Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting out at High Speed, High Altitude (Read 91 times)
ColoradoSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cutting out at High Speed, High Altitude
03/18/10 at 22:02:06

To start, I love my wife's 2001 Savage.  Plenty of power for me, just not enough leg room.  She loves it for the light weight.  As I'm getting the bikes out this spring, I'm reminded of trouble she had last fall and wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

First off, we live in Colorado.  Home is at 5000ft elevation, which means less oxygen, so a leaner carb usually works a little better than one tuned for sea level.  A couple of years ago, I worked to adjust her carb (pilot screw only, not spacer, spring or jets) to minimize backfire and shutdown "poof" as much as possible, though it still certaily exists.  The bike has run great until a trip this summer.  We were cruising along at about 65mph when her bike cut out and shut down.  It started right back up (not a battery issue), but kept cutting out every 10 minutes or so.  It may be worth noting that we were at about 10,000 ft elevation, so a mixture that's too rich would sound like a likely culprit, but there was no smell of gas like flooding.  Also, we have ridden this route in the past with no troubles and I haven't made any adjustments since out last ride.  I haven't changed the plug in a while, so this is where I'm leaning, but wouldn't a fouled plug make it hard to restart the bike?  What about an ignition issue like points?  After limping it back to town, I haven't had any issues and can't recreate the cutting out.  Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cutting out at High Speed, High Altitude
Reply #1 - 03/18/10 at 22:12:58

Next time it cuts out, put it in prime and see if that cures the problem.

The possibles are...
cracked leaky vac hose, if it's a couple years old you might just replace to eliminate a probable.
leaky petcock, either diaphragm going bad, or loose screws on the back.
I found a petcock repair kit, check the tech doc's.

with a leaky vac system, fuel will cut out starving the carb after a couple of minutes.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/18/10 at 23:17:35

I'm pretty much inline with Versy's thinking...
especially if you were perhaps, climbing,... the vacuum operated petcock may not have received enough vacuum at 65mph on a steady upgrade, close to wide open throttle, and shut the flow of fuel... on prime setting the fuel will flow steady even at low vacuum...
but,... be advised... on prime setting, you will have no reserve in your tank... When you run out, you're walking...
There is a manual petcock replacement... see here...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

PS,..I'm at 2500ft, and often ride up to 9000ft... extra popping and less power up there is normal... you may blue your pipes too... all normal...
but the 65mph, plus altitude, and a slight grade can all add up to too low of an engine vacuum to keep the fuel line open... the factory don't care, they just need to pass EPA regs at sea level, where the bikes are delivered and tested...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/19/10 at 05:52:32

im at 4500' and ride up and over high passes,never an issue even b4 re jet..
grand jct here where are you ??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ColoradoSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/19/10 at 16:18:21

I'm in Fort Collins.  The problem happend on our way to Steamboat Springs.  Made it over Trail Ridge road just fine, although that's a slower drive.  It started acting up between Granby and Steamboat.  A few days later, on our way home, it did the same thing just before Walden, but was fine on the climbs up the passes (Rabbit Ears, Muddy and Cameron Passes).  It seems like climbing is fine (Steamboat up to Rabbit Ears pass is pretty steep, high and fast.  It's the high, flat plains that were causing the problems.  I'll certainly take a look at the vac hose.  I appreciate the advice.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/19/10 at 21:45:09

Hi speed is where a fuel filter first gives trouble, so if it still does it on "prime", then check for blockage in the fuel line and fuel filter.
An easy check ? Remove the fuel line from the carb and stick it in a clear glass container, and turn the petcock to "prime"......you should have a full hose stream coming out. Then check  the fuel for any contamination thru the clear glass.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
kerosene

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/19/10 at 21:49:22

ColoradoSavage wrote on 03/19/10 at 16:18:21:
I'm in Fort Collins.  The problem happend on our way to Steamboat Springs.  Made it over Trail Ridge road just fine, although that's a slower drive.  It started acting up between Granby and Steamboat.  A few days later, on our way home, it did the same thing just before Walden, but was fine on the climbs up the passes (Rabbit Ears, Muddy and Cameron Passes).  It seems like climbing is fine (Steamboat up to Rabbit Ears pass is pretty steep, high and fast.  It's the high, flat plains that were causing the problems.  I'll certainly take a look at the vac hose.  I appreciate the advice.

I know a family out in fort collins, they own land in the mountains an odd 40 miles away, I dont remember the property name, somewehre by estes park (sorry off topic)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 15:11:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting out at High Speed, High Altitude

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.