12V Adapter: (Read 143 times)
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
12V Adapter:
03/24/10 at 08:46:14

For S&G's I'm thinking sometime in future to make a hook-up and mount for my GPS.  That wouldn't hurt anything power-wise like my alternator would it?  I don't think it would draw current that much?

Has anyone already done this?  Any thoughts or insight?  Thanks!

I like to keep things simple..

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Re: 12V Adapter:
Reply #1 - 03/24/10 at 10:09:04

I think lots of folks have.  I know I did.  Ended up with a $5 12v adaptor from WallyWorld with a spring loaded cover, about 4' of red & black wire, some heat shrink insulation, some flexible insulated conduit, and a couple ring terminals.  Total cost was around $8-9.  Used a U-bolt to clamp it to the handle bar, and ran the conduit under the tank.  Connected the terminal ends directly to the battery.  I have been using it for a couple months and it seems to work fine.  I'll try to post some pics when I get home.

BTW, I tried creating a wooden block to mount both the adapter and the GPS to, and mounting the block to the handle bars, but it looked pretty crappy, so I pulled it and got a mount for the GPS on-line for about $15.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 03/24/10 at 10:12:22

typical GPS or cellphone charger draws 1-3 watts - insignificant.

glove heaters might be a problem.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
Reply #3 - 03/24/10 at 11:02:24

I do remember now that you posted about your gps mount and such, or someone did not too long ago.  The only thing I don't like about the mounts you can buy is the "U" ring that bolts onto the handlebars, seems like it'll scratch too easy.  I just got my 09' late last year, so I'm still anal about breathing on it the wrong way. :-P

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/24/10 at 13:39:53

my amp draws 3 amps= 36 watts..never a problem as long as i turn it off when parked/engine off

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/24/10 at 17:50:45

adj_jaker wrote on 03/24/10 at 11:02:24:
I do remember now that you posted about your gps mount and such, or someone did not too long ago.  The only thing I don't like about the mounts you can buy is the "U" ring that bolts onto the handlebars, seems like it'll scratch too easy.  I just got my 09' late last year, so I'm still anal about breathing on it the wrong way. :-P

I understand.  Mine is a '97, so it has considerable "character".  

When I did the same thing on my son's brand new Honda 750 Shadow, I cut a piece out of an old bicycle inner tube(yes, I ride them without motors too), and wrapped it around the bar under the U-bolt, so no marks.  

It isn't holding anything up, so it doesn't have to be torqued down too hard.  Just enough to keep it from flapping around in the wind.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 03/24/10 at 20:54:32

Did it on mine. Used a weatherproof 12v rv plug and ran it straight off the battery. Put an inline fuse on the + line for protection. I run a garmin gps on it with no problems. Like mentioned before, any heater application may be a problem as the bikes power output is limited.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 03/25/10 at 00:27:02

ive done this as well   to save power I converted most of my auxiliary bulbs to LED  Smiley

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
Reply #8 - 03/25/10 at 07:42:51

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input.   Cheesy

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/25/10 at 15:10:10

OK, I got some pics of both the mount on my Savage and my son's Honda.  The Savage mount is from the first change after the wood block, when I had it mounted with zip ties rather than the U-bolt(they also won't leave any marks.  The tape measure is from my checking the size of the gap under the windshield

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 12V Adapter:

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.