Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer (Read 785 times)
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer
Reply #30 - 06/02/10 at 05:16:48

babyhog wrote on 03/29/10 at 08:18:19:
Love my S40 and agree with all the comments above.  
But no one mentioned the best advantage...  SuzukiSavage.com!  The Rebel may have a forum too, but you won't find a better group of supportive people than right here!!

Other bikes... The Eliminator is a Kawasaki, right?  I think its 250.  And I believe Kawi also makes a 500, or at least did, the Vulcan 500, I think its nice.  

Yeah, there's a Vulcan 500, or at least there was; not sure if it's still in the lineup.  Side by side twin, liquid cooled.  From what everyone says, it's basically a Ninja engine and trans in a cruiser frame.  Should be pretty fun, but I suspect you'd run into the same valve adjusting situation. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #31 - 06/02/10 at 08:04:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/28/10 at 12:07:41:
Anyone ever screw up, leaving a stop sign & seeing something coming, closer, faster than you thought? Thats when having a bike that has some Punch can really be a good thing. Or, you can just make sure you never screw up..

Anyone ever screw up, getting on the freeway, & seeing something coming, closer, faster than you thought?  That's when you really need to goose it and appreciate a 650.  Sure a 250 will get on the freeway, but the lack of power really makes you nervous when traffic is heavy, fast, full of rude tailgaters.  You need good acceleration FROM the maximum speed you want to cruise at.  

Ask the same "this vs. that" question on a Honda Rebel forum, and watch the conclusion go the other way.. things like the better gas mileage and longer cam chain life will have much greater importance.   But then there are gobs of simple, easy to maintain bikes that do wonderfully in town, and they're thumpers.. Yamaha XT225 or TW200, Honda CRF230L, Kawasaki Sherpa.

My brother had a Rebel-engined Nighthawk 250 and it was a fun bike to putt around on.  But not as fun as a single.  Sure, singles generally vibrate more, but it is a lot less annoying, lower frequency vibe.  I had a 400cc Yamaha twin that was quite powerful for its size... it would get on the highway no problem.. but I hated it.  It had the worst of both worlds.. whiny character, but not the super performance of an inline 4.  If I was going to put up with the character of a multi, I'd get a 4 cylinder sportbike that can really blast off.

So for maximum fun and ease of maintenance, I say go with an air cooled thumper.  A small one for in town riding, or a Savage for highway use.  Wink

When you were a kid and your parents were making you mow the lawn, didn't you want to co-opt the lawnmower engine, mount it in a minibike and take off?  To me, that's what thumpers are all about.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #32 - 06/02/10 at 08:37:49

Used at reserve, about 2.2 gallons:

city stop/start WOT stop/start I get about 45mpg -- 99 miles.
normal city usage, probably 55mpg -- 122 miles
riding highway/Interstate 65-70mph 60-65mpg -- 132-143 miles
Across the Mojave, 50-55mph, 70mpg -- 154 miles.

Used full to the rim to last drop and you are pushed I get 2.93 gallons.  A 60-65 mph I can get 65mph -- 190 miles.

(The West likes bigger tankage.  My Fiat 236 Van Camper did 20mpg and my custom second tankage carried 50 gallons total -- 1000 miles.)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.