Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike too small for a guy? (Read 269 times)
koolaid5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike too small for a guy?
03/23/10 at 17:11:09

Hello,  I'm new to the forum and looking at possibly buying an '86 savage.  It looks to be in good condition and just needs a carb rebuild, which is no big deal.  I can get it for $675 delivered to my door, so part of me thinks.....who cares WHAT bike it is.  That is cheap....snag it NOW!  Then again I'm a bit worried that I'll be cramped and awkward (more than usual) when riding this bike.  I'm 5'11"  Is it too small for me?  

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to post up pics of what you have with you on it to HOPEFULLY prove me wrong.

I'm not worried about the motor not having enough power.  I'll just be putting around on this thing back and forth to work.  I have the gsxr 1100 for the power Cheesy

I'm also thinking of turning this thing into a bobber eventually, so how many of you have done things like....  moved the controls even further forward, put on either ape hangers or drag bars, and either moved the seat back and/or stretched the frame????

PICS and advice please.  Thanks

Matt

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Bike too small for a guy?
Reply #1 - 03/23/10 at 17:37:05

I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs.

I have a savage and a sportster,  ....  The savage gets 3 times the use the harley does .

The Harley is a 2004 (6,000 miles) , the Savage(36,000 miles) bought it in 2004 with 3,500 miles, its a 96 modle, but its FUN !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
koolaid5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/23/10 at 17:39:28

MMRanch wrote on 03/23/10 at 17:37:05:
I'm 5'11" and 190 lbs.

I have a savage and a sportster,  ....  The savage gets 3 times the use the harley does .

The Harley is a 2004 (6,000 miles) , the Savage(36,000 miles) is a 96 modle, but its FUN !

awesome.....thanks for the info.  How about some pics?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 03/23/10 at 17:50:05

I posted a picture on bikepic 3 or 4 years ago ,.... I'll look for it .

Its yellow, harley sportster crashbar (1993modle size) , Floorboards, Seats off a Harley Soft tail, med size memphis windshield, 155/80-15 Goodyear GT radial rear tire, saddlebags and rear box to match (studded), Sportster muffler, and cargo net behind the windshield (2 small bags of grocerys).

I couldn't like it more !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/23/10 at 18:02:04

Lots of pics of riders and rides here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257442512

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
siriusjoe

Chicago, IL
Reply #5 - 03/23/10 at 18:10:20

koolaid5 wrote on 03/23/10 at 17:11:09:
I'm 5'11"  Is it too small for me?  

The Savage is a relatively small bike.  My wife is 5'3" with a 29 inch inseam and she can flat-foot it with room to spare.  At 5'11", you'll probably want forward controls if you're going to ride for extended periods.

koolaid5 wrote on 03/23/10 at 17:11:09:
I'm not worried about the motor not having enough power.  I'll just be putting around on this thing back and forth to work.  

Don't underestimate it.  The Savage has plenty of get up and go.  Wink

Joe

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/23/10 at 18:29:31

I'm 6' and quite a few are as tall or taller.
if you are used to your feet being under you, now they're out front and abit more stretched out.  if you're used to them being stretched out, you'll be cramped a bit.
most likely it will come with the buck horns, go get some new bars and you'll be happy.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 03/23/10 at 18:34:25

I am six foot and trying not to be 300 pounds.  I have the buckhorns and I like them.  I did get a set of forward controls from Ed L here on the forum and they make a big difference.  I read about a couple of other big guys on here as well.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/23/10 at 18:34:58

The Savage is ten pounds of fun in a five pound bag. And the cool thing is you can make it fit you. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, I've had three since 1988. I pull a trailer with mine. Make it yours! Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
koolaid5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/23/10 at 19:49:55

wow....thanks for the quick replies guys.  

I AM used to my pegs being back further.  I have only ever ridden sportbikes.  I rented a harley for a few days about 2 years ago and it felt WEIRD having my feet forward.  I had a nightrod for 2 days and a street bob for two more.  

Anyway....  here are some pics of the bike that I'm thinking of acquiring.

IP Logged
koolaid5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/23/10 at 19:54:04

a little trouble with the pics....  let's try this again....

I'm not sure that sissy bar will last too long  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 03/23/10 at 20:43:53

befor the floorboards and latest paint changes

jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Reply #12 - 03/23/10 at 20:44:52

I'm 6'1" and 270 LBS I am going to order the fwd controlls this week but I Fell in LOVE with this bike. I felt the same as you do when I first got it and now I have soooo much fun I wouldnt trade it for the world! plenty of fun to work on and plenty of pepp. I ride about 40 miles of freeway and 10 miles in town every day back and forth to work and have NO problems. The freeways here are 75mph and I keep up and pass traffic fine.

My recomendation.....buy it or give me the number and I will.....LOL Grin

IP Logged
koolaid5
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/23/10 at 20:50:27

jlsmedic wrote on 03/23/10 at 20:44:52:
I'm 6'1" and 270 LBS I am going to order the fwd controlls this week but I Fell in LOVE with this bike. I felt the same as you do when I first got it and now I have soooo much fun I wouldnt trade it for the world! plenty of fun to work on and plenty of pepp. I ride about 40 miles of freeway and 10 miles in town every day back and forth to work and have NO problems. The freeways here are 75mph and I keep up and pass traffic fine.

My recomendation.....buy it or give me the number and I will.....LOL Grin

Where are you getting the forward controls from and how much are they?

IP Logged
jlsmedic

LIVE HARD RIDE
HARD.....LIVE YOUR
LIFE

Red Rock, AZ
Reply #14 - 03/23/10 at 21:01:45

ED L. on this forum makes them out of billet aluminum and the look awesome and he has a mod kit that will include everything you need to move your stuff. Not shure as what his price is but MUCH cheaper than you could find at any store. search the forum for  forward controls and you'll find them. everybody who's gotten them have been estatic about the fit!

Josh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:13:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike too small for a guy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.