Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer (Read 785 times)
verdesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer
03/27/10 at 23:32:13

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle for recreational crusing.
I'm looking at the s40 and the rebel 250 currently.
If anyone has owned both bikes I'd welcome opinions about the differences between the two.

Basically, I'm looking for a bike that will do highway speeds, that's very easy to work on regarding valve adjustment and oil changes.
If you know of a third bike I should be looking at, please mention it.
I own a ninja 250 and it's a pain in the butt to work on and adjusting the valves is way more time consuming than I'd like it to be.

Please help, I want to be riding by summer  Cool

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer
Reply #1 - 03/27/10 at 23:49:47

100% Savage....  I haven't owned a Rebel, but I have ridden and worked on a couple...
The Rebel is anemic at highway speeds,(low 70's mph with no headwinds)... the Savage is just minimally adequate, but,... it is adequate(88mph...at least 80mph uphill with a headwind)...  
... and the Rebel has valves like toothpicks... I've seen some bent ones, and they look like you could bend them with your thumb...
It's a great beginner bike, and mpg commuter,... but, the Savage has 4 times the grunt... very capable on the highway, but not a distance highway cruiser,...
it prefers to enjoy the scenery... Wink...

Do a very simple "spark plug door" mod, and change the petcock to a Raptor ($30.00),... and the Savage is a maintenance dream...

If you feel you need more than that,... I'd recommend going to a 650 DP bike for maximum power with easier maintenance than your Ninja...  
Look for Screw adjustable valves (not bucket and shim) and air-cooling for easiest maintenance...
Hydraulic valves would be easiest, but I don't know of an air-cooled single with hydraulic valves...

Harley Sportsters have hydraulic valves, single carb, and air-cooling, but are way overweight (200lbs more than a Savage, and top heavy) and tend to be unreliable...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/28/10 at 00:11:22

The Reb weighs nearly what the Savage weighs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 03/28/10 at 05:58:36

I have owned both. Prior to my S-40 purchase last July, I owned and rode the Rebel for almost 2 years. Great beginner bike. Never left me stranded. Would recommend for a beginner.

Now for the S-40.  More zip,  better handling in the wind. Handles the hills better and I love the cornering this bike can do.

Drawback vs Rebel.. No dipstick, speedometer is on tank and not on handlebars. no trip meter. But then again more zip. I loved my Rebel but am in love with my S-40...

The S-40 allows me to keep up with hubby more as he doesn't call me "pokey" as often now.. Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 03/28/10 at 07:49:46

Highway Speeds? I wouldn't even consider a Rebel in the same league as a Savage; unless it was one of the old 450cc versions; then it might be worthy of consideration. In fact, if a reasonable priced Rebel 450 came available close to me, I don't know if I could resist trying one.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 03/28/10 at 11:10:18

I have an S40 and a 2007 Ninja 250. I have not had a 250 Rebel. I suspect you will find either the S40 or the Rebel somewhat of a disappointment after the Ninja. Valve adjustment on the Ninja is a pain, but valve adjustment on the S40 is no pleasure either. Battery replacement on the Ninja is easier. Oil and filter change is a wash. The S40 calls for retorquing the head bolts every 4000 miles, and depending on tolerances on the frame and engine this might call for removal of the engine (if you do it - few do). The brakes on the Ninja are much better. Fuel range on the Ninja nears 200 miles - the S40 is about 100 miles per tank. If you like a tach, forget either the S40 or the Rebel. Suspension on the S40 is harsh. The speedometer on the S40 is on the fuel tank, which means you have to look further down to check it, and a tank bag will cover it up anyway. The S40 has no trip meter.

With those comments, I do enjoy riding the S40. I have taken it for a couple of fairly long rides (400 mile days) and it does just fine. You do have to keep an eye on your fuel state. There are some parts of Nebraska where fuel stops are widely spaced. I have not yet ridden the Ninja that far in one day, but I will comment that the engine on the Ninja is considerably smoother.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/28/10 at 11:15:41

You mean a small twin engine is smoother than a big single,Thats surprising    Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/28/10 at 11:19:11

I started on a Reb250 and moved up to the savage as an easy step up. Savage is only about 40lbs heavier. I wish Id just started on the savage. Rebel is too weak for extended highway riding. The savage can at least keep up with all legal speeds and then some. Gas mileage isnt as good but its pretty close and the savage is more fun. They can both be had used for similar prices.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 03/28/10 at 11:21:25

Three years ago I came back into riding after a layoff of 40 years (no typo - 40 years).

I really thought I wanted a Rebel.  When I refer to Rebel, I mean the 250.  The 450s were nice in their day, but they are all ancient now and parts are getting really hard to find.

I borrowed a Rebel for a few weeks, and then I took the safety course using one for the school and the test, bacause back when I quit riding in 1968, there was no endorsement - you just needed a regular driver's license.

The S40 I own, a 2006 model, is ideal for me.  No serious freeway riding, but lots of riding on rural roads where I can easily cruise comfortably at 55 - 60, and enjoy a few twisties.

The frame size of both the Rebel and the S40 are nearly the same, as is the seat height.  The Rebel is just too anemic - the S40 has that wonderful torque when you want it in traffic or for hills.  The Rebel just doesn't measure up.

The only two advantages to the Rebel are the fact that since it has a twin cylinder engine, it's smoother at higher rpm than the thumper engine of the S40, and of course, the gas mileage is better, as some Rebel owners report upwards of 75 - 80 mpg.But other than those two areas, a Rebel isn't in the same league as an S40.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 03/28/10 at 11:27:35

I also meant to add that IMHO you don't need to do any mods at all to an S40 unless you just like to tinker.  It is a fine bike in showroom, stock form.

Mine has a windshield, and I wouldn't do without one, but that's not really a mod to me.  Mine also has a Sportster muffler put on by the previous owner, but as soon as I can find my OEM muff, in my basement with piles of other stuff, it's going back on.  I don't really like the loudness of the Sportster muff.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/28/10 at 11:47:38

s40 all the way, it's the same weight and height and size of the rebel but it's a bit faster and just as dependable and when you decide  you want a bigger bike you'll be more comfortable and able to move into a 1000 cc or more area more comfortably

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/28/10 at 12:07:41

Anyone ever screw up, leaving a stop sign & seeing something coming, closer, faster than you thought? Thats when having a bike that has some Punch can really be a good thing. Or, you can just make sure you never screw up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #12 - 03/28/10 at 12:14:14

If you know of a third bike I should be looking at, please mention it.

If you just must stay with a 250, I thought I would bring up a point about the Rebel. My 16 year old 6' tall Son looked at the Rebel and found it is too small for his long legs. We wound up with a 250 Yamaha Virago v-twin that (sorry savage riders) sets better than my savage with a great seat and leg position.
The 250 yamaha will not keep up with the savage from 0 - 60 but every time we ride, time I run up to 60 wiggle my but and feet into place and settle in he is right up with me. He never falls back on any ride below 75 mph. When I first test rode it I was shocked at how well it worked with my 200+ lbs at even interstate speeds.

All that said and with all predujuice I think a ninja rider should get the savage / s40  Grin

Bigzuk

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 03/29/10 at 08:18:19

Love my S40 and agree with all the comments above.  
But no one mentioned the best advantage...  SuzukiSavage.com!  The Rebel may have a forum too, but you won't find a better group of supportive people than right here!!

Other bikes... The Eliminator is a Kawasaki, right?  I think its 250.  And I believe Kawi also makes a 500, or at least did, the Vulcan 500, I think its nice.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
Reply #14 - 03/29/10 at 09:10:40

Charon wrote on 03/28/10 at 11:10:18:
I have an S40 and a 2007 Ninja 250. I have not had a 250 Rebel. I suspect you will find either the S40 or the Rebel somewhat of a disappointment after the Ninja. Valve adjustment on the Ninja is a pain, but valve adjustment on the S40 is no pleasure either. Battery replacement on the Ninja is easier. Oil and filter change is a wash. The S40 calls for retorquing the head bolts every 4000 miles, and depending on tolerances on the frame and engine this might call for removal of the engine (if you do it - few do). The brakes on the Ninja are much better. Fuel range on the Ninja nears 200 miles - the S40 is about 100 miles per tank. If you like a tach, forget either the S40 or the Rebel. Suspension on the S40 is harsh. The speedometer on the S40 is on the fuel tank, which means you have to look further down to check it, and a tank bag will cover it up anyway. The S40 has no trip meter.

With those comments, I do enjoy riding the S40. I have taken it for a couple of fairly long rides (400 mile days) and it does just fine. You do have to keep an eye on your fuel state. There are some parts of Nebraska where fuel stops are widely spaced. I have not yet ridden the Ninja that far in one day, but I will comment that the engine on the Ninja is considerably smoother.

S40 gets 100 miles per tank?  What moped gas tank are you using on your bike?  Tongue

I like to keep things simple..

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 vs Rebel 250 newcomer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.