Send Topic Print
drag bars (Read 246 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
drag bars
03/20/10 at 22:40:01

anyone got a good model drag bar i should look into. i want to replace my bars but not sure if i should go with the low mount drag bars or the ones on risers. opinions and links appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: drag bars
Reply #1 - 03/20/10 at 23:11:55

drag bars on the low risers will hit the tank.
you need at least 2" rise.
I got a set of z bars on mine that work great as low bars w/o risers.

« Last Edit: 06/02/10 at 07:09:47 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 03/21/10 at 09:54:45

If the stock risers on the S40 were any lower, the drag bars would hit the tank.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 03/22/10 at 12:32:04

i have shorty risers and the are less than two inches, if you want that look youre gonna have to weld a small tab on the frame by the lower triple clamp to keep the bars from hitting the tank...
sorry if this is unclear i will try and get a pic up tonight... i am not very high tech and i dont know the correct name for that part of my bike... im just a chick who is trying to make my savage a bobber

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
funridetohell gasmaskfuturexx   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #4 - 03/22/10 at 21:04:09

that's good info although i dont think i'm gonna be welding anything. i wish i had the means to mess around that much but i'm poor on time and money. what part of houston are you from? i was born and raised there but got down to corpus as soon as i could leave the house..joined the army later and went to ft. hood and now in el paso at ft. bliss. even the army can't get me out of texas...i like that

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 03/23/10 at 02:07:02

My dad was stationed at Ft. Bliss way back when.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 03/23/10 at 13:28:19

i live in the heights... i used to be stationed at ft sam... i bought a welder and some other tools as a gift for an ex boyfriend and thankfully he dumped me before i gave them too him so i learned how to use the thing myself, now i love it.

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #7 - 03/24/10 at 20:48:09

so i guess am still a little confused or slow...can i put drag bars or straight bars onto the existing bar mounts? it looks like they will be high enough and i have seen pics of others that look lower. btw 02 savage.

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 03/24/10 at 21:01:30

When I got my bike it had '86 style drag bars with no risers.  It looked really cool but had dents in both front corners of the tank where the controls banged it.  The bars cleared but the controls didn't.  I'm pretty sure you could put straight "broomstick" style bars on with no issues.  But I couldn't find anyway to use the drag bars and no risers without endangering the tank.  I switched to clubman bars just to try something different.  I kept them clear of the tank by rotating them forward til I had the needed space.

IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 03/24/10 at 22:59:03

draG bars will work if you weld an extender on the fork tube to keep the controls from hitting the tank...i'll take a pic of mine but not when im this drunk.... i just welded a tiny piece of scrap on the bottom protion of my fork tube... its totally awesome a little black paint and now one will ever know

Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #10 - 03/24/10 at 23:14:42

I'm running a Sporter Style drag bar with the stock risers, it does not hit the tank.   However, the bar has 2" of rise in it.  I'll update this post with a pic ASAP.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #11 - 03/25/10 at 03:02:02

my oldest brother was in the Marines (as well as myself and my other brother). He was stationed at Ft Bliss in the late 70's. He hated it so much there that he put in for a transfer every week until after a couple years they finally gave him his transfer, to Yuma, Arizona. He hated that even worse. he joined to do some traveling and that was all he got. my other brother and myself were traveling all over the world and he was stuck in the desert. Poor guy. But in all honesty, he would have been miserable no matter where he got stationed. Thats just the way he is.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drag bars