Engine replacement (Read 175 times)
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Engine replacement
03/23/10 at 09:48:18

About a year ago I posted that my father's savage needed an engine replacement as per the local shop. I was able to get a picture of the what the issue is, the link is below. In the picture there are teeth missing on the gear. Would this require a full engine replacement? Also, the bike is an 86 or 87 I believe. What engine years would work with this bike?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48731616@N08/4456999057/

Thanks

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Engine replacement
Reply #1 - 03/23/10 at 11:05:59

Maybe the shop was saying they didn't own a rotor puller and after shop hourly rate and cost of rotor puller thingy plus the electric starter and ring gear and the little gears the combined parts cost and the terrible terrible screwing they planned to give you, well you could buy a motor cheaper.

(and they just happened to have a motor to sell you)

The older engines like yours had issues with this ring gear and engine kickback causing damage to the starter and starter gears, which might also go into their recommendation your dad to get a more modern engine.

Add up all the parts and likely you can get a used engine about as cheap.

Just remember to get the black box and the wiring harness with the new 5 speed engine -- ask for it as a condition of sale.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
FrankieB
YaBB Newbies

Finally figured out
how to change this
stupid text

Reply #2 - 03/24/10 at 12:26:12

Thanks for the info. So you're saying if I get a newer model engine I would need the black box and wiring harness?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/24/10 at 12:46:55

Older harness is compatible with newer engine, I think all years have the same connectors.
CDI should be purchased with engine for least trouble.
check number of wires on generator connector, should match, only a few don't.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 03/24/10 at 13:08:05

Just what the guys have said plus added comments: No, if the ONLY damage is the gear on the flywheel/magneto rotor, that does not make an engine swap necessary.

However, there is usually other damage done when those starter/gear/clutch things go wrong in the older model Savages. And you MUST use the right kind of puller to pull that rotor, or you WILL damage internal engine parts. All added up; sometimes it is a better play to get a late model (95+) engine along with it's CDI ignition unit and replace it all. Just depends on how much money/time and tools you want to throw at it.

May be cheaper/easier to part out the old bike or sell as-is, and buy a later model one with low mileage. There is no shortage of people interested in parts, and also later model Savage/S-40 aren't that hard to find (although the problem there is, they're usually not in your neighborhood).  

Unless you have an attachment to the bike because of it being "dad's" it's kind of a toss-up. I know, I've been there... decisions, decisions...  Wink

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 03/26/10 at 11:32:09

I'm currently working on getting a '96 engine into my '86.  I got the new engine and cdi this morning and checked the connection to my harness.  No go. Similar but different.  I'll be replacing the harness too, I guess.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/26/10 at 11:34:36

If its an engine swap that happens, I sure hope you do it yourself. The cost of tools will be low compared to the cost of paying to have it done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 03/29/10 at 05:06:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/26/10 at 11:34:36:
If its an engine swap that happens, I sure hope you do it yourself. The cost of tools will be low compared to the cost of paying to have it done.

My engine replacement project was much easier than all the time, effort, parts, and sweat that I put into an attempted overhaul. Wink

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.