Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brighter headlight bulb????? (Read 747 times)
haulback
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, British Columbia, C
Brighter headlight bulb?????
03/20/10 at 00:52:45

OK, I know it's in there somewhere...but can I find it????

I would like to replace my (stock) headlight bulb with a drop-in - but brighter - replacement. Probably not a bad idea to do the same to tail, brake and signal lamps as well.

Does anyone have handy  a manufacturer and part #'s of bulbs to do this ???  

Any chance using a halogen bulb, or does it use too much juice/develop too much heat?

Many thanks......

IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: Brighter headlight bulb?????
Reply #1 - 03/20/10 at 01:57:47

what you want is a H4 philips motovision headlight bulb

they are very bright but also have a slight orange tint (still road legal), to make you stand out in traffic

i have converted every other bulb apart from the indicators to high intensity LED clusters. they use a tiny amount of power compared to conventional bulbs and (the good quality ones) emit 70%+ more light (confirmed with a light meter)

for a serious upgrade i would swap the whole headlight for a 7" round

do these bike use a relay system for the headlights?  if not im adding some to reduce wasted power going to the bulb to make it brighter.

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/20/10 at 01:59:53

sylvania silver light or something will also do. I have one I bought on a gas station in US, does great.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/20/10 at 06:55:45

H-4 Silverstar halogen bulb can be bought at any auto parts store or at Walmart.

Low beam is a noticeable enough improvement, but hi beam is a blast -- lights the road up far enough ahead to ride at speed at night.  Silverstar is good enough on high beam to let you see a trace of color even -- and that is something no motorcycle headlight has ever done for me before.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #4 - 03/20/10 at 07:52:00

Last year I bought H4 bulbs from www.eurodezigns.com on e-bay they are 8500 HID.  VERY BRIGHT

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/20/10 at 19:18:42

What about the wattage of the bulbs? What are people using. I hate riding at night being a bit near-sighted. A brighter bulb would help, but I held off because of the increased heat. What is good? Undecided

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #6 - 03/20/10 at 20:37:40

I am running a silverstar 9003 it lights up the night.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/21/10 at 00:24:49

I use silverstar. There 4 levels of the silver stars. The highest (and most expensive) is very bright, very crisp, and carries much much further than stock. I used those for a year and stopped because HI would burn out after a couple months. I was in the habit of driving high beam all day though. Being unsure whether the short life span was because of the bulb or because i ran HI most of the time I stopped both. I went one step down on the silverstar list and stopped running HI all the time. Still way better than stock and I havent had a bulb burn out in the last year.
Now the aftermarket light I had for my Rebel... That thing was a light CANNON. Even low beam lit up everything. High beam was only for pissing people off. Been considering modding another to the savage as a matter of fact.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 03/21/10 at 06:24:48

Jabman quote:
do these bike use a relay system for the headlights?  if not im adding some to reduce wasted power going to the bulb to make it brighter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you explain how a relay in the system uses less current?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #9 - 03/21/10 at 09:21:27

well with my previous bike, which had no relay for the headlight, there was a 0.5 volt drop between the voltage on the battery terminals and the contacts on the bulb.

To solve this I added 2 relays (one for main + one for dipped beam) connected with thick wires straight off the battery, so the handle bar switch now controlled these relays.

After this there was no voltage drop at all between the terminals on the battery and the terminals on the bulb housing.  Cool

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/21/10 at 10:39:05

Silverstar, that's the one!

Voltage drop = corroded switch on the handlebars. Due to rain and elements. Dam, that's a good idea! I'd never thought of that.

Realistically, jabman, have you been able to see the difference??

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #11 - 03/21/10 at 11:11:22

with that bulb, those relays and a classic cibie 'H' beam headlight unit i had a wickedly bright headlight.

when i get the time i will do the same to this bike (cam chain, engine and carb keeping me busy)

i will see if there is any voltage drop between the battery and headlight to see if its worthwhile adding relays

i have twin spotlights fitted at the moment (2x25w bulbs to keep the charging system happy) and will set them up using relays to come on with the parking lights but off with dipped and main beam, to use as day running lights.  Smiley

IP Logged
GT61 TURBO ZX14

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #12 - 01/31/18 at 19:30:42

What do you think of these Check this out at Amazon.com
H4 9003 HB2 LED Headlight Bulbs 20000LM 200W 6000K Cool White High Low Dual Beam 360 Degree 4 Side COB Chips Super Bright All-in-One Auto Headlamps Conversion Kit Plug & Play – 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LCHS6C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_1LOCAbT2TF3AG

Out of all the things I treasure most my mind is what I miss the most.
  IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #13 - 01/31/18 at 19:50:37

GT61 TURBO ZX14 wrote on 01/31/18 at 19:30:42:
What do you think of these Check this out at Amazon.com
H4 9003 HB2 LED Headlight Bulbs 20000LM 200W 6000K Cool White High Low Dual Beam 360 Degree 4 Side COB Chips Super Bright All-in-One Auto Headlamps Conversion Kit Plug & Play – 2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LCHS6C/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_1LOCAbT2TF3AG

I've been looking at LED replacement bulbs. The problem is that the LED elements need to be in the exact same location when mounted as say a halogen bulbs bright spot would be. If not the reflection pattern is all cattywumpus and can be less effective than a regular type bulb. It's a crap shoot. Check out Youtube for motorcycle LED headlight bulbs and you will find mixed reviews.

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #14 - 01/31/18 at 20:04:02

You are new so you missed it, ''THE HEADLIGHT BULB WARS''
Dave did a LOT of trails with H4 bulbs in the stock housing, and found no real great swap.
If you want more light go with a ''Daymaker'' led bulb in a new housing/bucket. More light, whiter light, and less watts. I have one for 2 years now, 40k miles, I'll never go back.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brighter headlight bulb?????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.