Send Topic Print
baffle installation (Read 162 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
baffle installation
03/21/10 at 17:52:30

Can someone explain to me where to install a baffle in a straight pipe.
I purchased a chrome pipe that fits the header exactly. It is really to loud for me and I want to install a baffle, but I'm not sure where to locate the baffle in the pipe. Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.
Jimmer

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: baffle installation
Reply #1 - 03/21/10 at 22:52:34

Don't know why,.. but they always seem to go near the end...
For cosmetic reasons,... maybe an inch in from the end...
It might have to do with not wanting to recreate a pulse wave at the end of the pipe...

Just my thoughts,... and also to give you a bump, since there have been no other responses yet... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #2 - 03/22/10 at 07:13:51

Thanks Serowbot that's what I thought. Anyone else have a ideas, spit them out.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #3 - 03/22/10 at 07:45:46

I think Diamond Jim put his towards the front of the pipe.  I don't recall the reasoning behind it though. Lancer talks about it below...

« Last Edit: 03/22/10 at 09:18:13 by Moofed »  

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 03/22/10 at 07:55:15

I am BAFFELED by the whole thing! Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #5 - 03/22/10 at 08:20:54

preachermike
Nice to see there is humor in everyday things, Quite catching. Take care and ride safe.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 03/22/10 at 08:33:40

As far as performance, a straight pipe works really well at only one engine speed. Adding a baffle will probably change that speed. The only thing a straight pipe has going for it, on the street, is its look. For street use a straight pipe is perhaps your worst choice.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 03/22/10 at 08:42:23

A tuned muffler will give you a wide power band.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 03/22/10 at 08:46:54

"Tuned muffler" and "wide power band" are mutually exclusive. "Tuned muffler" implies that it is tuned for one specific speed. "Wide power band" implies that it is essentially untuned, or in electronic terms broadband and will work reasonably well over a wide range of speeds. "Tuned" is what you want for racing; "Wide power band" is what you want for the street.

Sorry, Bill.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 03/22/10 at 08:50:16

A tuned muffler can be tuned for a wide power band.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 03/22/10 at 09:04:34

Moofed wrote on 03/22/10 at 07:45:46:
I think Diamond Jim put his towards the front of the pipe.  I don't recall the reasoning behind it though.

My son and I just picked up Diamond Jim's (Russ) bike this weekend.
This was my sons purchase.  2006 S40 with just 2300+ miles.  Looks and runs better than a brand new stock bike.  Dyno test confirmed 33 hp with 36 lb torque.
It is a strickingly beautiful bike and for my taste is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SAVAGE or S40  I have ever seen.  The lines of the bike flow like a piece of art and is exceptional in its look of simplicity.   Every mod done is with virtual perfection; totally professional quality.  It does have a straight pipe but it is a bit longer than most which adds volume to the pipe (ie muffler volume) and it also has a baffle in the end of the pipe.  The baffle design chosen was done so after numerous tests for the right sound and performance.  I do not know the exact form of the baffle but I am sure he would be happy to bring it up for folks to see.  The sound of the exhaust is just right.  It is low, mellow and strong without any harshness at all.  It does not backfire, hesitate or surge.  Jetting/tuning  are spot on.
This was the first time Jim and I met face to face but we have known each other here for a couple years at least I believe.
You can not meet a nicer guy.  He was most gracious and generous with assorted parts not on the bike or even from a LS650...just extra stuff.
We had a great visit with him while loading the bike, maybe 2-3 hours is all we had, but it was time well spent.
Thank you Russ.

My son is in his garage today with Mcguires polish/wax & chrome cleaner to clean  it up from the torrential rain we went through on the way home last night.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/22/10 at 09:05:58

Wouldnt it be cool to be able to put a baffle in that could be moved in & out? Or maybe 3 or 4 baffles, each on its own axle, able to rotate each to be across the diameter or in line w/ the pipe or any setting in between.. Ohhhh I can see it now!
The Supertrapp is "tunable" in that the number of baffles can be changed, making it more or less resistive to air flow, making it tunable/easily matched to jetting.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/22/10 at 10:40:05

When I was 14 & had my Honda 90, I swiped one of the vauum cleaner extentions. Back then they were chrome steel pipes & the perfect size for a straight pipe for my bike. Since I had to be able to ride it in a resticted community, I installed a moveable baffle called a "Snuff or Not". It looked like a lolli-pop, a large washer with a flat stem. You installed it by drilling one hole for the stem, then you put on a flat square 'washer' with a slot for the stem & the corners bent down to index it to the pipe. Then a spring & knob held by a captive pin. With a simple twist you went from baffled to straight. Simple & worked great. No  reason you couldn't put more than one in a pipe if you needed to. Cool

If I ran a straight pipe I would use this now. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #13 - 03/22/10 at 11:04:52

Lancer
Are you saying the baffle is in the discharge end of the pipe not on the header end.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #14 - 03/22/10 at 12:02:29

This is probably what Lancer is talking about.  I was thinking of this other exhaust.  Apparently it makes for nice sound.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 13:20:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › baffle installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.