Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this the wrong brake light switch? (Read 118 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Is this the wrong brake light switch?
03/23/10 at 12:53:50

I just received the front lever brake light switch for my '87. Haven't gone in there yet, but am reading conflicting part numbers for this switch. I ordered it for my year, obviously.

Anyone know if this is the wrong switch for an '87? Would like to know before I rip the bag open. Have off tomorrow and was going to install it, along with some other minor repairs.

FSO
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Is this the wrong brake light switch?
Reply #1 - 03/23/10 at 13:24:07

Joe, that looks nothing like the switch on my '87's front brake lever.  

Here is what mine looks like: http://www.bikebandit.com/1987-suzuki-motorcycle-ls650ph-savage-p/o/m6323

I had to replace part 8, it was completely gone.  That lead to the wires being broken on the plate between 8 & 9 at the end of the wire.

When I typed your part number into the bikebandit page I got nothing matching for the savage, but there were several others bikes that thing fit, all switch assy, stop.

Not sure what to tell you other than that was not what I put on my bike and I wouldn't know how to make it fit.

Hope that helps!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 03/23/10 at 15:37:56

Thanks Mike. Seems like I have the wrong part. I'll go in there tomorrow and take a look. From what you're describing, it seems that I'll be able to see broken parts. Inspection coming up soon, need the lever to activate the brake light or fail. Well, it wold be nice if it worked anyway Wink.

Thanks again Mike, your answer helped!

FSO
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #3 - 03/23/10 at 16:03:46

There are two different types of switches.  Don't return this one 'til you check under the lever.  The other type is much smaller, they can't be confused.

I have the smaller one on my '86.  It was not working but came back when I switched handlebars so I guess it just needed some wiggling.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 03/23/10 at 16:39:55

I would check it out first.  My part 8 was not broken, it was gone.  I cannot imagine how that happened unless someone took the thing apart and simply lost it.  Warning, it was a little piece, maybe as big as a pecil eraser, if you take it apart in the grass or on the rocks, it might be gone forever. Sad

I had two screws, 10 holding 9 on.  Having to do it upside down did not help much either.  I tried to engineer a part, since I had much trouble getting the part from a local guy, but I really did not know what I was missing, so that complicated things.  It was only a couple of bucks and I got it shipped to the house from a dealer in the next town.  I would hate to pay $15 shipping for a $3 part, but you got to do what you got to do.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 03/24/10 at 06:19:48

Joe, that is identical to the switch on the FireLizard which is a 2000.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 03/24/10 at 10:19:23

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 03/24/10 at 06:19:48:
Joe, that is identical to the switch on the FireLizard which is a 2000.

Thanks Yonuh. Yeah, website was wrong, looks I have the wrong part. The levers changed in '95.
I think I need this little kit here:

FSO
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 03/24/10 at 12:00:59

Hey Joe,

Just thought I'd let you know, that I found the old model switch like yours to be such a PITA on my 1987 model; that I changed my front brake master cylinder to the new type so I could use that newer switch. Life is much easier, and the switch will be an easy replace when needed in the future; but it is a bit expensive. I finally ended up paying like $35 for a working master cylinder with an included working switch (used parts of course).

Regards,
John

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 03/24/10 at 12:45:44

An idea I may consider in the future John.

I took the switch apart and all of the little parts crumbled to the ground. Found everything but the little spring, which was probably not worth a krap anyway. What a mess. Ordered the kit that I just posted a picture of, I'll see how that works.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 08:37:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this the wrong brake light switch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.