Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
getting the blues again (Read 86 times)
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
getting the blues again
03/18/10 at 09:31:43

2003 savage  and i have put a harley slip on # 64941-01 and a new lancer carb kit on this bike to fix where the mixture screw was eat up.. replaced that also...  Wink and then i adjusted screw 2 1/2 turns out.. bike sounds nice .. runs great except on speeds of 60+ she dont seeem to be getting her full clean run? just to me..

i had cleaned the pipe coming out of head with blue job stuff and had it real nice and shiny and now all of a sudden i notice the pipe is going back blue/purple..

I was told that this means it is running lean...?
surely not though..?
it actually seems to me to be running a little rich not lean and at 2 1/2 turns also? i dont wanna turn it out any more than it is now?... rather rich than lean.. i dont know if its running rich of course but intuition..?

whole point is it possible i have a issue?

the reason i did all this was to make the bike better from Past Owners  mistakes...

even though i ride everyday.. i live to ride with short sleeves Wink and its getting bout that time

thanks for any info ...
Peace

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Re: getting the blues again
Reply #1 - 03/18/10 at 09:59:04

You didn't say what exact jets you put in the carb, but it sounds like your main jet and/or needle (white spacer) is lean.  Could also be a sticky slide  or the big spring in the top of the carb is squished over to the side.  That happened to me and I couldn't go any faster than ~60 and yellowed my mac exhaust a bit too.

The mix screw only really affects idle and maybe slightly above.  Being very lean on the needle and main jet is what will blue your pipes fast (or worse) because much more fuel is being burnt and creating heat.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
GrateFuLDad

Boiling Springs,SC
Reply #2 - 03/18/10 at 10:41:31

lol i cant remember now what jets i put in there,,, thanks for the tip.. i hope to be pulling tank soon and i will see whats up in the carb...

Hang up that cell phone and let us that Ride LiVE....~!~

standingbearz   IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 03/18/10 at 10:47:41

dude you need to swap those bottom carb bowl screws for allen bolts   then you can change jets without havin to remove anything

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 03/18/10 at 11:10:22

Running rich will blue pipes too...

Blueing is just an indication of running hot... for whatever reason...
So,.. you may be rich...

The myth of "blue equals lean",... comes from the fact that bikes generally come from the factory a bit lean for use at sea level...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/18/10 at 12:46:22

I'm glad to hear the truth on bluing pipes.
And I'll add this,......just because pipes turned color, doesn't necessarily mean that you have any problem at all.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:37:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › getting the blues again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.