Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer (Read 785 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer
Reply #15 - 03/29/10 at 09:30:27

adj_jaker wrote on 03/29/10 at 09:10:40:
Charon wrote on 03/28/10 at 11:10:18:
I have an S40 and a 2007 Ninja 250. I have not had a 250 Rebel. I suspect you will find either the S40 or the Rebel somewhat of a disappointment after the Ninja. Valve adjustment on the Ninja is a pain, but valve adjustment on the S40 is no pleasure either. Battery replacement on the Ninja is easier. Oil and filter change is a wash. The S40 calls for retorquing the head bolts every 4000 miles, and depending on tolerances on the frame and engine this might call for removal of the engine (if you do it - few do). The brakes on the Ninja are much better. Fuel range on the Ninja nears 200 miles - the S40 is about 100 miles per tank. If you like a tach, forget either the S40 or the Rebel. Suspension on the S40 is harsh. The speedometer on the S40 is on the fuel tank, which means you have to look further down to check it, and a tank bag will cover it up anyway. The S40 has no trip meter.

With those comments, I do enjoy riding the S40. I have taken it for a couple of fairly long rides (400 mile days) and it does just fine. You do have to keep an eye on your fuel state. There are some parts of Nebraska where fuel stops are widely spaced. I have not yet ridden the Ninja that far in one day, but I will comment that the engine on the Ninja is considerably smoother.

S40 gets 100 miles per tank?  What moped gas tank are you using on your bike?  Tongue

I think concensus is re-fueling at around 100 miles with a stock Savage/S40 tank.  The tank is only 2.8 gallons, including the reserve of .6 gallons.  That's only 2.2 gallons before having to hit reserve.  If you get 50 mpg, that's 110 miles.  
Having said that, the last time I re-fueled, I was at 101 miles since the last fill-up.  It only took 1.295 gallons, which averages to almost 78mpg.  I'm pretty sure I filled it to about the same place... although my hubby usually does the filling for me.  But I filled it pretty good, expecting to pump more than that.  Anyway, I'm not sure what my gas mileage has been averaging.  Might be able to stretch 150 miles on a tank, but 100 is easier to remember.... and rest butt!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 03/29/10 at 10:04:46

I  go on reserve at about 135 miles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #17 - 03/29/10 at 14:03:19

I fill up every 100 miles and don't get down to reserve.  100 miles is also about when my buttocks need recuperation.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verdesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/30/10 at 06:27:06

I sure appreciate the responses.

My wife just got a rebel and I must say after doing a quick maintenance that it's absolutely simple to work on and a breeze to check the valves. I didnt go any faster than 55 on the test drive of her bike but I found the torque very nice on take off (almost comparable to the ninja). Looking in the mirror, I noticed the cars behind me fade quickly as I pulled away from them at the light. I dont know how her bike performs at higher speeds but at low speeds I was completely satisfied.

If the S40 has considerable more grunt at low speeds than the rebel, I'm sure it will it will win points there.

The determining factors of buying an S40 will likely toss around in my mind for the next  couple of weeks, contemplating fuel economy, valve adjustments and the mentioned cylinder head retorquing (not liking that part).

In the rebel service manual, I didnt see anything about cylinder head retorquing. Hate to say it but as far as fuel economy goes the rebel scores searious points there from what I'm reading.

I don't mind turning wrenches and I'm competent in that area but I don't have a garage so open engine wrenching needs to be quick... I wont miss the ninja. It's a great bike but those valve adjustments alone are the main reason I'm getting rid of it. It's simply a pain in the rear to do (especially if a gust of wind stirs up dirt and the rushing and cussing starts).  Embarrassed This is what's also keeping me from buying a much larger cc bike. Although I hear somebody makes a bike with hydraulic valves.  Shocked

Maintenance as far as cables, chains/belts, oil changes etc is normally fun stuff and allows the owner time to appreciate and bond with the bike. Valve adjustments on the other hand can cause an owner to get rid of the bike if it ends up taking hours to do (ninja).

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies and YES you are a great bunch of guys Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 03/30/10 at 08:21:14

babyhog wrote on 03/29/10 at 08:18:19:
Love my S40 and agree with all the comments above.  
But no one mentioned the best advantage...  SuzukiSavage.com!  The Rebel may have a forum too, but you won't find a better group of supportive people than right here!!

Other bikes... The Eliminator is a Kawasaki, right?  I think its 250.  And I believe Kawi also makes a 500, or at least did, the Vulcan 500, I think its nice.  

Suzuki makes a 250 with dual header exhaust' They run a 2 into 1 pipe

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #20 - 03/30/10 at 09:07:02

Suzuki makes two 250 singles.  The GZ250 and the TU250.  I'm wondering why they put a two into one exhaust on an engine that they describe as "single cylinder, SOHC, 2-valve engine with Twin Dome Combustion Chamber (TDCC)"?

The photos look like the engines on the two bikes use the same bottom end with different cylinders and heads.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #21 - 03/31/10 at 10:02:03

Kawasaki's 500 Vulcan is liquid cooled, and would likely be just as much fun as your Ninja for routine maintenance. I do not know whether it uses screw and lock nut valve adjusters, but their 500 Ninja does. Kawasaki's Eliminator is a 125 single cylinder, and really isn't in the same league with the 250s. Yes - I have one. It will make 65 mph on a no-wind day, on flat ground, but it is happier at 55. I rode it from central Nebraska to and through the Rocky Mountain National Park. It has better fuel range than the S40, and a trip odometer.

If you really are interested in less maintenance, many of the V-twin cruisers have hydraulic valve adjusters, shaft drive, and electronic fuel injection. Unfortunately, a lot more weight tends to go along with the bigger engines. A lot of Kawasaki's V-twins also require premium fuel, a nuisance. I haven't looked extensively at any of the V-twins, because I don't especially want one of them.

Up until a few years ago I had  a Honda Twinstar 200. The engine in that is the ancestor of the engine in the 250 Rebel and the 250 Nighthawk. It is a twin, with a 360 crank (both pistons move together). It is not counterbalanced, and at speeds over about 45 (on the Twinstar) the mirrors blurred from vibration. While it did not have the strong pulses of a big single, it actually was a more unpleasant engine for vibration. So, a small twin is not necessarily smoother than a big counterbalanced single such as the S40. The 250 Ninja uses a 180 crank (one piston is up while the other is down) and a counterbalance shaft, as did the Suzuki 650 Tempter of many years ago.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #22 - 04/01/10 at 07:46:30

I talked to a few bike owners before buying my first bike, my 07 S40. EVERY one of them said to start out with no less than a 500 as you will outgrow it soon. I've very glad I did and jumped on the S40. Smiley

Fuel mileage. I did great before the muffler/jet change. I was getting about 65 mpg. Speed also seems to effect it quit a lot. If I do 70 or above, it sucks the gas. I hit 98 miles and had to hit the reserve, the engine died on the highway. Came back to life after hitting the reserve. If I keep my speeds below 70, it does quite  bit better. My normal drving, I fill up every 100 miles.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #23 - 04/01/10 at 10:18:55

i almost bought a rebel first, as fate would have it the seller turned me down WITH cash in hand!

luckily so, as all my friend's said i would have ridden it for a week and would slap a for sale sign on it.....not so with my savage beast! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 04/01/10 at 10:32:59

Most big v-twin riders will say the Savage is a starter bike, but in my opinion the rebel is more of a starter bike than the Savage. I used to own a '85 Rebel 250 when I was a teenager, I outgrew it within a couple of months.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/02/10 at 16:10:43

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 04/01/10 at 10:32:59:
Most big v-twin riders will say the Savage is a starter bike, but in my opinion the rebel is more of a starter bike than the Savage. I used to own a '85 Rebel 250 when I was a teenager, I outgrew it within a couple of months.

Most big v-twin riders will say anything that isnt near, the same, or greater in displacement is a beginner bike. I've had people tell me a 883 sportster is a beginners bike. HA! to that. The rebel really is a beginners bike though. Had it one summer and got my savage the next spring.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/02/10 at 16:45:54

depends on how you define beginner, for me the intimidation of motorcycles was that I couldn't reach the ground on most of them, unless they were very small, rebel size, but I couldn't convince myself to spend 4 years paying off a rebel, so thankfully suzuki makes this s-40 thing, it's great!  best starter bike out there, has some power so you don't feel like you need to upgrade right away, I've had a s-40 for a year now and I could handle a bigger bike now, and I want a bigger bike, but I don't NEED a bigger bike, this bike fits me like a glove, a sportster pushes my comfort a little since I can reach the ground but not flat foot, well not really, but I've ridden a victory vegas and that's just a cool bike, but I wouldn't want to learn on one when you have to stop just cause something doesn't feel right, it's a bit harder when you have to reach for all the controls

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 04/04/10 at 12:29:32

I had a '82 Honda CM250 Custom.  First year of the Twinstar 250 engine that is still used in the Rebel 250.  

It was a good starter bike.  But compare to a LS650 it does not. Power is totally different.  

Note, I just read that Suzuki TU-250 (single cylinder 250) now has fuel injection.  Hmmmmm  ... trial on the 250, move up to the 650 (I can dream can't  I ?? )  

T.Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 06/01/10 at 20:37:02

My daughter got a Rebel about seven or eight years ago when she was in high school.

I rode it a bit and liked it....nice and smooth.  However, I noticed that my knees hit the handlebars in tight turns(!)  I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam.....not a real big guy.

For a male adult beginner, I think the Savage is a better starter bike than is the Rebel by far!

« Last Edit: 06/19/10 at 21:12:47 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #29 - 06/01/10 at 21:19:02

I've had both and like them both.  The 250 looses speed going up hills and the savage gains speed going up hill.

I refer to my savage as a 250 weight bike ,  that doesn't loose speed going up hill all the time.  also I sold my 250 rebel to my little brother and after 20,000 miles it was flat wore-out !   My savage just rolled over 35,000 and is a strong as ever.  

Get the 650 cc , 352 lbs , fun machine .... you'll never find another bike like it .   I've had 30 + bikes (big and little) and my bike of choice is the Savage.  My other bike is a 1200 Sportster (2004, 7,000 miles) , but the Savage gets rode 80% of the time, its more fun !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:23:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.