New Front Turn Signals (Read 100 times)
DarkOmen1110
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Front Turn Signals
03/24/10 at 20:26:20

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, as well as new to the world of motorcycle repairs and customization.

I bought a pair of red LED turn signals that I would like to replace the stock turn signals. But immediately upon pulling the stock turn signal off, I encountered a problem:

The one I bought has two (2) wires: a red and a black one.
The turn signal on the bike has (3) wires: a light green one, a gray one, and a black one with a white stripe.

So I suppose my question is: how do I make three wires into two? As a reminder, please answer as if you were attempting to explain yourself to a four (4) year old.

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New Front Turn Signals
Reply #1 - 03/24/10 at 20:35:29

Front or back?

Front, ok that's 3 wire or 2 filament.  It's like 2 lites in one.
One wire turn one lite on, another turns the other lite on and the last one is the ground or the way electricity runs back to the battery.

Harley D decided to save money when he built his bike and he uses the frame instead of that 3rd wire.  So those 2 wires on the new signal are to turn the 2 lites on and the electricity run's back on the frame.

You can make a 3rd wire and hook it on the frame of the lite cause Mr. Suzuki decided to make his bikes cheap by selecting steel that rusts.  And he has to paint the metal, which isn't good for electricity.  And it can't run back to the battery very well.

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #2 - 03/24/10 at 20:40:21

I will soon have a similar question so can you explain what do do with those wires to a carpenter (not electrician) I can change a light bulb!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/24/10 at 20:41:53

A carpenter? that's easy... turn the ignition on, turn the lites on, lick both ends and stick em together.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #4 - 03/24/10 at 20:49:27

very good...and leave the third wire for the homeowner to deal with later if they find it?

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 03/24/10 at 20:53:29

Get some wire the same size as what's already there (14 gauge I think) and strip the ends.  Attach it to the new turn signal inside the case by screwing or soldering it to the metal frame.  That is your ground wire and will attach to the black and white wire on the bike.  The grey wire is your running light and the green is your turn signal on the right side.  On the left the turn signal wire is black, I think.  Hook those up to the red and black wires on the ts.  If the running light is brighter than the ts then reverse the red and black so the ts is brighter.  That should do it.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 03/25/10 at 02:54:22

Red turn signals on the front? Isn't there some law against that?

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - 03/25/10 at 06:15:46

Sorry, I missed that we were discussing the rear.  Add the same ground wire and attach it to the bike's b&w wire.  Then wire both the red and black wires to the bikes other wire, green on right and black on left.  

This is all assuming the turn signals are wired like a two filament bulb.  If they're not then just go bike's b&w to ts black and bike's green (or black) to ts red.  You won't have the option of running lights.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 03/25/10 at 06:56:21

Now I'm confused...  Red turn signals on the front of the bike, right??  (I'm not sure that is legal here)

Also, DarkOmen, LED's draw less power... someone else will have to explain what has to be done to compesate for it.  I forget what the thingy is called that needs to be added.  Otherwise, the lights will blink really fast.  What's that do-hickey called?  

There have been a few recent posts about LED's.  Look in Tech Section.  But Jef should be able to solve your wiring issue.

-----------
*Edit -- here's a thread about LED's and "Resistors"  yea, that's it!  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1169825737

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Front Turn Signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.