Send Topic Print
recycled turn signals (Read 217 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

recycled turn signals
03/25/10 at 16:58:54

When I bought my 2004 one of the plastic rear turn signals was broken. I fixed it and broke it again. The problems are two fold; one, the things are plastic, and two, they stick out on a stalk three inches long.
As I was replacing them anyhow, I decided to gut them and rebuild them as LED's that sit flush with the fender.
The removal of the stalk took a hacksaw, some fiberglass chop, some bondo and a hollow pipe nipple. As you can see I painted them to match my bike.
The wiring took a little effort but only because I made two circuits. One is a running light and one is a brake. All wiring is enclosed in fiberglass resin, and is shock and waterproof.
On the brake circuit each light has 24 high output red LED's and one super bright white bulb.
What do you think?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: recycled turn signals
Reply #1 - 03/25/10 at 17:12:37

I think that's a heck of a lot of doin'!... but, they look terrific!.. Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 03/26/10 at 05:06:19

Looks great.  Can we see pics of them installed on your bike?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 03/26/10 at 06:55:06

Ingenuity!  Awesome!  Yes, pics please...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/08/10 at 18:32:13

serenity3743 wrote on 03/26/10 at 05:06:19:
Looks great.  Can we see pics of them installed on your bike?

Here you go!

This was shot at about noon. I set up the wiring so that the turn signals come on with the brakes. With the brake released my new "driving" light circuit only energizes 12 LED's on each side.

This image was after dark, taken from about 50 feet away with the brake locked down.

Let's see them claim that "they didn't see me" now!!!

« Last Edit: 04/08/10 at 20:40:42 by JohnBoy »  
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 04/09/10 at 05:41:49

Awesome - will you come do that to MY bike?!!    Cheesy

I've had a broken rear signal stem for 2 years - I hate that it sticks out so far.  Too un-electrical to mess with it, and the signal works so I slapped some duct tape on there and away we go.

* * Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, and a dark side and holds the universe together. * *  Cool

PS - TOTALLY LOVE the paint job!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/09/10 at 07:33:54

Very nice job. Ingenious, & like the Rowboat says, thats a Lot O doin'!

Skat, 5 minute Devcon or Locktite epoxy can help a lot. IF you have all or most of the little bits. Stear clear of Duro.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 04/09/10 at 08:54:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/09/10 at 07:33:54:
Skat, 5 minute Devcon or Locktite epoxy can help a lot. IF you have all or most of the little bits. Stear clear of Duro.

cool - thanks, will pick some up soon and give that a try.  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/09/10 at 09:17:23

If youve never messed w/ epoxy, find a flat, solid piece of something that wont soak up any of the stuff from the epoxy, plastic, glass, whatever, not cardboard. Get yourself a clean, flat stick of some sort. I use a windshield installation tool Ive had for 30 years. Mess with it some, glue a couple of things together. Before you Goo up your part on the bike, hold it in place. See what youll need to do to support it while the epoxy dries. It cant be wiggling.
Its important to
"wet" the surfaces you want to bond. Smear epoxy onto each surface, then press them together. Wipe the excess off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 04/09/10 at 12:19:24

JohnBoy, the set of lights just above your license plate are the same ones I have now.  Are you using the stock bulb in those??  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/09/10 at 15:35:06

babyhog wrote on 04/09/10 at 12:19:24:
JohnBoy, the set of lights just above your license plate are the same ones I have now.  Are you using the stock bulb in those??  

Yes they are!
Thank you so much for your post...12.00 and change on ebay and all metal!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:54:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › recycled turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.