Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Need help with electrics (Read 1034 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Need help with electrics
03/18/10 at 05:16:16

The weather is getting nice for riding, and I got nothing to ride! Angry

Okay, let me give some history first.  My bike is on its 3rd battery in 2 years.  They seem to get drawn down way sooner than they should.  The alternator is not original, because I did a total motor transplant about 3 years ago.  The starter, rectifier, relays, coil, all electrics (except for the wiring harness from the alternator to the rectifier) are original. I did the cam chain adjuster and new cam chain about a month or two ago. In the process, I found the three yellow wires (left side) from alternator to rectifier all had exposed copper due to damaged insulation.  I fixed those with crimp splices and electrical tape.  I also found that the blue wire (right side) from neutral switch to connector under the tank was badly frayed at the clutch cover entry point and I repaired it the same way.  

"Current" problem (pun intended):  After I finished putting it all back together, I rode it around the neighborhood some, no problems noted.  Rode it to town 5 - 10 miles several times, no problems.  One cold morning (27F) I was gonna ride it to work, went out to crank it and it turned over only weakly, not strong enough to start up, so I went to work in the car.  Tried it that evening when I got home and it cranked right up.  Last ride was about a week ago, headed to town on an errand.  Coming down the exit ramp, I noticed the thing just sputtered a little, then it totally died, felt like it just stopped firing.  I tried bump cranking it before it came to a stop, got nothing.  Came to a stop, tried to crank it with the start button, engine would turn but not fire up.  Being as I was only 3 miles from home, I called my wife and had her to bring the car and a tow rope and we hobbled it home that way.  Took battery out and charged it.  Put battery in, tried to crank, got nothing except the two heavy clicks from the automatic decompression action.  Checked spark plug, very white, but of course I can't test it for firing.  Have explored all of the wires and connectors for breaks, corrosion, etc.  Battery is probably not holding its charge, but it does the same thing when I try to jump start it.  Fuses appear good.  Lights work, horn works, turn signals and brake lights work.  Speedometer indicator lights work EXCEPT for the neutral light which would not activate after I put it all back together; I figured it was just a bulb, but now not so sure, could be something wrong at the neutral light junction under the clutch cover?

The Clymer manual details some electrical diagnostics, but most of them are done either with motor running or at least warmed up, which I am unable to do 'cause it won't fire up.

I know I'm gonna need a new battery, but don't want to install one until I find out what's drawing it down.  Any ideas of things to pursue would be greatly appreciated.  Seems like something is grounding or shorting out? or maybe the starter is shot?  If you can suggest any simple diagnostics I can try, please share.  My last resort will be to take it to a Suzuki shop I trust and see if they can diagnose it for me. 

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Need help with electrics
Reply #1 - 03/18/10 at 07:15:08

bad alternator maybe?

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/18/10 at 07:38:24

with good everything except neutral lite, I'd begin there.  
But that's only a ground to turn the lite on.

Corrossion on the connectors for those yellow wires can cause battery problems, so splices there would be suspect.
But is it a battery issue?

I'd check out the starter relay.
The starter button has been an issue from time to time.  Can't hurt to clean it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/18/10 at 07:44:54

Are the batteries running low on H2O? If so, the regulatormay be cooking them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #4 - 03/18/10 at 09:08:34

verslagen1 wrote on 03/18/10 at 07:38:24:
with good everything except neutral lite, I'd begin there.  
But that's only a ground to turn the lite on.

The Clymer wiring diagram for a 2000 shows the side stand diode between the neutral light and neutral switch.  I think it (and through it the neutral switch) is only relied upon to power the side stand relay when the sidestand is down.  Meaning it wouldn't explain the running engine cutout.

Do what verslagen said.  Might check the engine stop switch for corrosion too while you're in there.  If testing the starter relay works and the starter motor runs, then maybe the decomp controller is bad?  Not sure what else can make the decomp coil fire but not the starter motor.

3 batteries in 2 years also says something is wrong.  Maybe regulator is not regulating?

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 03/18/10 at 09:08:36

All good ideas.  Can't test alternator with what I have, because IT WON'T RUN, DAMMIT!  Also, alternator came with engine, only has about 22,000 miles on it.  Can't test rectifier because (per Clymer's) a special tool/tester is required.  I'll try to check further into the neutral switch, starter switch and starter relay this evening.  J.O.G., now that you mention it, one (or maybe two) cells have needed water the last couple times I've put battery on charger, so that might be pointing to the rectifier (which, as I stated, is still the original one).  Vers., it is definitely a battery issue, but I think something else is CAUSING the battery issue.  

Thanks for the input.  I hate to take it in to the dealer since I've become more confident (and competent) in working on the bike, but I'm still reserving this option.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/20/10 at 00:00:50

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/20/10 at 00:53:23

Acts the same when you jump it? I'd disregard the battery, rectifier and alternator for a moment, until you get it to crank and start.

Check the starter. Jump it from car ground to bike ground and from car positive to STARTER TERMINAL directly (under rubber cap on the starter). Make sure you are in neutral!!!! Just check if it spins or not when under good 12V.

If starter is spinning check the starter relay. Car ground to bike ground, car positive to bike battery + and another wire from bike positive to y/b on the relay. That should bypass the ignition switch and kill/start buttons, if all good should click and engage the starter.

I'd go with these two for now. Post what happens.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 03/20/10 at 06:27:33

Dasch has it right,.....check the basic stuff first, bypassing switches, sillynoids etc. If that works, then start adding the solenoid saftey switches etc. Use process of elimination.

If you do your own trouble shooting, work etc, you should have at minimum..........
1-  12v probe test light
2-  A hand held digital voltmeter
3-  A continuity checker w/ internal battery (could be in volt meter)

(caution, never touch a continuity tester to 12 volts)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 03/22/10 at 05:16:23

Good info from all.  I didn't have time to work on bike this weekend.  Wife said yard needed cleaning.  Will try starter and starter relay tests.  I have an auto multimeter, Routy; will that suffice?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/22/10 at 06:46:57

Yes,....and most have a continuity scale in them also.

But for trouble shooting, a 12v test probe is probably used more than anything,.... much nicer for probing into wires etc, and getting into tight spots. The digital multimeter is better for technical voltage testing of batteries, and charging systems etc.

serenity3743 wrote on 03/22/10 at 05:16:23:
Good info from all.  I didn't have time to work on bike this weekend.  Wife said yard needed cleaning.  Will try starter and starter relay tests.  I have an auto multimeter, Routy; will that suffice?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #11 - 03/24/10 at 16:01:15

Okay, Dasch.  The starter spins with your test as above.  But I cannot get the starter to activate through the relay wire (Y/B).  See if I did it right:  Jumper cable from car battery to Savage battery.  I pulled off the Y/B wire connector at the starter relay and inserted an 18 gauge wire, running it to the + battery connection:  nothing happens.  More advice, please?

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/24/10 at 19:18:11

Before I say "starter relay is dead". Let me just confirm:
car + to bike +
car ground to bike ground
bike + to relay Y/B

If that's it - then... that's it!! Relay appears stuck or burned.
Disconnect relay and check continnuity with ohm meter beetween Y/B and Black contacts. We go from there.
If there is continuity - stuck. Try lightly knocking it with a screwdriver handle a few times. Maybe that releases it - short term solution, but it might get you spinning for now.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 03/25/10 at 07:44:17

Dasch, here is the part I'm unclear about:  Do I touch the extra wire to the Y/B connecTOR, or do I touch it to the Y/B connecTION on the relay itself?  I only tried it the first way, but looking back should have tried it the second way also.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 03/25/10 at 09:19:31

When you connect positive battery voltage to the little terminal on the starter relay, (which is what the starter button on the handlebars does)that should close (connect) the large terminals on the relay, which would in turn bring positive voltage from the battery to the starter making it spin.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:23:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with electrics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.