the savage that will work with minimal(no welding) mod or is this a custom job?

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 03/31/10 at 05:25:25

To install S40 drag bars, I know you will need S40 (or equivalent)risers to go with them.  I read on here that the drag bars will hit the tank without risers.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/31/10 at 06:47:35

You need risers like these(or equivalent).They are the factory risers.

The rear plate to hold the springs is just a piece of flat stock drilled to fit the seat bolts(springs),and the rear fender mounting holes.The holes go all the way through.

The front hinge/mount is a universal piece that any aftermarket Harley shop has or can get.And you need the clamp that bolts to the frame.It is designed for a tubular frame but if you use just the hinged part it will bolt right to the rear tank mount.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/31/10 at 08:27:42

As for the exhaust, check ebay for Harley takeoffs. Dyna, sportster, or whatever you like the looks of. They are almost all straight through with some baffling inside. $10-$40 approx.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/31/10 at 10:11:20

You need some rise on the bars to avoid the tank.
Can be accomplished several ways.
easiest is buying a buying a bar with it built in.
mini-apes
z-bars
flanders is a good source of shapes and terms
next would be the riser.
the stock riser is higher than it has to be, but then you have more options with the orientation of the bars.
You can buy 3/4" 3/8 drive deep sockets and raise up the existing clamps.  others have used bmx foot pegs.  You just need to replace the bolt through the clamp with a longer one.

WWW   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 03/31/10 at 10:44:51

Just to be clear, the bars won't hit the tank but the controls will.  If you were to significantly modify your controls you could use the drag bars w/o risers.  I saw a Honda with a clutch that twisted like the throttle and the front brake was tied to the rear at the pedal.  All other switches were relocated or removed so the handlebars looked like bicycle handlebars.  Very cool.  
An easier way to get that low look you want would be straight "broomstick" handlebars.  They would be a similar height to the drag bars but with no pullback so no tank banging.

I went with clubman bars.  Here's a pic with my first set.  I have since switched to chrome.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 03/31/10 at 12:11:08

i have a debaffled harley sportster muffler, looks legit but loud as $h1t lol it's not loud as in "i'm gonna get a ticket from that cop 4 blocks away because he can hear me" but people do hear u coming, which is the point!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 03/31/10 at 14:05:01

There is one other option to protect your tank while running drag bars with no risers that someone else mentioned in a similar thread recently.  On the very front of the frame is a small tab that limits the movement of the steering stem.  It you were to enlarge that tab you could keep the bars away from the tank.  It would change your turning radius when walking the bike but we never turn our handlebars  to the limit when riding so you could still ride normally.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #9 - 03/31/10 at 16:38:37

does anyone have any experience riding with a straight broomstick bar? i like the look but they seem like they might be kind of uncomfortable.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 04/01/10 at 07:44:19

Diamond Jim had one.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/01/10 at 09:52:42

I rode an intruder with a straight bar. No problem on short runs. Not sure about long hauls.

IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #12 - 04/01/10 at 14:20:27

okay so this is my ghetto semi homemade straight pipe... its the stock header with a piece of chrome pipe i found laying around... i tack welded it on because this bike just loves to rattle itself to pieces and wrapped the whole thing with header wrap from autozone... this is a really freaking loud exhaust but with the right jetting and airfilter setup it wont sound like a drive by everytime you go for a ride... also i got the shortest riser i could find and welded in some stoppers so i do ding up my tank... the whole thing is pretty much a work in progress but i love it so far

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
funridetohell gasmaskfuturexx   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #13 - 04/01/10 at 19:50:22

Looks good Kickstart!

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/01/10 at 20:06:27

I run drag bars lower than the triple, but then again im special.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:24:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question for the bobbers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.