Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How To Clean Rust Out A Motorcycle Gas Tank (Read 442 times)
metricman
YaBB Newbies

Be your own man

How To Clean Rust Out A Motorcycle Gas Tank
03/20/10 at 17:47:34

Step1
Remove the tank from the motorcycle, if necessary. Refer to the owner's manual on how to do this if you have one, if not, you can apply these basic techniques: Unhook any gas lines, or vacuum lines, depending on the brand of motorcycle. Some motorcycles are equipped with fuel valves on the gas tank. If yours has one, you'll need to remove it. Also remove the low fuel sensor, if your motorcycle has one.
Step2
Block all of the holes in the motorcycle tank. You can use a short piece of hose clamped onto the fittings on the tank, and closed off at the end with a bolt.
Step3
Dump the bag of BB's into the motorcycle gas tank and add the 1/2 gallon of diesel fuel. Shake the tank vigorously. The BB's will knock the rust, or any other debris, free and the diesel fuel will keep the particles suspended so that they will dump out.
Step4
Open the gas tank cap and look inside the tank. If it's not clean enough to suit you, resume shaking until the rust is removed to your satisfaction.
Step5
Pour out the diesel fuel and BB mixture. Shake the tank to make sure you have removed all of the BBs. Flush the inside of the tank out thoroughly with gasoline to remove all traces of the diesel fuel. Your tank should now be rust free and ready to put back on the motorcycle.

Things You'll Need:
Small bag of BB's
1/2 gallon diesel fuel
Gasoline

A biker shouldn’t be defined by the motorcycle he/she rides, but by the passion they have for it.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice..lol
  IP Logged
kickstartmyheart
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Re: How To Clean Rust Out A Motorcycle Gas Tank
Reply #1 - 03/22/10 at 12:02:58

When i get a rusty tank on a project  i pull the tank remove all lines and go to the paint store and get some DX579 mix about 20% DX579 and 80% water dump it in the tank and add any amount of drywall screws (since they are magnetic and can be removed easily) shake this around usually and hour of shakin with a few smoking breaks and a cold beer will do the trick once you get the rust out rinse with water... make sure you get the inside of the tank dry after rinsing... a hair dryer on low will do the trick. some flash rusting will appear but dont worry get some JEM from the hardware store and put some in the tank and make sure you get it all over the inside and dump out the excess once it drys you shouldnt have any more rust

dx579 can be found at any paint store that sells PPG paint for around 19.00  and JEM can be found at any hardware store.... good luck

05 Savage 14,000k Straight pipe, re-jetted, K&N filter, shorty risers, home depot tail light, homemade license bracket, no turn indicators, had a mirror once but it rattled off.
funridetohell gasmaskfuturexx   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/10 at 12:45:03

Here is a lot of discussion on this subject:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267929971

IP Logged
SURAZAL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ALBANY NY
Reply #3 - 03/31/10 at 12:52:44

The lazy way bought a used rusty tank for $10 took every thing off and taped over the holes and put in 2 cups of very corse sand taped that over wrapped in up in a blanket I use in the car and cord tied it in place ... put it in the dry on air dry for 30 mns ... making sure it was tightly stuffed with a 2nd blanket ... went and had a nice cold one ... that baby came out as clean as a new for the cost of scrap sand ...

IP Logged
thabrock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tulsa
Reply #4 - 11/13/12 at 06:49:12

I used tap water and bagged ice from the store.  I went through 3 bags doing this.

The first tankful looked like a red sludge.  It was easy to flush out with the garden hose.

I soaked the tank with distilled vinegar for 3 days after just to get it all.

I know I know, water???  Ice???  but it worked and was clean and easy.

I have a 97 Cafe Savage (mod) AND a 2006 S40Boulavard Stock.
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 11/14/12 at 09:44:56

EVAPORUST & POR-15 do it once and be done.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 11/24/12 at 18:38:30

I did a tank reconditioning write-up a while back for the Marauder group.  Still applies, mostly.  Check it out here... http://www.spacerjim.com/Fuel_System_Hygene.txt

Ignore the typos, and sarcasm.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 11/26/12 at 13:02:59

houstonbofh wrote on 11/24/12 at 18:38:30:
I did a tank reconditioning write-up a while back for the Marauder group.  Still applies, mostly.  Check it out here... http://www.spacerjim.com/Fuel_System_Hygene.txt

Ignore the typos, and sarcasm.

Do not use Muratic Acid in your tank as this article suggests.....Muratic Acid causes the metal to become brittle (I believe it is hydrogen embrittlement).  You can use Phosphoric Acid in steel tanks safely.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 19:47:35

You are correct, but it will only effect the surface.  You are not soaking the entire piece, only the surface and only for a very short time.  Essentially it will only dissolve the oxidised metal (rust), and then be removed.  Hence the instructions to use LOTS of water, and WD40.

But Phosphoric Acid may work, it just takes longer and more of it.  It is also known as Naval Jelly, "Behr Concrete Rust Stain Remover," "Kitchen Kleen Lime Gone," and Kano Labs ExRust.  (Check ingrediants before purchase in case they change them...)  The Naval Jelly will be harder to remove.

However, and this is a big "However..."  It does not remove rust, it converts it to black ferric phosphate. I do not know the effects of ferric phosphate to the fuel system.  And no one knows how it will react to whatever they decide to put in the fuel next year...  This is also why i do not use coatings like Kream.  The Muriatic acid will just leave bare metal.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 11/28/12 at 07:21:11

houstonbofh wrote on 11/27/12 at 19:47:35:
You are correct, but it will only effect the surface.  You are not soaking the entire piece, only the surface and only for a very short time.  Essentially it will only dissolve the oxidised metal (rust), and then be removed.  Hence the instructions to use LOTS of water, and WD40.

But Phosphoric Acid may work, it just takes longer and more of it.  It is also known as Naval Jelly, "Behr Concrete Rust Stain Remover," "Kitchen Kleen Lime Gone," and Kano Labs ExRust.  (Check ingrediants before purchase in case they change them...)  The Naval Jelly will be harder to remove.

However, and this is a big "However..."  It does not remove rust, it converts it to black ferric phosphate. I do not know the effects of ferric phosphate to the fuel system.  And no one knows how it will react to whatever they decide to put in the fuel next year...  This is also why i do not use coatings like Kream.  The Muriatic acid will just leave bare metal.

Isn't muriatic acid one of those chemicals that requires extreme care in it's use?  I seem to remember some comments in other threads about how dangerous it is.  Effective, yes, but much more damaging than naval jelly if mishandled.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 11/28/12 at 07:25:53

I have moved this topic from the Tech Section to the Rubber Side Down.  The Tech Section is reserved for proven repair methods and this one seems to be open for debate and is not really a "HOW TO" that is universally agreed upon.  My own experience along this line began with putting drywall screws in the rusty tanks and shaking like mad......and you would be surprised how many drywall screws can get lodged into the narrow seams of the tank....and how long it takes to fish them out with a wire or magnet.

Later I tried Muratic Acid on a few tanks and it worked OK.......but it is not advisable to do this on a tank that has nice paint you want to keep.  Muratic acid is a very strong acid, it is used for cleaning the slopped mortar and stains off brick.  It comes in a gallon jug sealed in a plastic bag....and it is very concentrated.  It is darn nasty and should not be breathed or spilled.....however it is readily available at hardware stores.

Later I found out that Phosporic Acid is a better product for cleaning sheet metal.  Most metal prep products that are used to etch metal prior to painting are some form of Phosporic Acid.  It still can be harmful to paint.

My most recent find are products like Evaporust that dissolve rust and are completely safe to paint and your hands.  This product makes the rust fall off the steel and works great - but it is more expensive than the acids.  It can be used over and over until it wears out....then you can just throw it in your yard as it is a good fertilizer.

I also believe that once you have cleaned the tank - it is time to seal it to prevent future rust.  I have tried Kreem, Eastwoods product and now POR15 is my sealer of choice as it covers better and makes a nice steely grey tank color.....instead of a chalky white tank interior that the other products have.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/28/12 at 08:50:27

The inside of my honda tank was coated, if I had done it or knew exactly what it was, I'd recommend it.  That tank sat for 20 odd years and as far as I can tell, it's 100% good as new.

as far as the muriatic acid is concerned, wiki states that it's used to "pickle" steel.  so I'd expect there's not an issue with using it to de-rust a plain steel tank.  But don't use any chlorinated product on any stainless steel as it will cause hydrogen embrittlement.

What I would be concerned with, as well as any acid, is completely removing it from the tank after you're done.  The type of welds that are used in our tank would perclude it from this use in my world.  For this reason, I'd preferr evaporust.  It can be left on the surface as a protectorant.  So if it's sealed in a seam, no big deal.

muriatic acid is used to clean pools nation wide.  while safe handling is a must, not rocket science.  rubber gloves, plenty of ventilation, rinse with plenty of water.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 11/28/12 at 09:45:49

IF,, thats an IF there,, If my chemistry is right, when Ospho ( Phosphoric dilute) hits iron oxide, it spends its acidity when it turns the oxide to a phosphate. What little would be left in the tank should be rinsed out with plain water & the tank left to dry.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 11/28/12 at 10:28:25

Just as information, "muriatic acid" is also known as "hydrochloric acid."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 11/28/12 at 10:34:56

I was wrong.....or I just remembered wrong.

The product I used was Rusteco to remove rust from the tank of an old MG, and several motorcycle tanks.  It worked great.
http://www.rusteco.com/

I believe Evaporust is probably very similar:
http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html#Anchor_buy

And Zep is supposed to make a good product:
http://www.apmengineparts.com/m99535.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:34:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How To Clean Rust Out A Motorcycle Gas Tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.