Send Topic Print
Gas Tank Removal help (Read 1576 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gas Tank Removal help
Reply #15 - 03/31/10 at 07:06:32

& remember to blow the dirt out of the hole before pulling the plug.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #16 - 04/12/10 at 21:15:44

Yeah, my first post.

I've been reading this forum since I purchased my '07 LS650 a couple of months ago.

I did the sparkplug mod yesterday.

I also cut out a 10mm square notch from the inside front corner of the cover, as it kept stopping when being swung open.

I was lucky enough that the tank lifted up pretty easily (I had disconnected the vapor line & fuel line) and I jiggled the tank to the left until the petcock was clear then just put the tank back on top of the frame.
Not sure why people have needed to disconnect the speedo cable? (guess older models have slightly different setups.)

That left more than enough clearance to get at the plug and remove the rear cover bolt for the mod.

Getting the tank back in place however did take about 10mins of jiggling and swearing to get back into place.

And after doing all this, my tool kit that was in the bike when I purchased it, did not have the sparkplug socket.  Got one arriving tomorrow morning (11/16" deep socket from powerbuilt)

Thanks to all the experienced members who post these great tips.
I am totally inept at mechanics, but even I reckon I can do most of the mods I've seen here thanks to the pictures.  Pity most of the threads have had the pictures removed, but I saw a post someone mentioned about the forum hosts limitations, and habit of moving/removing parts of the forum at whim, so if I really need pictures to grasp a particular concept, I will ask.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/12/10 at 21:35:43

does 11/16 = 18 mm???

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/12/10 at 22:28:22

LostArtist wrote on 04/12/10 at 21:35:43:
does 11/16 = 18 mm???

18mm = .709"
11/16" = 17.46mm

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #19 - 04/13/10 at 08:01:53

i replaced my flasher relay(right side under tank) with a big ol' electrical one, so if u think gettin the tank off now is a pain, put a relay that's probably 10 times bigger then the og....lol it makes things a little harder!

when i bought it i thought "this thing is gonna hold up great, it looks like it's for diesels" lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
MaxMayhem
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Waikato, NZ
Reply #20 - 04/13/10 at 19:15:12

LostArtist wrote on 04/12/10 at 21:35:43:
does 11/16 = 18 mm???

As I now am completely aware no it does not.
The 11/16" was too small by about 1mm all around the od of the plug.

A sales rep who comes into my work is a bit of a m/c fan, and went back to his place to get me a 18mm deep socket.

But as is typical of my luck with engines etc, he bought back a 1/2" drive socket, and I had to go thru about 3 different sets in our shop till I got an adaptor that wasn't too wide so I could turn the darn thing.

All the ones I already had were 3/8".

Finally got out the plug that was in the bike when I brought it, it was a NGK d7ea???  I put in a NGK dpr8ea-9.

Would the d7ea have caused anything bad to happen that I should take a look at?

Now I need to go and order a 18mm deep socket as the rep wants his one back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 04/14/10 at 01:53:40

A`lawn & garden store will have a plug wrench for small engines, somewhere in the$3.00 to $5.00 range, Lowes has them, last I looked. I didnt check to see if theyll fit our plugs, but they sure looked a lot like the one in the tool kit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:25:37

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Gas Tank Removal help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.